ASAT Special Semi Hollow Question

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi;

I have a couple of ASAT Specials, one that I may sell. Both guitars were sold to me by the dealer and I have his store tag !that these were semi hollows They have no F hole and I donot show anything on the G&L website or any searches that confirm this. I do have a Wil Ray Semi without an F hole that was indeed confirmed by Dave?? McClaren. As I would like to check my facts other than the sales slip, what other way would prove this? Both guitars bought earlier in the Decade, the one I may entertain selling is a 2002 Thanks Propjob

Re: ASAT Special Semi Hollow Question

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:47 pm

Propjob wrote:Hi;

I have a couple of ASAT Specials, one that I may sell. Both guitars were sold to me by the dealer and I have his store tag !that these were semi hollows They have no F hole and I donot show anything on the G&L website or any searches that confirm this. I do have a Wil Ray Semi without an F hole that was indeed confirmed by Dave?? McClaren. As I would like to check my facts other than the sales slip, what other way would prove this? Both guitars bought earlier in the Decade, the one I may entertain selling is a 2002 Thanks Propjob

You can email G&L with the serial number and they can give you the build specifications on the guitars. They definitely make semi-hollows that do not have F holes (F-hole delete models).

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:59 pm

Propjob wrote:Hi;

See this post in our G&L Specifications and Options sub-forum of the G&L Knowledgebase forum: January 25, 2018-present G&L U.S. Specifications & Options.

Semi-hollow models are listed with this:
Choose with or without F-hole.

You might contact G&L's Customer Support contact and ask them to look up the serial numbers of your guitars to get the model name for each.
call (714)897-6766 extension 156 or send an email to repairs@glguitars.com.

Hope this helps.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:07 pm

Knock or tap on the body of the guitar with your knuckles. You should hear a difference and be able to distinguish between a solid body and a hollow body by doing this.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:48 pm

Thanks all;
All good thoughts. I wasn't sure if there was a distinguishing feature that was on the SH as oppose to the hollow body. They are both fairly light guitars. I think I will send the email over to G&L and have documentation. I have them listed in the Registry as Semi Hollows. Thanks Keep up the great work Craig

Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:07 pm

You can also just take the control plate off and see that its hollow.

Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:55 am

You should be able to tell by weight if it's hollow or not.

edg

Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks for the new suggestions. I had sent an email to G&L repair but am still awaiting what the records do show.

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:13 am

Well I just got an Email from Memo and both my ASAT specials are confirmed as semi hollow.
Thanks !!