No string tree? Placement advice

Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:26 pm

Hi all,
I picked up a 2013 USA Fallout, and it took me a while to notice but it doesn’t have a string tree. There’s no drill hole either. What do you think, just an oversight at the factory? I’m going to put one on because the first string pops out of the nut sometimes. Any advice about placement? When I look at pictures online it seems like some are placed at the second tuning peg, some closer to the nut, some farther away.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: No string tree? Placement advice

Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Huh - Does the guitar have staggered locking tuners? If so, in concept it does not *need* a string tree, perhaps getting a better cut nut would be an alternative? I'll allow someone else to chime in on the exact position of the tree should you choose to go that route.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:00 pm

Jblue76 wrote:Hi all,
I picked up a 2013 USA Fallout, and it took me a while to notice but it doesn’t have a string tree. There’s no drill hole either. What do you think, just an oversight at the factory? I’m going to put one on because the first string pops out of the nut sometimes. Any advice about placement? When I look at pictures online it seems like some are placed at the second tuning peg, some closer to the nut, some farther away.
Thanks in advance for the help!

It is likely that the original owner ordered it without a string tree. What tuners does it have: locking or non-locking tuners?
See this post: Shaller locking tuners need string tree?

I recommend locating your string tree between the first and second tuner like the current USA Fallouts have them.

Hope this helps.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:28 am

Thanks for the recommendation about string tree placement; that definitely helps. The original owner was a musician that bought this as part of an endorsee purchase and he just ordered it as a stock USA production model, no request that it come without a string tree. The tuners are the regular g&l non locking sort. Another weird thing that made me think g&l made a mistake before shipping it out is that the serial number on the headstock does not match the SN on the COA or specs sheet. Both the original owner and myself have tried to get a hold of g&l to correct the mismatch but so far no luck on that front.... I’m still trying though.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:09 am

That seems quite odd- the part of me that dislikes drilling holes would grab some staggered locking tuners. Hope G&L is able to clear up the serial.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:12 am

I would send it back and have them do it under warranty if possible. I too don't like the idea of getting a drill any where near my guitars.

Tom

Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:03 pm

I don’t know man... I’m in Toronto and shipping would cost a lot. Plus, how hard could it be to install? I’m usually very reluctant to do stuff myself, but really it’s one screw. Anyway, both the seller and I are having little luck even getting a reply so far about the SN and docs, so I’m not to sure how willing G&L would be to do anything under warranty for this one...

Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:30 pm

Maple is very hard. I would take it to a competent luthier to have the work done. If you are set on doing it yourself, make sure you use a punch to make a dimple where you want to drill to minimize chance of the drill slipping. Don't hit it too hard or you can crack the finish. Lock the neck in a vise and drill a pilot hole appropriate for the screw you are using. Too large and it will not bite, too small and it could crack the headstock when you screw it in.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:39 pm

Ok... maybe I should take it in after all... What do you think about the SN mismatch and the docs? Will G&L take care of it?

Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:34 am

In my experience it’s harder than you think to get that screw in the exact middle of the strings. Take it to someone who knows what they’re doing, I’d rather pay $50 than have a spare hole where I messed it up!

Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:57 am

Jblue76 wrote:I don’t know man... I’m in Toronto and shipping would cost a lot. Plus, how hard could it be to install? I’m usually very reluctant to do stuff myself, but really it’s one screw. Anyway, both the seller and I are having little luck even getting a reply so far about the SN and docs, so I’m not to sure how willing G&L would be to do anything under warranty for this one...

This time of year it's not unusual to have trouble getting a response from the factory. Craig can probably provide more details.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:37 am

I hope you’re right about the time of year, though the original owner has been trying to get this addressed for a few months already...

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:26 pm

Jblue76 wrote:I hope you’re right about the time of year, though the original owner has been trying to get this addressed for a few months already...

I will try to help you out with this. I will email you to ask for some information and photos and then forward them to one of my contacts at G&L who might be able to get this taken care of.
In the meantime, please do post some photos (see: Tutorial: posting photos) and add your guitar to our G&L Registry.