New Skyhawk HH discussion and thoughts.

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:25 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Bsf4t ... 8d5d9201f6

Announcement video just dropped.

On the one hand, anything with that F-100/skyhawk/cavalier body shape is A-OK in my book because It think it's a really strong offset design.

However, IMO, the offset waist of the platform is PERFECTLY suited for the HG-2r angled offset humbuckers. I don't know why, but ever since I saw them on an old Cavalier, they've been my dream pickups.

When the new Skyhawk came out, I was so hopeful for the Cavalier to come out shortly afterwards, because they were on the same platform.

I'm fairly sure this Skyhawk HH is what they're doing in lieu of a Cavalier. I guess installing standard sized humbuckers is much cheaper than re-machining and re-molding the old HG-2R's and the covers.

My dreams have been dashed!

Re: New Skyhawk HH discussion and thoughts.

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:57 pm

I too have been curious about the prospect of the Cavalier coming back even though I've never even heard one. They really were a nice looking guitar. Not sure how I feel about this offering. It could be fun. Kinda reminds me of an EB guitar with the dual buckers on it though. I would have more interest in a Skyhawk with Doheny p'ups as I gravitate to single coils.

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:23 pm

yeah it does look like an eb guitar which I think are kind of ugly. one of the reasons for that is the bat relationship between offset weird body silhouettes and rectangular 90 degree angles on the internals like those full size humbuckers.

I still really really hope they bring back the cav. this seems like the last nail in the coffin but I still hold out some hope.

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:32 pm

mutts wrote:I too have been curious about the prospect of the Cavalier coming back even though I've never even heard one. They really were a nice looking guitar. Not sure how I feel about this offering. It could be fun. Kinda reminds me of an EB guitar with the dual buckers on it though. I would have more interest in a Skyhawk with Doheny p'ups as I gravitate to single coils.

Agreed - the Skyhawk looks nice, but it is reminiscent of the current EBMM StingRay guitar. The Skyhawk to me looks cleaner with the longer control plate; the StingRay's truncated control plate looks off to me (as does the toggle switch on the upper horn). Also the Skyhawk HH has coil splits which makes it more versatile than the StingRay - before you add the PTB instead of a master tone.

The Cavalier, with the unique MFD angled humbuckers, would be a more interesting offering.

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:44 pm

I don't have a problem with it - it's easy, so they did it. I don't think it's really a 'substitute' for anything else they might do in the future. Someone in a guitar store or surfing online will pick one up and like it, without already being an 'I need a G&L' mindset.

That said - It's sort of a Superhawk with front routing, isn't it? It isn't really an offset, any more than say a Strat also has a slightly offset waist (if you look close,) but is not an Offset. The actual Offset patent specifies a certain degree of offset in the waist. To my eyes, the F100/Skyhawk shape doesn't really look offset either. I'd love to see this in hardtail/saddle lock - Or the standard Skyhawk for that matter.

It does sort of look like a Stingray below which is not a coincidence for obvious reasons - and I don't think that's a bad thing, they both look good (the Stingray actually is Offset.)

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:43 pm

it is offset in the way a mustang is offset. Not as obvious as the jag/JM platform, but considerably more offset waist than a strat.

I think this looks very similar to a mustang in terms of the relationship between the bottom and the waist.

At any rate, the cavalier is the best looking guitar out of this platform IMO. I really, really, really want one.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:22 am

I too would love to see the Cavalier make a return. Yes, retooling the pickup would be an expense, but I think it would pay off. There is nothing else out there quite like the Cavalier. I've got two of them and I can vouch for their sound. I think part of the reason they may be apprehensive to making the Cavalier pickups is the F-100 remake was a not a successful seller. They spent the time and money on retooling the F-100 humbuckers and sales were almost nonexistent.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:54 am

G&L hasn't been averse to tooling new pickups - examples being the Doheny single, Doheny humbucker, Espada, in just the last couple years.

They already re-tooled the F100 pickups so I don't see them abandoning those just yet. Tthe last F100 reissues weren't really exciting to fans of classic G&L, and there was no/little marketing effort to get them in the hands of anyone else. G&L seems to have gotten better at both marketing and creating appealing products since then.

So I still won't rule out a future F100 and Cavalier release - I'd love to see both :)

Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:38 am

I'm one of the few who wanted an f-100. I wanted it in yellow fever. the moment I was ready to buy, they discontinued the color. now the color is back but the f100 js gone!

and yeah I know I sound like an obsessive but i think those slanted soalbars go a LONG way in terms of market appeal. they just look so. damn. cool.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:19 am

Getting back into subtle things to be pedantic about - one thing that bugged me a bit about the last F100 series was the differences in the body horns; they're longer and thicker on the reissues than the original Leo era shapes. US F100 and Cantrell Superhawk models seem affected (but not import Superhawks which ironically look correct.)

I'm glad the body shape got re-worked with the new Skyhawks. I'd still love one of the last reissue F100s; even one of the hardtail/bound ones with EMGs.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:10 pm

I had one of the 30th anniversary (reissue) F-100's. The pickups were wound much hotter/darker than the original MFD humbuckers from the early 1980's. While it looked similar, it was not the same guitar. It sounded good in its own right and was very comfortable to hold and play. It begged for high gain, which I don't play a lot of. I do miss it from time to time, however.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:46 pm

Funny - My '83 F100 already has quite high output pickups, to my ears - for ~7k DCR the ceramic magnets seem to be enough to let them keep up with my JB-equipped Jackson. They both clip my cheap audio interface about the same, anyway.

Back on topic, I've never played a Cavalier but I'd love to. And the pickups do change the whole aesthetic as well.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:23 pm

neutralomen wrote:I'm fairly sure this Skyhawk HH is what they're doing in lieu of a Cavalier. I guess installing standard sized humbuckers is much cheaper than re-machining and re-molding the old HG-2R's and the covers.

I really think this is the case here. But I don't think this means the HG-2Rs are off the table. I know if it was me, I'd would test the market with the single coils and humbuckers first to gauge the acceptance of the styling and ergonomics before committing the pickup specifically to that platform. I also think the skyhawk platform is the most likely initial platform to have acceptance for these pickups.

I'd love to see a HG-2 guitar with an HG-2R bridge and HG-2 neck pu.

I wouldn't give up hope. Sometimes, things take longer than we hope! No inside knowledge of coarse...

Cheers, Dan

Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:45 am

WitSok wrote:I'd love to see a HG-2 guitar with an HG-2R bridge and HG-2 neck pu.

Yes! Leftie too, please...

Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:48 am

Challenger wrote:I had one of the 30th anniversary (reissue) F-100's. The pickups were wound much hotter/darker than the original MFD humbuckers from the early 1980's. While it looked similar, it was not the same guitar. It sounded good in its own right and was very comfortable to hold and play. It begged for high gain, which I don't play a lot of. I do miss it from time to time, however.

I couldn't agree more about the 30th version of the F-100. As the guy that bought it from you I can say I'm not surprised you moss it. It is darker and can growl quite easily when asked to and I like that sound. The Mahogany/Ebony combination have always been my favorite and the neck on this one is very comfortable.

As far as the Skyhawks go, I prefer the older ones. But then again, I have always preferred Leo era goodness.

Tom

Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:44 am

I am really interested in this guitar. I wonder if the Custom Shop would do this in a lefty with the 1 11/16" neck option?...

Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:00 am

lefty_major wrote:I am really interested in this guitar. I wonder if the Custom Shop would do this in a lefty with the 1 11/16" neck option?...

Contact a G&L Custom Shop dealer and tell them what you want. They will then submit this request to G&L Sales for approval.

An alternative: if you are ok with the FD Skyhawk HH body wood and color choices and the neck profile, you can order a lefty FD Skyhawk HH and then
take it to luthier to replace the nut cut for 1 11/16" string spacing.

Hope this helps.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:59 am

Thank you, Craig.

Maybe I am missing something but is the only difference between the Skyhawk HH and the Legacy HH the body design and headstock?

I'm digging the look of the Skyhawk with humbuckers. It's a really cool looking guitar.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:43 am

lefty_major wrote:Thank you, Craig.

Maybe I am missing something but is the only difference between the Skyhawk HH and the Legacy HH the body design and headstock?

I'm digging the look of the Skyhawk with humbuckers. It's a really cool looking guitar.

Here are the Specs for each, so you can compare:

Legacy® HH
Pickups: G&L AS4255W humbucker in neck position; G&L AW4470W humbucker in bridge position
Controls: 3-way pickup selector, volume, PTB system, mini-toggle coil split for both humbuckers
Bridge: G&L Dual-Fulcrum Vibrato with brass saddles
Neck profile: Modern Classic
Radius: 9.5”
Body wood: Alder on standard and solid finishes, Swamp Ash on Premier finishes
Finish: Standard finishes included

Fullerton Deluxe Skyhawk™ HH
Available in the following finishes:
Old School Tobacco Sunburst over Okoume, Caribbean rosewood fingerboard, Vintage Gloss neck finish
Surf Green over Alder body, Caribbean rosewood fingerboard, Vintage Gloss neck finish

Pickups: G&L AS4255C humbucker in neck position; G&L AW4368C humbucker in bridge position
Body wood: Okoume body for Old School Tobacco Sunburst, Alder body for Surf Green
Neck wood: Hard-Rock Maple with Caribbean Rosewood fingerboard
Neck profile: Modern Classic
Radius: 9 1/2”
Nut: 100% natural bone
Tuning keys: 12:1 ratio, sealed-back
Bridge: Leo Fender-designed G&L Dual-Fulcrum™ vibrato with forged brass saddles
Controls: 3-position pickup selector, volume, treble, bass (PTB™ system), push/pull coil tap for both pickups
Case: deluxe Tolex hardshell
No Options Available

Hope this helps.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:56 pm

Yes, that helps. Thanks again!

Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:49 pm

Thinking about it, if they 'do a Cavalier' - I think offering without pickguard/hardtail would be awesome:

Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:52 pm

Danley wrote:Thinking about it, if they 'do a Cavalier' - I think offering without pickguard/hardtail would be awesome:

+1 :thumbup:

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:19 am

Love the look of the HH Skyhawk. Not to mention coil splits and PTB on board. Very cool design and functionality. The G&L humbuckers are pretty good, but would be more intrigued by an MFD bucker

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:20 pm

I was looking at Skyhawks today and realized I prefer the crinkle control plate. I wonder what these would look like with a black guard, no p/u covers and the crinkle plate.

mikemjr12 wrote:Love the look of the HH Skyhawk. Not to mention coil splits and PTB on board. Very cool design and functionality. The G&L humbuckers are pretty good, but would be more intrigued by an MFD bucker

I was curious about the pick ups. I've never heard them in person.

Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:29 am

Danley wrote:Thinking about it, if they 'do a Cavalier' - I think offering without pickguard/hardtail would be awesome:

I agree. I'd go further to remove the control plate(I don't like control plates that look like they're connected to an invisible pickguard)
simplify the control scheme and just embrace the awesome silhouette of the body against those slanted pups.

If they ever drop the Cav, this is what I'd get from the custom shop.

Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:17 am

For me the 'blobby/quirky' control panel on an island is a hallmark of the early G&L designs - though I see why people might not like it. I wish the most recent SC2 & F100 reissues had the plate. I'd keep the PTB system, I don't know how Cavalier pickups are but I think having a bass knob suits MFD pickups well from what I've played.

The big ticket for me is the hardtail - all the CLF designs so far have a DFV.

Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:40 am

Danley wrote:For me the 'blobby/quirky' control panel on an island is a hallmark of the early G&L designs - though I see why people might not like it. I wish the most recent SC2 & F100 reissues had the plate. I'd keep the PTB system, I don't know how Cavalier pickups are but I think having a bass knob suits MFD pickups well from what I've played.

The big ticket for me is the hardtail - all the CLF designs so far have a DFV.

Any day now that will happen ...

First production Espada bodies undercoated in the paint department. Johnny is almost done with the details in the control plate assembly
so we should be able to officially launch and ship in April.

Stay tuned.

Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:07 am

Craig wrote:
First production Espada bodies undercoated in the paint department. Johnny is almost done with the details in the control plate assembly
so we should be able to officially launch and ship in April.

Stay tuned.

If you would make one of these in LH, I'd give you my CC info today...

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:37 am

Is that black shielding paint in the body cavity of the Espada? If so, it is long overdue and will make a big improvement.

Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:02 am

Challenger wrote:Is that black shielding paint in the body cavity of the Espada? If so, it is long overdue and will make a big improvement.

Yes, most (if not all) of the CLF Research instruments and the G&L Custom Shop instruments have additional shielding paint in the body control cavity.