NGD Christmas Survey

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:45 am

Well I know from his recent post that fellow forum member Sam received a very cool present this year. I too was fortunate to have received such a gift and I know that others have posted about Christmas, Birthday and other occasion gifts of sweet guitars. What I would like to know is who else has a wife or other family member with the genuine spirit of giving such awesome instruments and what's the story behind it.

Here's mine: My wife and I are both in our early sixties and after all this time pretty much have every thing we need. For that we are truly blessed. So, it's always hard for my wife to get me gifts since when there is something I want or need I go out and buy it. Plus I am a bit picky and it has to be just right. She usually gets jewelry, She loves Tiffany stuff so there is no end to what's available and as long as it comes in that light blue bag, (a great color for a guitar BTW) and has that logo I really can't go wrong.

This year, a couple of months ago a guitar popped up in inventory of a shop where I have bought several extremely cool G&Ls including BC003 and the F-100 Prototype. I have become somewhat friends with the president of the company so It's not too hard to talk him down a bit or sometimes a lot. Anyway, I went to my wife and showed her the add and said, if you really want to get me something really cool, this is it. I gave her the name and number of my friend and said call him and tell him who you are and talk him down a couple hundred bucks as it's the only thing I have ever (almost) asked specifically for. Well she did and he did and she bought the guitar. It arrived almost two months ago so I just had to look at a sealed box in the basement for all that time.

Its an NOS ASAT JR. My favorite combination of Mahogany all round and Ebony fingerboard. It's AWESOME!

So who else is lucky to have such a cool wife? Years ago when we were dating I said I wanted a H&K .45 USP semi auto handgun and she went and bought it for me. Funny story too because the guys at the gun shop were hassling her about buying such a big gun for a girl that stands 5'2" and weighs 130. When she told them she was buying it for her boyfriend their jaws hit the floor. They couldn't believe she was buying it for a guy and went on and on about how lucky I was and how they wished they had a girl friend that would buy them a gun. Good old Texas girl, sweet as sugar but knows how to handle a gun. Great wife.

Heres the Jr.

happy Holidays all!

Tom

Re: NGD Christmas Survey

Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:56 pm

I have a cool wife too and we generally get what we really want through out the year , this year I got a Climax and what a fabulous guitar it is for me , love the wide thin neck , light weight body and upper fret access relief , this would be a good one for G&L to remake IMHO

Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:10 pm

Nice ASAT, congrats! Really wish they'd kept in the direction of the Climax; would love to see a modern iteration of one, maybe with 24 frets and the thin neck joint etc.

I've never received any gear as a gift from my wife, but on the other hand she also doesn't notice/care about all the gear I tend to accumulate on my own or ask how much it costs etc. ; I pretty much do just grab whatever I want, which is enough for me :)

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:15 pm

Yes Tom, like you fortunate enough to have a wife like you who has supported or put up with my guitar and Instrument obsession.

Fumble, great Climax score! Was building one some time ago and never finished. Live the neck. I think the tribute ASAT HB has a similar neck, trying to find one of those. Look forward to seeing pictures of yer new gitar! :alright:

Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:32 pm

Love the ASAT Jr, Tom. Congrat's! and a red one, too...nice :luv:

My wife feels overwhelmed by the universe of guitars, and her way of "getting" me a nice gtr is: i find a good deal, she approves it, and I order it.

That said, she did totally surprise me once. Back in the early 90's, I was working too much and playing too little, I had sold off some of my gear from the '80's (including my '70's twin reverb, one of the "ones that got away"), and just had my LP and a little Peavey 1x12 to knock around on. Some how between my son and my brother as informants, she figured out i had been looking at some of the multi-effectors of the day, and ordered me a digitech RP-1 from MF, which was really awesome in alot of ways. It blew me away and rekindled my interest in some of the music of the day, like Extreme [Nuno], STP, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, etc... and inspired me to start playing with a band, again.

Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:41 am

Forgot to say congratulations on the ASAT Jr. Beautiful addition to yer G&L collection.

Sounds like you could do a commercial for the guitar shop like the Shane jewelry ads, “I have a friend in the G&L business.” :happy0007:

Looking forward to hearing more follow up on this guitar.

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:54 pm

I got this https://www.cashconverters.com.au/shop/music-tv-video/musical-instruments/guitars-string-instruments/bass-guitar/002500347341 one. I'll try to post some better pictures later.

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:57 pm

nice grab, dhgleaves! what's the diff btw the Climax and an L-1000??

I just got one of my boys a used Trib L-2000, trans orange, maple board, excellent quality instrument!

Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:43 am

drjho7 wrote:nice grab, dhgleaves! what's the diff btw the Climax and an L-1000??

I just got one of my boys a used Trib L-2000, trans orange, maple board, excellent quality instrument!

Thanks. The L-1000 was the first bass every made by G&L, although it's also been re-released. The Climax came after the original L-1000s, but was only made for a few years. I think the main difference is that the L-1000 is/was passive only, whereas the Climax has active and passive, plus a pre-amp switch. At least based on the current L-1000s, I think the body woods are also different.
David

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:34 pm

dhgleaves wrote:
drjho7 wrote:nice grab, dhgleaves! what's the diff btw the Climax and an L-1000??

Thanks. The L-1000 was the first bass every made by G&L, although it's also been re-released. The Climax came after the original L-1000s, but was only made for a few years. I think the main difference is that the L-1000 is/was passive only, whereas the Climax has active and passive, plus a pre-amp switch. At least based on the current L-1000s, I think the body woods are also different.
David

The pickup position is different between the L-1000 and Climax too, with the Climax pickup being closer to the bridge than the L-1000, kind of in between the 2 on the L-2000 (positionally speaking). And David is correct in his assessment of the different in electronics, see my write-ups for the (passive) L-1000 harness and the Climax/L-1500 harness, which uses a LF441CN Low Power JFET based preamp..

- Jos