2006 S-500 question

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:22 pm

I have what I believe to be a 2006 S-500. I cant seem to find another one like it, the head stock doesn't say tribute series or made in USA.
It has the toggle switch. Can someone please give me some insight on this guitar?

Last edited by Craig on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Admin removed spam link

Re: 2006 S-500 question

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:20 pm

Cheeksea wrote:I have what I believe to be a 2006 S-500. I cant seem to find another one like it, the head stock doesn't say tribute series or made in USA.
It has the toggle switch. Can someone please give me some insight on this guitar?

This ia a Tribute S-500 and the headstock decal below the G&L logo was removed. The decal removed says "Tribute Series".
The serial number is a Tribute Series only serial number: 06048873. It was made in Korea in April 2006, see: Re: Serial number significance.
The pickups are made in the Fullerton factory and are the same ones used on the US S-500 model, see: Note About G&L Tribute Series Guitar Pickups.

The mini toggle switch is the pickup expander switch, see: What is the expander switch used on many of the models?

If the seller sold this as a US model, you were frauded by them. Did it come with a G&L gigbag?

Hope this helps.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:49 am

Awesome, thank you for the information. This guitar was bought new by my father in laws friend and then given to him and later passed down to me. Yes it did come with a padded G&L bag.

What is odd to me is I haven't really noticed any other tribute s500's with the mini toggle switch, an I mistaken?

I cant imagine who would've removed the tribute sticker. I guess that will remain a mystery. The overall quality and playability of this guitar is way beyond any American strat I have played before. I cant get over how incredible and versatile these pickups are!

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:16 am

The U.S. made S-500 uses a toggle switch for the "Expander" that connects neck and bridge pickups. The Tribute used to use a toggle, but switched to a push-pull potentiometer a while ago.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:26 am

Oh wow, I never realized they switched to a push-pull. I appreciate the info! These guitars are such a bargain, I see them selling used for around $350 quite often. The quality is outstanding.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:34 am

Cheeksea wrote:Awesome, thank you for the information. This guitar was bought new by my father in laws friend and then given to him and later passed down to me. Yes it did come with a padded G&L bag.

What is odd to me is I haven't really noticed any other tribute s500's with the mini toggle switch, an I mistaken?

I cant imagine who would've removed the tribute sticker. I guess that will remain a mystery. The overall quality and playability of this guitar is way beyond any American strat I have played before. I cant get over how incredible and versatile these pickups are!

In 2007 (when they changed the manufactoring location to Indonesia) they changed the mini-toggle switch to a push-pull on one of the tone pots.

Regarding the decal, the satin finish is very thin and it may have come off during a cleaning of the headstock.

Hope this helps.

Please add your Tribute S-500 to our G&L Registry.