ASAT Classic/strings

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:42 pm

Hello, I just bought a new G&L ASAT classic Fullerton Standard. This is my first G&L after being a 'fan' for years. I was very pleased with the way it was set-up from the factory. Didn't have to do much other than a little 'nudge' at the bridge to better center the strings. It plays great, nice neck/ sound ,and basically I'm very happy. I have no idea what strings it came with , but I think a change might improve things a bit. I'm thinking about a set of Fender 150's 10g for the first string change. Any other ideas of what 'type' of strings may get the best tone from this very nice guitar ? ( I'd add a photo if I knew how..) Thanks, Rich :D

Re: ASAT Classic/strings

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:47 pm

G&L ships their guitars with D'Addario 10s

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:15 pm

guitarrich wrote:Hello, I just bought a new G&L ASAT classic Fullerton Standard. This is my first G&L after being a 'fan' for years. I was very pleased with the way it was set-up from the factory. Didn't have to do much other than a little 'nudge' at the bridge to better center the strings. It plays great, nice neck/ sound ,and basically I'm very happy. I have no idea what strings it came with , but I think a change might improve things a bit. I'm thinking about a set of Fender 150's 10g for the first string change. Any other ideas of what 'type' of strings may get the best tone from this very nice guitar ? ( I'd add a photo if I knew how..) Thanks, Rich :D

As Tooslowhand said, the stock strings are D'Addario EXL110 10-46. You should have received a Build Specifications sheet with the COA in a Black G&L envelope in the gig bag.
For posting photos, see the Tutorial on Photos link in this post: Welcome! Read This First.

When you get a chance please add your guitar to our G&L Registry.

Hope this helps.

Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:13 am

Until recently I always used D'Addario XLs but I would agree you can probably find a better sounding option. I now prefer pure nickel on alnico equipped guitars. I haven't tried Fender yet but DR Pure Blues are a good set ; the round core gives them a good feel. Some pure nickel sets seem too bright when used with MFDs to my ears. I liked GHS burnished nickel on my Skyhawk though and plan on trying them on my Asat. I've tried some import sets that are good too.

Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:09 pm

I used D'Addario XL 110s for 15 years or more, but 2 years ago switched to Pyramid Round Core Nickels on my Comanche and ASAT Jr. (and my Ibanez and Gibson). They sound fantastic and last a long time, so the higher price evens out for me. No going back.

A friend had me recently try Ernie Ball M-Steel strings, because he thought they made an S-style guitar sound great. I put them on my Skyhawk but lost two to the Sperzel locking tuners (the strings unraveled; maybe I tightened the screw too much...). They do sound quite good though. (He gave me one replacement, so 5/6 sound good.) Too soon to attest to their longevity.

Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:22 pm

Tooslowhand wrote:G&L ships their guitars with D'Addario 10s

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what about their basses? Anyone know what string gauge comes on them?

Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:35 pm

dhgleaves wrote:
Tooslowhand wrote:G&L ships their guitars with D'Addario 10s

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what about their basses? Anyone know what string gauge comes on them?

See this post in the G&L Knowledgebase: What gauge & brand of strings does G&L use on their guitars?

Hope this helps.

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:49 am

Been using .011 sets since I got off the road years back (where I was using .012 and .013 custom sets I had Black Diamond do for me), and recently put a set of the D'Addario NYXL balanced tension stings on my Legacy, and they sound really good. Haven't had them on long enough to speak to life expectancy yet, but they're designed for long life, according to the folks at D’Addario. Haven't tried the EB M-Steel yet, but I'll ask the folks I know there for a couple of sets to check out.

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:26 am

I like hybrid 9-46 sets. Ernie Ball are my favorites. I've tried a bunch of makes and materials on with my SC-2. Tried pure nickel to mellow it out but found the decrease in output was too much. I like a guitar with low and easy to play action, but not anemic, so I went with the 9-46s.