"CL" Legacy questions

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:53 pm

I stumbled upon a used Legacy today in a great regional guitar shop and, boy, am I glad I did. :thumbup: Wow! It may be the best compromise Strat-style I've played. The maple (w/rosewood fingerboard) neck is a tad bit chunkier than the slender reed on my Squier Standard, so rhythm playing is easier and more precise. But the neck isn't too fat for my small hands, unlike some of the "vintage" style Fender necks. The 12" radius on the Legacy makes lead playing a hoot. The construction quality is top-notch, far better than MIM Fender Strats and easily equaling the top Fenders. Even without being plugged it, the Legacy has terrific sustain. Its intonation is also very good.

But I'm confused about when it was built and from what. The serial number on the neck starts with "CL." If I understand the G&L site, this means the guitar is probably a '97 or '98. Right? But it has this wonderful greenburst finish, more like the Commanches'. Does that mean it's an alder or ash body?

Anyway, the price is right and I'm really tempted. I haven't had an American-built electric guitar in...hmmm, let's see.... ;)

Re: "CL" Legacy questions

Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:58 pm

alaskafingers wrote:I stumbled upon a used Legacy today in a great regional guitar shop and, boy, am I glad I did. :thumbup: Wow! It may be the best compromise Strat-style I've played. The maple (w/rosewood fingerboard) neck is a tad bit chunkier than the slender reed on my Squier Standard, so rhythm playing is easier and more precise. But the neck isn't too fat for my small hands, unlike some of the "vintage" style Fender necks. The 12" radius on the Legacy makes lead playing a hoot. The construction quality is top-notch, far better than MIM Fender Strats and easily equaling the top Fenders. Even without being plugged it, the Legacy has terrific sustain. Its intonation is also very good.

But I'm confused about when it was built and from what. The serial number on the neck starts with "CL." If I understand the G&L site, this means the guitar is probably a '97 or '98. Right? But it has this wonderful greenburst finish, more like the Commanches'. Does that mean it's an alder or ash body?

Anyway, the price is right and I'm really tempted. I haven't had an American-built electric guitar in...hmmm, let's see.... ;)

You are correct about the build dates for CL serial numbers.

Most models of G&L's can be ordered with a variety of finishes, figured maple tops, and bindings. You can also order an
Alder body with the Premier finishes or Swamp Ash with Standard and Solid finishes. So, if that Legacy was just ordered
with a Greenburst finish, the standard body would be Swamp Ash. If it was ordered with a Flamed or Quilted Maple top option,
the body would still be Swamp Ash.

It sounds like it you found yourself a winner. So I say, go for it. You won't regret it. :alright:

Hope this helps.