Help me identify a G&L Legacy / or tribute with makeup

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Hi there,

I recently got to try a G&L guitar and was impressed with it, so I decided to get one.

I have an offer for a used G&L Legacy made in USA that seems in great condition (and I absolutely love the look of it). However the seller has no info about where it comes from and no certificate either.
As I already made the mistake to drive for a whole day to go buy a guitar which ended up being a fake, I would like to be sure that this G&L is a USA Legacy indeed, and not a "modified" Tribute.

Right now, I know very little about G&L guitars, and I guess some people on this forum know lots about them... So could you have a look a the pictures the seller sent me and tell me if things look normal for a Legacy US? Or is there anything suspicious in any way?
From the serial number, it appears to be post 1997, which is why I posted this thread in this section.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Help me identify a G&L Legacy / or tribute with makeup

Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:10 pm

It is definitely a USA Legacy based upon the serial number and body color.
Based upon the serial number, I estimate that the build year is 2009,
The body color is Fullerton Red on stock Alder body or optional Swamp Ash body.
The stock neck would be a #1 (1 5/8" nut width with a 12" radius fretboard). It also has the
optional Gun-oil Gloss neck finish. It should have come with a G&L molded hardcase or an
optional Deluxe Tolex case. The pickups are G&L CLF-100 Alnico single coils.

For info on the various neck options see: What are the USA neck size options, past and present?
We have a copy of the 2009 G&L Catalog in our Gallery, see: 2009 G&L Catalog.
For info on G&L serial number, see: Serial number significance.
For info on G&L guitar pickups, see: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

Hope this helps.

Re: Help me identify a G&L Legacy / or tribute with makeup

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:15 am

Thanks a lot Craig!

It seems your knowledge of G&L guitar is beyond reach for mere mortals like me :happy0007:
I'm glad I can be quite sure of the guitar I am buying... Now I just have to wait for a month before I can actually get my hands on it :problem: , it's not gonna be easy!