P-Rail pickup in Fallout

Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:05 am

Hi guys,
I'm planning to swap the bridge pickup of my Tribute Fallout.
I found on this forum (http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?p=37&mobile=off) that the US version of the guitar used to ship with the Seymour Duncan TB-4, but I was tinking about putting a P-rail in. judgimg from the pickups spec sheet the P-rail has 1.5 DCR more than the TB-4.
I'm no expert in this things, do you think this will make a big difference in the sound balance of the guitar? (I refer to pickups volume and parallel position blend)

bye,

Re: P-Rail pickup in Fallout

Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:54 am

Resistance readings in themselves do not tell you anything. They can be relevant comparing pickups of similar construction, magnet type, wire gauge, etc.
I'm not familiar with the pickups in question so I can't really help you other than to advise not to look at resistance values as the defining criteria.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:00 am

I have no experience with the P-Rail but everything said above applies - And I think few people actually use or install the P-Rail to use both coils in series. I believe the idea is to use either/or the blade or the P-90 half, or use both in parallel to get hum cancelling without getting a super hot/compressed tone. Anecdotally not many people use the pickup on 'full' and any individual setting will affect the balance. In all honesty seems there are so many ways you can use the P-Rail you're bound to find at least one setting 'in balance.'

Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:41 am

My TB4 didn't seem to balance good with the P90 for me , I always wanted to roll the treble way back with the TB compared to the P90 , I called SD and he told me to go with a Invader , it's a little hotter but you can't tell by playing them and now I leave my tone set the same between the Invader and the P90 as it balances perfect between pickups , so it was a win for me and might install the TB in my Rampage that has a EMG in it now

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:21 am

Thanks for the feedback guys,
I think the only way to get my answer will be a good test !!!

bye,

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:24 am

ilbelva wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys,
I think the only way to get my answer will be a good test !!!

bye,

Please do post your results and perhaps a video demo, too.