CLF - Your Wish List?

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:18 pm

I could be simple and say "re-release them all" but... What particular things are you hoping to see out of CLF?

My top five:

• String-through Saddle Lock on a reissued F100
  • Reissued Active F100 & Cavalier models
  • A more attractive truss rod nut than the modern guitars ;)
  • Sickle head Comanche VI with 'pointy' body
  • G200

Re: CLF - Your Wish List?

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:57 pm

I would love nothing more than those cavalier pups. I've been hungrily waiting for years. My dream guitar is an ASAT special RMC but with a cavalier pickup configuration.

Tell me that isn't the KEWWWLEST!

Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Neutralomen you had to post that one again! :elguitar054:

That would be on my list for sure. Hey, there is a "Custom Shop" now isn't there? :evilgrin:

Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:53 pm

sam wrote:Neutralomen you had to post that one again! :elguitar054:

That would be on my list for sure. Hey, there is a "Custom Shop" now isn't there? :evilgrin:

This is technically an updated image getting all the measurements and proportions more accurate =)

Believe me I've inquired.

They told me that, unless they actually begin producing those pups again, I would have to pay for the R&D and the mold for the covers, etc, so I'd be paying like 12,000 for a single guitar that's worth 2-3,000. They said if they ever re-release the Cav, it would decrease cost significantly, but I'm still going to get fleeced because they're going to charge me for the special C&C routing, and if they don't make white covers, i'm going to have to try and convince them to have some made just for me which means I'd probably have to buy them in bulk or some weird thing like that. Throw in that custom Maui blue esque color and the price tag is creeping up and up.

My prediciton, it's going to run me at least $4,000(if they reissue the Cav), but this dream guitar is so essential to me. Basically, it's part of a visual gimmick for a band, and this guitar is just a perfect fit for the vision, but it has to be THIS guitar. It's hard to relate. I know I must sound like a crazy person.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:21 am

An ASAT Z2 with the bridge wound like a Will-Ray pup, but elongated so that it can be placed in the standard "angled" position, while maintaining poles under the strings.

Oh..yeah...

:evilgrin3:

Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:58 am

Hey Dan,

You could come close with what I did. Took a Tribute ASAT and had body routed a bit and put in a Z coil neck and Will Ray Z bridge pickup, add a tribby Legacy neck (better feel), a Hip Shot B Bender and VOILA, a ASAT Z2 Will Ray! Would like to eventually get a Z2 pick guard but just covered the middle hole with a sticker. Or you could take a Will Ray Signature and remove middle pickup and change switch. I like your angled bridge pickup idea, have always wondered about that.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:20 am

Sam,

Your tribby looks pretty sweet, but I'd want my Z2 to have the no pickguard option.

I've kept my eyes open for an ASAT Z3 tribby in the wild, but they are few and far between (and I am so pickly!)

I've also wondered about pairing stainless steel frets with Z coils. Wonder how they'd sound? Never played on 'em, but I hear they sound trebly. I wonder if that means they don't register low frequencies well, or maybe just pick up higher frequencies better? Doubt I'll ever get 'em, but in a post where I can throw darts at what I'd like to see - I s'pose it's okay to dream.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:08 am

I'd really like to see them bring back the old school SC-1, SC-2, SC-3, HG-1, and HG-2 in the first body style version. Also really like to see the Cavalier return.

For some custom twists on these models I'd love to see an HG-2 variant with the Cavalier bridge PU and the HG-2 neck pickup (more resemble the SC-2 but with HBs).

For a twist on the SC-3 I'd like to have all the pickups slanted and have the middle pickup placed next to the bridge pickup and use it like a HB. Have a main three way pickup selector switch: bridge, bridge+neck, neck. Another three way switch for the bridge to run the two coils as: parallel, series, single coil mode (pickup closed to bridge only) - just like the switching on the Kiloton base MFD HB. Master tone and master volume keeping it simple. Saddle lock bridge for me but a DFV option available. Heck I've considered signing for a guitar building workshop just to make this guitar!

As twist on the SC-2 what about a couple of slanted SC-3 MFDs? A Mustang / Lead II inspired guitar...

Cheers,
Dan

Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:48 am

ASAT Special with a wide and fat baritone neck (26.5" or 27"). Replacement necks offered in the online shop would suffice.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:28 am

That SC-2 in Pharaoh Gold Firemist does it for me. They need to re issue the original model including the black hardware. I also saw an instagram post from Robert Poss showing one of his SC-1's in red sparkle with his custom pickguard , that is a gorgeous guitar. Maybe even offer them with rosewood boards.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:49 pm

I'd love to see the Cavalier and original SC series, as well. Also, the Commanche V and/or VI would be nice. And I'll also put my vote in for a reissue of the El Toro bass! (with active electronics, please!!)

Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:45 pm

Mine is pretty simple and should be doable. Color and other specs TBD

Take a Comanche Studio VI and put the switches on an ASAT Z3 or ASAT WR

Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:17 am

This is more like it. Maybe a little cleaner with ASAT body routed like the Comanche to take the same pick guard set up.

Our own Mac did this "ASAT Studio VI" for Will Ray a number of years ago. :thumbup:

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:44 am

I wouldn't mind seeing both the Hell Casters guitars back out , John and Will's

Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:38 am

The hellcaster guitars would be nice. I would like to add that it would be very very cool, since they are now using CNC machining, if some one had the job of creating maps for older instruments. That way the option of recreating an older design would be far more pratical, it could be batched in with current production. Some one want a reissue of a 1500 bass? Put the appropriate wood in the CNC load the right map and the hard part is done. Cut a pick guard and the hard part is done. Myself personally, I would like to see the semi hollow option return, for 'S' guitars, S500, Legacy and comanche.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:46 am

Ok so I stepped away from the computer for a few and had a chance to think about this. The more I think about it the more I realize that this is a business venture that is either going to be an astounding success of a disappointment, it all come down to keeping the marketing guys out of the business model. Among the issues that must be addressed is that there will always be a G&L vs. FENDER custom shop mindset among many consumers. This is going to be problematic. Mainly because many consumers of G&L products, in the back of their minds are extraordinarily proud of their gear because they know a couple of things 1) it is an american made guitar at a reasonable price. (unlike gibson) 2) It is also a standard model that is just as good if not better than a fender custom shop, again at a reasonable price point. While price point is going to be an issue, G&L actually has room to raise the target price and not scare folks away. However considering the already high build quality, it is going to be very hard to sell the idea that the Custom Shop stuff is that much better. (At least not with out lowering standards for the standard issue stuff, if that happens just go ahead and close the doors. ) Now with all this being said I think it is a great idea, just focus on selection and customer service.

I would like to see a business model that leverages both modern IT for enhanced communication and inventory control as well as exploiting the flexibility of CNC machining to offer en extended selection of truly interchangable options. I would even go so far as to offer a "Vintage" line up of options in which not only the older bodies but older neck profiles could be available. Also offer gold plated hardware again. As an example the F100 when reissued was available without a neck option. While I am ok with both necks that were offered during it's run, just seeing that there was no option cast doubt in the buyers mind. (What if I don't like it?) The custom shop should eschew such rigidity.

Another thing that G&L could build on is their wood selection process. They have a very solid reputation for choosing good wood! By using modern tracking techniques it is now possible for buyers to go out and find top notch wood, but not enough for a full production run. This is a problem that is going to get worse as growing seasons change and old growth woods are being used up. By using modern electronic management they could buy smaller lots and offer limited wood choices on an order by order basis. That would be a very cool option for consumers.

In the end it is very exciting to see G&L step in to the future, there is a possibility for them to become the new paradigm as to how this business is run. They are already seen as the worlds largest custom shop by many, why not build on that? Build the custom shop that everyone wishes the fender custom shop was. And DO NOT let the marketing guys screw it up! There was only one Dale Hyatt.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:56 am

Always wondered why they never made a lefty Comanche.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:02 pm

Nubs,
There is one lefty comanche that I am aware of.

y2kc

Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:56 pm

y2kc wrote:Nubs,
There is one lefty comanche that I am aware of.

y2kc

But still with right-handed Z-coils, I reckon. Or am I wrong here?

The issue has always been that for a lefty Comanche and/or Z-3, you'd have to make left-handed pickups to preserve the same symmetry. In this case, having the pole pieces the same distance away from the saddle as you'd find on a righty version.

- Jos

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:52 am

The "Z" coils on this are more like "S" coils since they go the other way. Strange guitar, purchased it many moons ago.

y2kc

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:31 am

The CLF Instagram page posted about the Cavalier yesterday. Got me all hot and bothered. I hope they create some new/improved pickups for some of the releases. The Doheny is one of my favorite guitars because the pickups are awesome. I think the extended range of the MFDs extends too far into high frequencies. Would be cool if they took it upon themselves to improve the pickup designs ala the Doheny.