Empress Doheny and Vibrato Question

Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Hello, I really hope you fellas can help me.

I am really close to getting an Empress body Doheny with the G&L Dual Fulcrum Vibrato.

Should I be worried about the vibrato screws stripping out or shifting position due to the softer Empress wood?

Empress (paulownia) comes in varying degrees of qualities I've read, and I figure that G&L knows what they are doing and have some good quality wood, but some luthiers say that the tremolo screws ought to be reinforced with harder wood inserts.

I really want this guitar but the concern about migrating or stripping screws is what is holding me back.

Thoughts?!

And yes, I really do want a guitar that is 8 lbs or less...My Fender Jazzmaster is 8.14 lbs, and I guess I could go to 8.1 or 8.2lbs, but these are not that easy to find either, and this Empress one is ready for the taking!

Re: !

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:00 pm

CarpathianWhips wrote:Hello, I really hope you fellas can help me.

I am really close to getting an Empress body Doheny with the G&L Dual Fulcrum Vibrato.

Should I be worried about the vibrato screws stripping out or shifting position due to the softer Empress wood?

Empress (paulownia) comes in varying degrees of qualities I've read, and I figure that G&L knows what they are doing and have some good quality wood, but some luthiers say that the tremolo screws ought to be reinforced with harder wood inserts.

I really want this guitar but the concern about migrating or stripping screws is what is holding me back.

Thoughts?!

And yes, I really do want a guitar that is 8 lbs or less...My Fender Jazzmaster is 8.14 lbs, and I guess I could go to 8.1 or 8.2lbs, but these are not that easy to find either, and this Empress one is ready for the taking!

G&L have been making these Special Builds for several years and I have not heard of any issues with G&L guitars with the DFV bridge and Empress body wood.
Also, G&L's Warranty is for 10 years, so if you should have an issue with it within 10 years, they will fix it or replace it under the warranty. I would not be concerned about it.
Also note that the trem is not just screwed into the body, see: G&L's DF Vibrato System.

Hope this helps.

Re: !

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:26 pm

Craig wrote:
CarpathianWhips wrote:Hello, I really hope you fellas can help me.

Thoughts?!

G&L have been making these Special Builds for several years and I have not heard of any issues with G&L guitars with the DFV bridge and Empress body wood.
Also, G&L's Warranty is for 10 years, so if you should have an issue with it within 10 years, they will fix it or replace it under the warranty. I would not be concerned about it.
Also note that the trem is not just screwed into the body, see: G&L's DF Vibrato System.

Hope this helps.

It does help quite a bid, thanks. I'll see if anyone else chimes in too, but I'm leaning hard toward getting it.

Re: Empress Doheny and Vibrato Question

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:40 pm

I see four Empress Dohenys on the current inventory list (7/5) and they range from 6.7-7.0 lbs.

Check them out, too. ;)

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:49 pm

Craig wrote:I see four Empress Dohenys on the current inventory list (7/5) and they range from 6.7-7.0 lbs.

Check them out, too. ;)

Thanks!

Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:04 pm

I went for it! Empress, surf green/matching headstock, with mint guard and parchment pickup covers, with DFV. I should get it early next week.

Question: is there a way I could get another pick guard from G&L in the future if I want, say, a tortoise shell pick guard?

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:31 pm

The guitar is amazing. The guitar seems very solidly built. It is a very resonant guitar acoustically, which is satisfying, even though I don't think it has much to do with the electric guitar tone or response. Plugged in it sounds glorious and sustains very well. The PTB electronics and the MFD pickups are amazing, truly superlative tones out of this guitar. I love the DFV, wow. Super Bitchen guitar.

The string spacing feels a wee bit narrow, and the neck is a bit slim for me, but not to the point where it bums me out.

I dig it!

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:44 pm

CarpathianWhips wrote:I went for it! Empress, surf green/matching headstock, with mint guard and parchment pickup covers, with DFV. I should get it early next week.

Question: is there a way I could get another pick guard from G&L in the future if I want, say, a tortoise shell pick guard?

Yes, from the G&L On-Line Store.

Hope this helps.