Locking tuners - hard to turn

Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:04 pm

I recently purchased and installed locking tuners. It seems like a dumb question but I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing about how these work because I'm concerned how difficult it is to turn one of the tuners. As I get near pitch on the A string, it gets difficult to turn, such that I'm concerned I may break something. It only has about 1/2 to 3/4 wrap. Any advice is appreciated.

Re: Locking tuners - hard to turn

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:06 pm

First make sure the tuner is installed properly such that it is not binding. If OK, Have try slightly loosening the screw on the peg that you turn to actuate the tuner.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Does the tuner move freely without a string on it? If no, then it is a problem with the tuner and/or installation. The string should not wrap around the post on a locking tuner. You pull it through the tuner hole, take out the slack by pulling the string tight, lock the tuner on the back, then tune the string to pitch. By doing so, the string will have about 1/2 a wrap (give or take) on the post.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:55 am

Thanks for replies - will try those approaches when I replace the string in the future