Feedback on higher gain with ASAT Classic MFD

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:36 am

I searched this forum and the archives but did not find the answers to this apparently common question. My phone is my computer so maybe it's harder to find on a phone than on a desktop computer. If someone could link me to the answers I would very much appreciate it.

How can I play songs like Mississippi Queen in my classic rock/country cover band without having to switch to a guitar with humbuckers? My new ASAT Classic with MFDs feeds back out of control even with a noise gate when I turn up the gain for heavy seventies rock. I haven't even tried the eighties covers tunes that we do yet.

Thank you
Mike

Re: Feedback on higher gain with ASAT Classic MFD

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:21 pm

A bit more information:

I just tested my new ASAT classic cranked with a fuzz pedal and the feedback was not quite as bad as with the overdrive and boost I was using in rehearsals. Then I compared it to my stratocaster with both humbuckers and single coils.

While the feedback was less in this setting with the fuzz and the asat, there was no feedback with the humbucker or single coil on the stratocaster. HOWEVER, the stratocaster did not have the tone or anything else that I love about the ASAT. And the output volume from the mfd pickups was significantly higher than the Dimarzio PAF.

They do not exhibit any of the crackles or metal on metal sounds described by those with microphic pickups. They only buzz very slightly when I am not touching the guitar. They buzz more with no hands and between pickups. That is a non issue. I'm just treating this like a dr visit and telling you everything.

I just tried lowering the bridge pickup to lower the output. With fuzz on and volume cranked.... no feedback!?

Maybe proximity to the strings aids in the creation of feedback?

Next step, I'll try it in rehearsal Tuesday with the same pedals plus the fuzz and the new height.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:20 pm

asat special could be a jack of all trades for many different styles of music. i'm a big fan of those p'ups.

i think feedback is promoted in part with higher gain p'ups (more turns or winds of wire), higher gain settings on the amp, higher midrange setting on amp, and position of p'ups relative to the speaker of the amp.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:51 pm

Mike D wrote:A bit more information:

I just tested my new ASAT classic cranked with a fuzz pedal and the feedback was not quite as bad as with the overdrive and boost I was using in rehearsals. Then I compared it to my stratocaster with both humbuckers and single coils.

While the feedback was less in this setting with the fuzz and the asat, there was no feedback with the humbucker or single coil on the stratocaster. HOWEVER, the stratocaster did not have the tone or anything else that I love about the ASAT. And the output volume from the mfd pickups was significantly higher than the Dimarzio PAF.

They do not exhibit any of the crackles or metal on metal sounds described by those with microphic pickups. They only buzz very slightly when I am not touching the guitar. They buzz more with no hands and between pickups. That is a non issue. I'm just treating this like a dr visit and telling you everything.

I just tried lowering the bridge pickup to lower the output. With fuzz on and volume cranked.... no feedback!?

Maybe proximity to the strings aids in the creation of feedback?

Next step, I'll try it in rehearsal Tuesday with the same pedals plus the fuzz and the new height.

Pickup height has been discussed many times on the G&LDP. Do a Search using this keyword string "pickup +height" and you will find over 300 matches.

Hope this helps.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:12 am

I assume MFDs are wax-potted? I wonder if another dip in wax might help.

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:26 am

I've had a few rehearsals standing in the same spot that I had feedback earlier. No feedback any more.

I slightly lowered the bridge pickup and backed off the gain a touch.

Thank you