How much would I regret letting go of an S-500 semi-hollow

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:29 am

Hi all!

A short while back I picked up a blackburst S-500 semi-hollow. It came up at an auction and I think a lot of people overlooked it because of the sheer amount of Gibson/Fender also there. I play the guitar a fair amount but for some reason I've just never really fallen in love with it and I'm starting to consider letting it go. When I bought it I really didn't know much about G&L guitars at all (and I'm still not that knowledgeable tbh), so I thought I would come here for some advice. Should I take some more time to get acquainted with it? From others who have sold similar instruments, how much am I going to regret selling this if I ultimately decide to? From what I gather, not many of these were made (I believe this one is from around 2008-2010). I feel like I'm not quite realizing or appreciating the type of monster guitar that I have.

Re: How much would I regret letting go of an S-500 semi-holl

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:31 am

I’d probably give it 6-12 months before moving on. Takes a while to figure out and to put it through the paces. It’s value isn’t going anywhere, so might as well give it some more time

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:22 pm

I agree with Mike. And if you are not familiar with the PTB system check out this post: Can you explain the PTB circuit?.

Hope this helps.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:46 am

I agree with the others, in that (a) I think you'd eventually regret it and (b) the most likely hurdle is that you're likely unfamiliarity with the Passive treble and bass circuitry.

You can do everything using the PTB circuit that you do on a typical strat without ever using the bass tone. The only difference being that the treble tone affects the circuit rather than individual pickups. So if your playing on one, two or all three pickups - the treble knob will filter the higher frequencies out of the aggregate signal, rather than out of the signal coming from a particular pickup in the mix. The end result is that you should be able, with just the volume and tone knobs, to ape everything you'd normally hear from a strat.

A great way to learn to use the PTB is to ignore the bass knob altogether until you've learned to ape a strat on your G&L using only the volume and treble pots. Once you've done that, then it's time to start playing with the bass knob. Strats don't have a knob to filter out bass, so as soon as you start playing with the bass knob - you're in new country (tonically speaking).

Once I got used to it, I started using the bass control to tweak what I was hearing. Even now, when I am dialing in a tone, I start with no bass, adjust the treble to where I think it ought to be, only then to I remove some bass from the signal - if that is what I'm going for.

Mileage may vary, but I can say this: once I learned how to dial in a tone, I realized how much more this guitar could do than guitars that lacked such circuitry. The greatest impediment to my loving the PTB circuit (and hence the guitar) was my ignorance of how it really worked. Once I got that - it became way easier to find whatever sound I wanted to get.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:23 am

Just going to jump in here real quick. I have a semi hollow S500, and 3 f100's and a Comanche. I bought the S500 on a lark, I was getting rid of some other stuff and the guitar store ( Guitar Center) had it in inventory. Offered me a very good deal, as in my out of pocket expense was a couple of hundred. So I got it home, and it was set up incredibly badly and it looked like someone had thrown up on the back of it ( It was shipped from southern California, in two boxes. One for the guitar one for the case. Go figure) So any way cleaned it up reset the action new strings etc. I have to admit, I don't want it to be 'my fave', but I pick it up more that the other four combined. It takes a bit to get used to it. The bridge sounds more like a Tele to me than anything else. The PTB is very useful especially with distortion. ( I use a blues driver and a modified big muff ) the other two pickups are, to me, very sweet, kind of a vintage sound to me. I think it sound more like that 1968 Strat that I got to noodle around on in high school Than just about anything else out there, including the legacy. (IMHO) My suggestion, spend some time goofing around on it. Like you said if you sell it, you may not find another to replace it with later, at least not at a good price! The semi hollow S bodies actually hold their value a lot better than solid bodied versions of the same guitar! Really and truly, it is all about putting that smile on your face, if after a couple of months it is just not doing it for you, well, get something that makes you smile.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:26 am

I don't think you'd regret it at all, especially if you sold it to me for about $400, just think how happy I would be! ;) I'm waiting to take delivery on an S-500 Tribute I got recently on reverb.com, so I don't have any real experience with a G&L in hand. I'm sure I'll wax poetic about it once it arrives!

Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:29 pm

mdc88 wrote:Hi all!

A short while back I picked up a blackburst S-500 semi-hollow. It came up at an auction and I think a lot of people overlooked it because of the sheer amount of Gibson/Fender also there. I play the guitar a fair amount but for some reason I've just never really fallen in love with it and I'm starting to consider letting it go. When I bought it I really didn't know much about G&L guitars at all (and I'm still not that knowledgeable tbh), so I thought I would come here for some advice. Should I take some more time to get acquainted with it? From others who have sold similar instruments, how much am I going to regret selling this if I ultimately decide to? From what I gather, not many of these were made (I believe this one is from around 2008-2010). I feel like I'm not quite realizing or appreciating the type of monster guitar that I have.

I had relationship problems with my S-500 early on as well - but nearly three years later I still have her and I'm glad I do.
If you treat an S-500 like it's a Strat you will never hear it at its best. Most importantly never run the guitars volume knob at 100% because it rarely if ever sounds good.
You might also need to reduce the bass at times as well to remove the muddiness that can occur with certain amps or indeed rooms.

However, when you do get an S-500 dialled it's a beast of a guitar, much like a Strat on steroids that can pretty much cover all styles of music and mimic a lot of other guitars.

About the only thing it does not do is the ice pick highs of a Strat.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:55 pm

The S-500 I own was my first G&L. I have had it for almost 8 years now. it plays the Strat part very well but it really can sound like almost anything. Its the electric that is out in living room as I type. Dan explained PTB very well. The sky is the limit tone wise. Give it at least six months. I have never played a semi-hollow version however.