LPB N(T)GD and DFV question

Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Greetings. I just got a deal on used (!) Lake Placid Blue Tribute Doheny. I know I'm supposed to post a pic but trust me, it looks like every other LPD Doheny. Though these haven't been out in the wild that long. I feel fortunate to have stumbled across one, in Canada no less, so no customs or taxes.

BUT, it's my first go-around with the DFV vibrato system. Any suggestions for setting it up right? He removed the whammy bar before shipping, so I just put it back in, but I'm not sure how much to tighten the screw or anything. I'm a bassist who dabbles in guitar, so there you go.

Also, there's still plastic under some of the knobs. Do I just pull them off to get the plastic out, or is there a hidden screw or something?

Thanks.

Re: LPB N(T)GD and DFV question

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:42 pm

Congratulations :) Is there an issue with the DFV right now? If not, I'd leave it alone. You can tighten the arm tension screw to whatever your preference is between the bar staying in place or drooping after use.

You might be able to pull the plastic film off, otherwise probably best to remove the knobs and loosen the pots if you care enough about it; not sure whether Doheny knobs just pull off, or have a screw/solid shaft.
Last edited by Danley on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:31 am

Thanks Danley. I'm finding the set screw is either too tight or too loose, nothing in between. If I have it tight so the whammy bar is in place, I can't move it much before it goes loose. There's also a little give on the shaft.

Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:05 am

Perhaps the nylon bushing that sits between the arm and the screw is missing?

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:19 am

I believe there is a document on this webpage on how to set up the DFV vibrato system. The basic rule is that with strings under tension (tuned up) the DFV plate should be parallel to the body top. I have the DFV on my SC-3 set up that way and it works and stills in tune great.

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:41 am

Kit wrote:I believe there is a document on this webpage on how to set up the DFV vibrato system. The basic rule is that with strings under tension (tuned up) the DFV plate should be parallel to the body top. I have the DFV on my SC-3 set up that way and it works and stills in tune great.

Here is the post in the G&L Knowledgebase forum: How-To Guide.

Hope this helps.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. So the riddle is I can't find a picture of a nylon bushing, and I don't see any nylon on the end of the set screw when I take it out, or on the whammy bar itself. I tightened it right up, and with some use, the whammy bar is hanging loose again rather than staying in position.

Do I just order these, or is there another solution? https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/ ... -screw-set

Otherwise, the DFV looks to be set up right.

Having had the guitar for a few days now, I want to add a mini-review as well. I really like it! No, it's not exactly like a Jazzmaster, but with the PTB and the pickups you can get a lot of great sounds. The guitar is a little more than a pound heavier than my Tribute Fallout but balances well. I've been running it through Line6 Helix Native and a bunch of spectral and granular plugins for cool soundscape-y stuff, at which it excels, especially with the vibrato. I also was inspired to play a few surf riffs through a Fender model with a lot of reverb--perfectly satisfying.

I can't say much about the strings staying in tune with the DFV because I'm still breaking them in. I think the original owner played this for an hour or two max. I had to remove all the plastic from the pick guard, etc. The fret work is shockingly good for an import instrument. They're filed nicely, and the ends are well-angled. Probably I'll get some fret sprout in its first winter here, but that's true for all my instruments except for ones with a composite fingerboard. I might have a nicer nut installed at that time as well, we'll see. One of the pots was installed a little loose, but I had to loosen it more to get the plastic off and it tightened right up. Everything now feels solid and good to go.

Also, I wasn't sure what to expect, but the "Brazilian Cherry" fingerboard wood is actually quite nice. Harder than Rosewood, but has a nice dark grain with interesting streaking and feels pleasantly slick when I bend notes. Sonically, I'm one of those people who thinks the frets will make more of a difference than the fingerboard wood, and with no other Doheny to compare it with, I couldn't say anything anyway. I really like that it's not an endangered wood and it looks and feels good.

The LPB could be a shade darker, but my wife/drummer thinks it looks awesome and especially enjoys the pearloid blocks.

I can't believe how good this thing is for how cheap it is.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:47 pm

Here is a photo showing both the set screw and nylon bushing:

See this post for more info: Loose Vibrato bar screw on 2016 Legacy Tribute.

You might be able to find nylon rods at a local hardware store and then cut them off of the rod to the length you want.

Please do add your Tribute Doheny to our G&L Registry.

Hope this helps.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:46 pm

Perfect, thank you.