ASAT Classic question & Hello!

Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:11 am

Hello All. New to the forum, new to G & L. Well not really, I've played guitar well over 35+ years and know G & L is a great instrument. I've always been a Gibson guy thru the years, but can't pass up opportunities to purchase classics! I have an ASAT classic with Serial G029853. I wanna say it's Sunburst, altho I get confused on the type. It's not cherry, and not tobacco. Has Top Binding, has the Leo Fender signature on the body. The serial indicates it was made in 1991. Is this correct? It really is a beauty of a guitar, and it feels and plays great. I haven't had a chance to give it a real run through in a live stage setting...but I can't wait. Getting this guitar fills a void in my collection of axes. I've enjoyed going all over this site to learn what I can about the history and see pix. I don't have any pics as of yet.
I saw that the serial number for the '92 run started at G029962. This would mean mine was a late '91?

Re: ASAT Classic question & Hello!

Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:33 am

I checked thru the registry and also was going to add mine to it. I found a couple others with serial numbers close to mine (G0295XX, G0296XX) and they were dated Oct and Nov of 81. ASAT Classic Signature. Maple neck and what I suppose is called Three Tone Sunburst. Everything sounded the same as what I have. I just wonder with my serial of G029853 how late these were made in '91 or if its a '92?? I see there is a neck stamp and a body stamp. Where am i looking for these at?

Re: ASAT Classic question & Hello!

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:50 am

MaxWax wrote:I checked thru the registry and also was going to add mine to it. I found a couple others with serial numbers close to mine (G0295XX, G0296XX) and they were dated Oct and Nov of 81. ASAT Classic Signature. Maple neck and what I suppose is called Three Tone Sunburst. Everything sounded the same as what I have. I just wonder with my serial of G029853 how late these were made in '91 or if its a '92?? I see there is a neck stamp and a body stamp. Where am i looking for these at?

Welcome :wave:

Check out our G&L Knowledgebase (previously known as the FAQ)
about serial numbering and build dates.

The ASAT Classic Signature model was built from 1990 - 1992. You would need to remove the neck to get the build dates.
If you are not comfortable with removing the neck, then don't do it. The build date info in the G&L Registry is not required.

Oh, and some here say that if you don't post a picture of an instrument you mention, it does not exist :lol:
We have a section on Posting Photos in the guitarsbyleo.com History and G&LDP Guidelines.

Hope this helps.