Soon to be NGD / Screaming Deal SC-2

Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:13 pm

New to the forum but wanted to share this great deal (price deleted) on a SC-2 in Himalaya Blue in case others are in the market. I just pulled the trigger on one myself.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars ... z4QAvD_BwE
Last edited by Craig on Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: post edited by Admin to remove actual price.

Re: Soon to be NGD / Screaming Deal SC-2

Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:13 pm

WOW!!! :shocked003:

Super deal and congratulations. If not for other purchases lately that would be very tempting.

Welcome as well. Go to the introductions page and tell us more about yourself and jump in often. Also be sure to register your new score.

Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Awesome - This is the holiday deal I was waiting for, but as it turns out it's not a great time to splurge for me either so holding back, reluctantly.

Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:57 pm

jdetente wrote:New to the forum but wanted to share this great deal (price deleted) on a SC-2 in Himalaya Blue in case others are in the market. I just pulled the trigger on one myself.

This is interesting in that the SC-2 model was discontinued in January 2018. I see that the photo of the guitar in the Ad was built in May 2018. I emailed a couple of contacts at G&L to try and
get the details on this, since I have not heard about the return of the SC-2; plus it is not listed on the main G&L website, either.

As you probably have noticed I removed the actual price, since we are not allow to post new prices here. Please do review this post: Welcome! Read This First.

Will be looking forward to seeing your Introduction post and photos of your SC-2.

Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Apologies for that. I believe they are moving out old stock. This was the second reduction and they told me that they had 15 new in stock when I called them up...

Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:17 pm

jdetente wrote:Apologies for that. I believe they are moving out old stock. This was the second reduction and they told me that they had 15 new in stock when I called them up...

That is pressuring me :happy0007:

Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:24 am

Maaaaaaaan..... that’s got to be one of the best deals I’ve ever seen. Wish I had the funds!

Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:14 am

...or one in LH.

Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:28 pm

Dammit...couldn't resist...pulled the trigger on two of them. I always liked the Himalaya Blue on a guitar, reminds me of the blue of the old Mustangs. I figure I could wait a while and sell the second one for a profit and end up with a very good price on an awesome guitar. I hope there's nothing wrong with them. They have the Fullerton etching on the headstock and a serial number of CLF1805*** so they must be made in the US. Anybody know if these were made specifically for Musicians Friend or not? It's funny cause if anything is wonky, they can be returned as not being what was described in the add cause it does say it's a string through body design even though it's not. But, I feel good about this one for some reason. Nice price for a new US G&L, best I have seen. so...Merry Christmas!!

Tom

edit: Interesting side note: there are only three SC2s in Himalaya Blue with Saddle Lock bridge listed in the Registry...

Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Tom,

I always knew you were smarter than the average bear, fantastic approach to such a good deal. :evilgrin: Now I have to figure out how to explain "This is such a good deal. I know a guy who bought two so he could sell the second as a profit!" They are still listed on MF, do you think she will buy it?

Could try but, I will be posting something soon. ;)

Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:52 am

Sam, of course she will buy it. I can't see why anyone in their right mind wouldn't think that this is the stupid deal of the year. I just hope it's legit. I will post something soon too that would further verify my hypothesis.

Tom

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:21 am

These guitars appear to be sold out...anyone else pick one up? I will give a quality review when I get mine. It just seems too good to be true so I am a bit paranoid but they do appear to have a liberal return policy.
Keeping my fingers crossed here in DC.

Tom

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:28 am

Craig wrote:
jdetente wrote:New to the forum but wanted to share this great deal (price deleted) on a SC-2 in Himalaya Blue in case others are in the market. I just pulled the trigger on one myself.

This is interesting in that the SC-2 model was discontinued in January 2018. I see that the photo of the guitar in the Ad was built in May 2018. I emailed a couple of contacts at G&L to try and
get the details on this, since I have not heard about the return of the SC-2; plus it is not listed on the main G&L website, either.

As you probably have noticed I removed the actual price, since we are not allow to post new prices here. Please do review this post: Welcome! Read This First.

Will be looking forward to seeing your Introduction post and photos of your SC-2.

Isn't the G&L shop shut down for the holidays? Might be awhile before we hear back from them, right Craig?

Tom

PS...thanks to jdetente for posting this in the first place. I always wanted a new G&L for a Tribby price. The SC2 really is a good platform and I am looking forward to hearing the differences\similarities to my Broadcasters and other guitars with the wide single MFDs.

Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:47 pm

FZTNT wrote:
Craig wrote:

Isn't the G&L shop shut down for the holidays? Might be awhile before we hear back from them, right Craig?

Tom

PS...thanks to jdetente for posting this in the first place. I always wanted a new G&L for a Tribby price. The SC2 really is a good platform and I am looking forward to hearing the differences\similarities to my Broadcasters and other guitars with the wide single MFDs.

The G&L On-Line Store is closed for the holidays, as posted on the store page:

2018 CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR HOLIDAY
DECEMBER 21 2018
We will be closed for the holiday from Friday, December 21 through Tuesday, January 1. The store will open on Wednesday, January 2. Thanks for your understanding, and Happy Holidays from all of us at G&L!

I don't believe this applies to the rest of the Factory (except for 12/25 and 1/1, of course). They are likely working on December dealer orders and on the Winter NAMM instruments during this time.

These SC-2's were exclusive to MF and very much like the Fullerton Standard models (G&L gig bag instead of cases; limited colors and no options).
MF had marked them down to sell off the remaining ones they have and it appears they have now sold them all. Dave M. had sent me info earlier this year
on the Fullerton Standard and Fullerton Deluxes and the SC-2 was mentioned. I just remember that document and is where I got this information from.

Hope this helps.

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:39 pm

Craig wrote:
These SC-2's were exclusive to MF and very much like the Fullerton Standard models (G&L gig bag instead of cases; limited colors and no options).
MF had marked them down to sell off the remaining ones they have and it appears they have now sold them all. Dave M. had sent me info earlier this year
on the Fullerton Standard and Fullerton Deluxes and the SC-2 was mentioned. I just remember that document and is where I got this information from.

Hope this helps.

Craig, do you have a link to that post from Dave?

Tom

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:55 pm

FZTNT wrote:
Craig wrote:

Hope this helps.

Craig, do you have a link to that post from Dave?

Tom

No, it is a private email from Dave and is confidential.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:50 pm

Well, It's a double HNGD. I received my Stupid Deal Of The Century last night and was not disappointed at all. As most know, I am more into the Leo era guitars but have a few newer ones too. I have always wanted to have a brand new G&L just for fun and particularly the Himalayan Blue color because it matches the Mustang blue color I was looking for when I came across G&L in the first place. So I got two, yes that's two, 2018 SC-2s basically for the price of one. (is that allowed?) It feels kind of like a Mustang but sounds completely different with the Wide MFDs and can really punch out some grungy growl but also sound quite bright and shimmery, almost ear piercing if you really like that sound. But I do love the guitar and it has cured my GAS for now. Truth be told I had promised myself I would lay off the new guitar thing for a while but this deal really couldn't be passed up.

For those of you that have both the SC-2 and an SC-1, does the SC-2 sound pretty much like the SC-1 if you only use the bridge pickup on the SC-2? I'm thinking that would keep me from getting an SC-1 cause I would kind of like to have one of those some day too.

Anyone else succumb to the GAS on this one? I hope so because it was a great deal and didn't last long. It is however the real thing. No foreign build, special badging or anything. Just a regular G&L SC-2 with a May 2018 serial number and a G&L gig bag. Hope some others got in on the deal.

Image Image

Tom

Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:07 am

FZTNT wrote:Well, It's a double HNGD. I received my Stupid Deal Of The Century last night and was not disappointed at all. As most know, I am more into the Leo era guitars but have a few newer ones too. I have always wanted to have a brand new G&L just for fun and particularly the Himalayan Blue color because it matches the Mustang blue color I was looking for when I came across G&L in the first place. So I got two, yes that's two, 2018 SC-2s basically for the price of one. (is that allowed?) It feels kind of like a Mustang but sounds completely different with the Wide MFDs and can really punch out some grungy growl but also sound quite bright and shimmery, almost ear piercing if you really like that sound. But I do love the guitar and it has cured my GAS for now. Truth be told I had promised myself I would lay off the new guitar thing for a while but this deal really couldn't be passed up.

For those of you that have both the SC-2 and an SC-1, does the SC-2 sound pretty much like the SC-1 if you only use the bridge pickup on the SC-2? I'm thinking that would keep me from getting an SC-1 cause I would kind of like to have one of those some day too.

Anyone else succumb to the GAS on this one? I hope so because it was a great deal and didn't last long. It is however the real thing. No foreign build, special badging or anything. Just a regular G&L SC-2 with a May 2018 serial number and a G&L gig bag. Hope some others got in on the deal.

Image Image

Tom

I'd be interested in seeing the Specification Sheets for them, to see how they are listed.
Would you care to share them?

Also, the bridge pickup in these SC-2s should be wound (overwound) like the ASAT Super bridge pickup, so I don't think the SC-1 pickup (which was handwound with less wire) would be the same.

Nice score for sure! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:19 am

I am very happy that you were able to get in on that deal. I got my SC-2 re-issue coming up eight years ago and I always wish it had an SLB ( only for the fact that my S-500 has a tremolo ) Savvy move buying two of them. I suspect the gig bags they came with are not the same as the first run before they switched to hard cases. I usually back off the volume on the bridge to simmer it down a bit, enjoy !

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:15 am

I've had an SC-2 with both a saddle lock and a trem bridge. There were other differences in the guitar (rosewood vs maple fretboard), but I always thought the trem bridged SC had a high end that was very fatiguing. The SC with the SLB that I currently own, doesn't have that issue and sounds awesome.

Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:35 pm

I am late in posting back here as I was out of town until Saturday. Here are a couple of shots. This is a great guitar and is a good companion to my other SC-2 with a trem. I was able to put a few hours on it yesterday. Good times.

http://imgur.com/gallery/K8Hv9H1

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:31 pm

Craig wrote:

I'd be interested in seeing the Specification Sheets for them, to see how they are listed.

Also, the bridge pickup in these SC-2s should be wound (overwound) like the ASAT Super bridge pickup, so I don't think the SC-1 pickup (which was handwound with less wire) would be the same.

Craig, the one I opened did not have a spec sheet with it. I would think it should have but maybe your contacts at G&L can speak to this.

jdetente, Did your SC-2 come with a spec sheet?

Tom

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:52 pm

FZTNT wrote:
Craig wrote:

Craig, the one I opened did not have a spec sheet with it. I would think it should have but maybe your contacts at G&L can speak to this.

jdetente, Did your SC-2 come with a spec sheet?

Tom

Did you get a black G&L envelope with the COA?

As soon as I hear back from G&L I will ask if they should have come with the Specification Sheet.

Those of you who got one of these SC-2s from MK/GC please post a photo of the Specifications Sheet if you received it, otherwise post
that one was not included.

Thanks.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Mine came with a spec sheet. Here's a copy.

https://i.imgur.com/mC05rtA.jpg

Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:25 pm

jdetente wrote:Mine came with a spec sheet. Here's a copy.

Just as I thought, they are a Special Build for Musician's Friend/Guitar Center. I have added the "GC-SC2" model to the G&L Registry model list.
Use that model name when you register it in our G&L Registry.

Thanks for posting the Specifications Sheet.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:27 am

jdetente wrote:Mine came with a spec sheet. Here's a copy.

Where was it? In the bag with the guitar, in one of the pockets, in the G&L box? Was it in a black envelope? Did it have the warranty card too.

I can't find anything but the allen wrenches which were in the front pocket of the gig bag.

Thanks for any additional info you can give me. I might also call MF and see what they say cause it looks like I should have gotten all the paperwork but did not.

Tom

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:24 am

NEVERMIND...!

I swear, the G&L elves or the ghost of Leo Fender himself must have snuck into my house last night and put that black envelope in the front pocket of the gig bag!
I checked that thing three or four times and could not find the thing but just now I checked again "just in case" and BOOM, there it was. It was so well formed to the inside of the pocket it looked like part of the bag itself. So, all is well, hold back the dogs, I got everything I expected. The spec sheet, the COA, the warranty card and the truss rod adjustment instruction sheet.

Question though: is it absolutely necessary to return the warranty card to get warranty service in the future? Some places do require it, others are a bit loose as long as you have proof of purchase and ownership.

Thanks all, stand down.

Tom

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:23 pm

FZTNT wrote:NEVERMIND...!

I swear, the G&L elves or the ghost of Leo Fender himself must have snuck into my house last night and put that black envelope in the front pocket of the gig bag!
I checked that thing three or four times and could not find the thing but just now I checked again "just in case" and BOOM, there it was. It was so well formed to the inside of the pocket it looked like part of the bag itself. So, all is well, hold back the dogs, I got everything I expected. The spec sheet, the COA, the warranty card and the truss rod adjustment instruction sheet.

Question though: is it absolutely necessary to return the warranty card to get warranty service in the future? Some places do require it, others are a bit loose as long as you have proof of purchase and ownership.

Thanks all, stand down.

Tom

G&L does not require you to return the warranty card to get warranty service. You just need proof of purchase.