Strings for Will Ray w B/Bender

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:28 am

My Strings for my early 2000's Will Ray signature need to be replaced, just shows how much time this was played as they are original strings. Question I have is, are #10's SIT lights good on this guitar and are there other considerations with the B Bender and Will Ray bridge that one needs to know? I typically use DAddorios on some of the other guitars, but I had a couple of packs of the SIT's I might want to try. The Will Ray has the locking tuners, do the strings need to be installed any different at the Peg? Easier to ask now than to say OHH____ later.
Prop

Re: Strings for Will Ray w B/Bender

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:55 pm

Propjob wrote:My Strings for my early 2000's Will Ray signature need to be replaced, just shows how much time this was played as they are original strings. Question I have is, are #10's SIT lights good on this guitar and are there other considerations with the B Bender and Will Ray bridge that one needs to know? I typically use DAddorios on some of the other guitars, but I had a couple of packs of the SIT's I might want to try. The Will Ray has the locking tuners, do the strings need to be installed any different at the Peg? Easier to ask now than to say OHH____ later.
Prop

Hi Prop,

With locking tuners, you'd pull the strings through the hole and tension it as much as you possibly can before turning the screw to clamp the string. With these kind of tuners, one wants to minimize the number of windings around the post.

Otherwise, the same concerns as with any string change are involved with one additional thing (see below). Even if you stay with the same gauge, it's always worthwhile to check neck relief and intonation both of which certainly need to be adjusted when you change gauge. If you go to heavier strings, likely the nut slots need to be recut too. The additional thing is the set screw of the HipShot unit which you'd have to adjust to make sure the unit bends a full note up.

Good luck!

- Jos

Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:43 am

Thanks Jos Glad I asked. It looks like there is hardly a turn on the peg just a hook. And then tuner was tensioned? Now, what was the default strings on this? I know if heavier strings were placed than the nut would have to be modified. I,d like to try to keep it original. The guitar has less than an hour playing time. Just trying to get some of my guitars prepped to sell as I get older.They don,t do me any good in cases and with grand children active ,I don t like to have them on stands in my living room.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:29 am

Propjob wrote:Thanks Jos Glad I asked. It looks like there is hardly a turn on the peg just a hook. And then tuner was tensioned? Now, what was the default strings on this? I know if heavier strings were placed than the nut would have to be modified. I,d like to try to keep it original. The guitar has less than an hour playing time. Just trying to get some of my guitars prepped to sell as I get older.They don,t do me any good in cases and with grand children active ,I don t like to have them on stands in my living room.

Your Will Ray Signature would have come with a set of .010 - .046. See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: What gauge & brand of strings does G&L use on their guitars?.

Hope this helps.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:10 am

Thanks Craig. I was looking for that document and missed it. So 10's it will be Thanks again. JIM