JB's and only JB's

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:00 am

Mine is 100% funk machine. Ebony fingerboard, satin grey mist finish, black pickguard, the monstrous Saddle Lock bridge that allows the deepest funk I've ever had in any bass sans my beloved 1957 Precision with the Brazilian rosewood fingerboard and a total weight of less than 8 lbs. The JB is as close to a vintage Fender than anything I've had the pleasure to experience. My sound, approach is vintage along the lines of Carol Kaye, Chuck Rainey. That real gutteril heavy flats thunk, pop, round, phat and full bodied. Anyone a JB fan, lemmee know. :happy0065: :happy0065:

Re: JB's and only JB's

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:56 am

Oh yes, I bought my JB in 2010, and it's my favorite stage bass. The neck is fantastic, and the lightweight tuners make it feel more maneuverable on stage than my 2003 Fender Jazz. Mine came with a quertersawn neck, which adds rigidity, and possibly a little focus to the tone. With the stock pickups, it completely nails a classic J-bass tone, and it records beautifully. I, however, hate single coil hum, so mine now has Lace Man O' War pickups, which provide a slightly fatter tone with less treble. (Eventually, I might get a set of Lindy Fralin's Split-Jazz for my JB. I have a set in my Fender, and they're amazing. But for now, I like having the different flavors of J-bass tone available.)

These are seriously great basses, and I have GAS for a JB-5.