Okoume vs. Swamp Ash

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:05 pm

What are the advantages and disadvantages to these woods for bodies? Why did G&L switch over to Okoume? Is it as durable as the ash--or does it dent and ding easier? Thanks.

Re: Okoume vs. Swamp Ash

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:49 pm

No idea on the differences, but there are numerous websites that discuss the characteristics of various wood species. You should be able to find your answer there.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:08 pm

Stick wrote:What are the advantages and disadvantages to these woods for bodies? Why did G&L switch over to Okoume? Is it as durable as the ash--or does it dent and ding easier? Thanks.

I don't believe they switched. It was probably an option order guitar. It would have been built to the customers PO. Almost everything in this time period was built to option order. Fullerton standard series was not part of 2017 catalog as I recall. My understanding is Okoume is essentially mahogany. In my opinion it is more aesthetics on transparent finishes. Any tone difference I would be minimal in my opinion. It comes down to what you like.

Swamp Ash For models and colors which come standard with Alder, Swamp Ash may be specified. ORDER CODE: ASH
Lightweight American Basswood For solid colors, Lightweight American Basswood may be specified. ORDER CODE: BAS
Okoume For models and colors which come standard with Alder, Okoume may be specified. ORDER CODE: OKU

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:10 pm

WitSok wrote:
Stick wrote:What are the advantages and disadvantages to these woods for bodies? Why did G&L switch over to Okoume? Is it as durable as the ash--or does it dent and ding easier? Thanks.

I don't believe they switched. It was probably an option order guitar. It would have been built to the customers PO. Almost everything in this time period was built to option order. Fullerton standard series was not part of 2017 catalog as I recall. My understanding is Okoume is essentially mahogany. In my opinion it is more aesthetics on transparent finishes. Any tone difference I would be minimal in my opinion. It comes down to what you like.

Swamp Ash For models and colors which come standard with Alder, Swamp Ash may be specified. ORDER CODE: ASH
Lightweight American Basswood For solid colors, Lightweight American Basswood may be specified. ORDER CODE: BAS
Okoume For models and colors which come standard with Alder, Okoume may be specified. ORDER CODE: OKU

The Fullerton Standard Series was brought back in 2017 beginning with the ASAT Classic and Legacy models, see: February 1-August 31, 2017 G&L U.S. Specifications & Options.

Okoume is also called "Equatorial Mahogany", see this post for more: Re: 2012 Legacy "Equitorial Mahogony"

Hope this helps.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:57 am

Is Okoumne softer and thus more easily damaged? Show less grain? Thanks.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:51 am

The link Craig provided shows an example in natural finish, so that should give you a good idea of the grain pattern.

This link describes it a soft and tone similar to maple. In my opinion wood make only minor impact on tone of a solid body electric guitar.

http://tonewooddatasource.weebly.com/wo ... s-n-q.html

More pictures to see grain pattern. I'd say it look similar to mahogany.

http://tonewooddatasource.weebly.com/wo ... s-n-p.html

I'd say advantages and disadvantages of various woods would fall under several factors:

1. Aesthetics
2. Weight
3. Ease of manufacturing (does it chip, easy to cut, form, sand, etc...)
4. Ease of finishing (easy to sand, is it porous and require filler? etc...)
5. Durability

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:54 am

Thanks Craig, it seems like it hasn't been that long. I saw Stick was inquiring about a Bluesboy, so that would not have been part of the Fullerton Standard series run, so it would have been a made to order guitar and thus the wood was the customer (in this case could be the dealers) choice per the purchase order.

Cheers, Dan

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:25 am

Swamp ash varies in weight from heavier to most alder, to lighter than most alder. Lightweight Swamp ash is my favorite tonewood, but it's hard to make sure a light blank is selected for your build(unless you do a custom shop).

Empress and Okoume and those lightweight woods are fine I'm sure, but they make neck-heavy basses, IMO. For guitars I don't see a reason not to use them.