Legacy with T sounds?

Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:39 am

Want to create a custom build based on a Legacy that can do T-style sounds with the bridge pup. Am thinking that having a fixed tailpiece and changing the bridge pup would be the way to go (or at least having metal beneath that pup).
So am I off base? Which pups would you recommend? What kind of wood?

Any help is appreciated. I love the sound and feel of the G&L but want the flexibility in one guitar.

Help!

Harlan

Re: Legacy with T sounds?

Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:21 pm

My recommendation is: drum roll please...

Don't have to re-invent the wheel - get an ASAT S. It the G&L T with a 3rd pickup like the Legacy. Here's an example of, uh, 3:

Fixed tailpiece, G&L T-pickup in the bridge. They come along regularly at the better retailers and used. Great guitars. Killer tones - all the combos you're looking for in one guitar.

Hazy

Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:37 pm

hazy wrote:My recommendation is: drum roll please...

Don't have to re-invent the wheel - get an ASAT S. It the G&L T with a 3rd pickup like the Legacy. Here's an example of, uh, 3:

Fixed tailpiece, G&L T-pickup in the bridge. They come along regularly at the better retailers and used. Great guitars. Killer tones - all the combos you're looking for in one guitar.

Hazy

One major correction: the ASAT Classic S has an S-500 middle MFD pickup.
The Legacy has Alnico pickups. If he wasn't looking to retain the Legacy/S-500 body style, the ASAT Classic S would definitely be a good fit.

Sorry, I can't provide any other help.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:52 am

harlanlampert wrote:Want to create a custom build based on a Legacy that can do T-style sounds with the bridge pup. Am thinking that having a fixed tailpiece and changing the bridge pup would be the way to go (or at least having metal beneath that pup).
So am I off base? Which pups would you recommend? What kind of wood?
Harlan

Good points from Craig. However, I guess the question really is:

With the G&L options and your pickup and bridge requirements: 1) Do you want the Legacy body style and sound; or, 2) Is it the Legacy sound that you're after? If the answer is "1", only one way to go. If the answer is "2", different ways to get there.

In reviewing the original post, looks like #1.

Hazy

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:54 am

I much prefer the 12" radius neck. HOWEVER, I'm not against the ASAT body style at all. Neck and sound is important. I rarely use tremolo so that's not an issue either way. I'd like to get as close to the vintage strat-quack and tele sounds as possible. The newer S-500 pickups don't really do it for me.

So any kind of build would work. My local retailer suggests that it might be easier to have the G&L customize a Legacy because of the 3 pickup array. But if I can find a used one with an ASAT body that's got the three pickups...cool.

By the way, thanks for the interesting responses already. Those three guitars look fantastic!

Harlan

Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:02 pm

Seymour Duncan has a strat pickup that is supposed to get the sound of the tele bridge pickup, and they drop right in the slot. That might be something to try in a stock Legacy before ordering a custom guitar.

Bill

Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:18 pm

I'm real interested in the ASAT Classic S. There are 3 in the photo. How are they different? Can you get vintage strat and tele sounds out of them? Give me some ideas of the clean sounds. I'd really appreciate more guidance.

Thanks