Legacy Special

Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:01 am

Have the locking tuners on the Legacy Special been discontinued?

Also, interested in impressions of this guitar and it's dual-blade and power blade pickups. Anyone played one or owned one? Thanks.

Re: Legacy Special

Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:18 pm

pjr114 wrote:Have the locking tuners on the Legacy Special been discontinued?

Also, interested in impressions of this guitar and it's dual-blade and power blade pickups. Anyone played one or owned one? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that G&L moved the locking tuners to "optional" on the Legacy Special and S-500 4-5 years ago.

I haven't played a Legacy Special in probably over 20 years (probably 1996-ish) I remember them being a great Strat-type for rock/hard rock and could cover a lot of ground by adjusting the tone through the PTB wiring.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:53 am

I've got two Legacy Specials. Hardtail and vibrato. I love them. You can dial back the bass to get close to a traditional Legacy sound. With the hotter bridge pickup, it sounds kind of like an SSH guitar only quiet in all positions. The LS is a very versatile guitar.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:37 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. The pickups are what fascinate me about this particular guitar. Always wanted to try something with blade style pickups. Thanks again.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:32 pm

I have my eye on one locally, so I'd also be interested in hearing more about how they sound, compared to other G&Ls. I've found a few videos online, but not comparisons with other G&Ls. And this one doesn't have locking tuners.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:04 am

I purchased a Legacy Special a few months back. It’s becoming a favorite of mine to play with a lot of variation in sound. One of the reasons I wanted it was to get an LP / Humbucker sound and it seems to be doing the trick. It’s a great design and it is silent, if that’s important to you. I really like rolling off the treble by 70% and playing the neck or neck/middle. It’s a powerful sound straight into the amp. And middle by itself sounds great too. I actually find the middle position very different and (very bell like) from other guitars I have. I play through a Vox.