the elusive #4 (now known as the classic wide c) neck

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:22 am

happy holidays G&L Friends,

anybody have a lead on dealers that stock G&Ls with the 1 3/4" nut width? I have been poking around online and coming up with nothing. Obviously, I can custom order something but that involves some thought and a lot of decisions- I agonized about the color and some other details when I ordered an ASAT years ago. I just want to try the big neck and see how it compares to my big ol' Warmoth neck. (Plus my only current G&L is my beloved LB-100) I have tried keyword searches and have reviewed the specs of dozens of G&Ls on reverb, ebay, some dealer sites, etc and haven't seen one other than a lefty posted on the Facebook page. Thanks!

Re: the elusive #4 (now known as the classic wide c) neck

Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:35 pm

Rampage and Super Hawk are your two best bets for finding a number 4 neck as they are the only G&L's that come with a number 4 standard , otherwise it has to be special order and not available for all models

Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:Rampage and Super Hawk are your two best bets for finding a number 4 neck as they are the only G&L's that come with a number 4 standard , otherwise it has to be special order and not available for all models

However, the Jerry Cantrell Signature models (Rampage and Superhawk) have a custom #4 Neck Profile,
listed on the Custom Build Specification Certificate as: #4a G&L Extra Wide Super Slim C - 1 3/4" Nut Width,
14" Radius .770" depth at first fret, .850" at 12th fret (+/- .015" tolerance upon completion).

The standard Classic Wide C neck spec is: 1 3/4ā€ nut width, slight edge roll, medium taper from 0.830ā€ to 0.960ā€. It starts off fairly slim and gets beefier up the neck.
The radius options are: 7.5", 9.5", or 12".

Hope this helps.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:54 am

Craig wrote:
Fumble fingers wrote:Rampage and Super Hawk are your two best bets for finding a number 4 neck as they are the only G&L's that come with a number 4 standard , otherwise it has to be special order and not available for all models

However, the Jerry Cantrell Signature models (Rampage and Superhawk) have a custom #4 Neck Profile,
listed on the Custom Build Specification Certificate as: #4a G&L Extra Wide Super Slim C - 1 3/4" Nut Width,
14" Radius .770" depth at first fret, .850" at 12th fret (+/- .015" tolerance upon completion).

Hope this helps.

My new (to me )Climax is my new favorite wide neck , it's thin like this short of measuring and much thinner than my 1986 Rampage

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:04 am

One of the more difficult aspects of deciding options on my special order a few years ago was the neck profile. I was really interested in the "U" shaped neck but of course there was no way of actually handling one. I eventually played it safe and went with the #1.
It would be nice if at least the new "custom shop" dealers would have samples of all the different neck profiles to be able to handle.

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:02 pm

I know that this one is not near you, but here's one that just showed up on G&L Facebook page:

Here's an ASAT HH RMC in Royal Purple Metallic, front and rear contours, Classic Wide C profile maple neck with Clear Satin finish, model logo delete, locking tuners.
CLF1811266 is headed to G&L Premier Dealer REvolve Guitar & Music Shop in Bartlett, Tennessee.

I suggest you contact G&L Premier or Custom Shop dealers near you and ask if they have any guitars with the neck profile you are looking for to try.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:28 am

My G&L USA Jerry Cantrell Signature Rampage has a #4a G&L Extra Wide Super Slim C Neck, 1 3/4" Nut, 14" Radius .770" at 1st fret .850" at 12th fret \m/

Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:10 am

I am seriously considering a Classic Wide C (#4) on my next G&L. I have a concern that with the 1 3/4" nut, the neck will feel too thin with the standard 0.83" profile at the 1st Fret. I envision with the wider nut it will make the neck thinner, or at least feel thinner. I am I off with my reasoning?

Thank you.

Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:03 am

lefty_major wrote:I am seriously considering a Classic Wide C (#4) on my next G&L. I have a concern that with the 1 3/4" nut, the neck will feel too thin with the standard 0.83" profile at the 1st Fret. I envision with the wider nut it will make the neck thinner, or at least feel thinner. I am I off with my reasoning?

Thank you.

That's hard to say. For me, the neck width won out as being the more important and I'm happy with my #4 neck (with an ebony board). A deep U with a 1 3/4" nut would be heaven for us fat neck lovers, however!

Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:41 am

LiquidSmoke -
Thank you for the post.

I'm not sure if you have other G&L guitars, but does your #4 feel thinner or flatter than others?

I like thicker necks too, which is why I am inquiring about this. I stay away from anything thinner than .082" at the 1st fret, but I have a feeling a #4 will feel thinner, than say the G&L #3 neck.

Thanks again!