Doheny volume pot specs please, need to replace

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:50 pm

Like a dummy I was messing around with replacing the knobs, had some tight knobs, and I pushed too hard on the Volume knob and pushed the shaft to hard and broke it, now it just plunges in there all loose...I know chump understudy maneuver. I am so pissed!

Anyway, I need to replace it.

What do I need to get? Does the Doheny have a linear or audio taper volume pot? Also is it a 500k pot, or 1meg? Other?

By the way the Doheny sounds amazing!

Re: Doheny volume pot specs please, need to replace

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:46 am

The Doheny has a PTB tone stack. The volume pot should be a 250KΩ Audio Taper with a 200pF treble bleed cap between signal and wiper. See e.g. this diagram in the Gallery.

- Jos

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:02 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:The Doheny has a PTB tone stack. The volume pot should be a 250KΩ Audio Taper with a 200pF treble bleed cap between signal and wiper. See e.g. this diagram in the Gallery.

- Jos

wow, a 250! I never would have guessed since the guitar is so open, clear and bright, but I guess the tone knobs at 500K and 1Meg and those caps have a lot to do with it!...and they are single coil pickups after all

Thanks a lot!

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:59 pm

CarpathianWhips wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:The Doheny has a PTB tone stack. The volume pot should be a 250KΩ Audio Taper with a 200pF treble bleed cap between signal and wiper. See e.g. this diagram in the Gallery.

- Jos

wow, a 250! I never would have guessed since the guitar is so open, clear and bright, but I guess the tone knobs at 500K and 1Meg and those caps have a lot to do with it!...and they are single coil pickups after all

Thanks a lot!

You can order this pot from the G&L On-Line Store.

Hope this helps.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:22 pm

So I just took it to my repairman and he was able to re-assemble the potentiometer! No replacement necessary! Lots learned. Thanks for your help gents!

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:12 am

I was going to suggest you fix it yourself, as the same thing happened to me with my Legacy once.

For the sake of those who might one day experience this same phenomenon and find this post looking for a solution, I'll briefly explain how to fix a pot that has been broken in this manner.

The top and bottom of many potentiometers are held together by metal tabs on the bottom casing which cup up over the top of the pot, and are then bent at a 90 degree angle to hold the bottom casing on the pot. If you push down on the stem hard enough, you can push the bottom casing right off, or off far enough, that the rotating pin just spins around with no resistance (electrical pun intended). To fix this, you just hold the bottom casing where it ought to be, then bend the tabs over the top so that it stays together. It is a very simple fix.

Normally, the casing is affixed securely enough that pushing down on the knob won't cause the casing to separate - but every now and again a casing will have a tab or two that isn't sufficiently bent, and pressing on the knob will separate the casing enough to either make the pot feel loose, or effectively separate the casing enough to make the pot useless.

Hope that helps someone in the future. I was fairly put out when this happened to me, as it was a brand new pot I had just purchased, and didn't like the idea of having to order a new one (and wait for it to show up). I remember sort of looking at it and thinking - hey, these things are just held together by these bent tabs of metal on the bottom casing... what if just put it back and bent the tabs better? Voila! I felt like a mad scientist!