My clip-on tuner chewed the SN off the headstock

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:25 am

So, my Legacy has the waterslide SN on the back of the headstock. I used a clip-on tuner for a while before I noticed that it had chewed off about half of the decal. How do I get this problem rectified?

Re: My clip-on tuner chewed the SN off the headstock

Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:38 am

ieso wrote:So, my Legacy has the waterslide SN on the back of the headstock. I used a clip-on tuner for a while before I noticed that it had chewed off about half of the decal. How do I get this problem rectified?

I couldn't tell you how to get a new SN decal, but now I am very curious about the decal now, and how this'll be eventually be rectified.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:26 am

ieso wrote:So, my Legacy has the waterslide SN on the back of the headstock. I used a clip-on tuner for a while before I noticed that it had chewed off about half of the decal. How do I get this problem rectified?

I suggest you contact G&L Product Support: G&L PRODUCT SUPPORT.

Hope this helps.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:29 am

DanDoulogos wrote:

I couldn't tell you how to get a new SN decal, but now I am very curious about the decal now, and how this'll be eventually be rectified.

The factory has changed to a laser-etched serial number, see: A recent serial numbering change ....

Hope this helps.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:33 am

One more reason to stick to 3-bolts ... ;-)

- Jos

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:39 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:One more reason to stick to 3-bolts ... ;-)

- Jos

+1 :evilgrin:

Tom

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:46 am

Thanks for the heads up (PSA) on this.. 2 of my 3 x G&L are 90s 3-bolts so i’d never even thought about it (i guess partly because clip on tuners were not even a thing back in the 90s) but obviously the sn was stamped into the neck plate back then, but after reading this i noted that my newest has the sn up on the back of the headstock right where the clip on sits... i will be careful now. Cheers.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:19 pm

Many of my G&L have a painted headstock. I would never even think of using a clip on tuner.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:43 pm

Thanks all. I did contact G&L via the listed email address but never heard back. I have a card from Chris Robosan that he sent me years ago so I tried the email listed on it. Hopefully he'll come through before the end of the week.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:05 am

ieso wrote:Thanks all. I did contact G&L via the listed email address but never heard back. I have a card from Chris Robosan that he sent me years ago so I tried the email listed on it. Hopefully he'll come through before the end of the week.

Let us know how this goes.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Okay, we're making progress by going through the Facebook page. I got an RA number and they're going to laser etch the sn onto the headstock.

"Fire the laser"

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Was the decal put on top of the clear coat? Is so, that seems wrong.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Interesting how the BBE folk focus their attention on the FB page but seem not to support this site by participating here.

Just an observation...

KF

Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Tooslowhand wrote:Was the decal put on top of the clear coat? Is so, that seems wrong.

Yes, on top of the finish. I don't think this practice was carried on for long. As I recall they couldn't figure out what to do with numbers there for a while as they tried this and that before switching to the laser etching.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:22 pm

ieso wrote:
Tooslowhand wrote:Was the decal put on top of the clear coat? Is so, that seems wrong.

Yes, on top of the finish. I don't think this practice was carried on for long. As I recall they couldn't figure out what to do with numbers there for a while as they tried this and that before switching to the laser etching.

This reminds me of a story Tim Page of Buffalo Brothers fame recounts on the ASAT Trinity page. When he showed the guitar to George Fullerton, the latter suggested the model should receive its own distinctive model logo. Which George designed within 5 days:

Of course some concerns were expressed about the decal needing to be applied on top of the finish, but George assured everybody that wouldn't be a problem. After all, that's what they had done at Fender for years, and those decals had lasted more than 50 years by then ...

This was in the pre-clip-on era of course ;-)

- Jos

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:29 pm

The Doheny lends itself to a creative graphic arts treatment... They better get on it!

Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:46 am

Katefan wrote:Interesting how the BBE folk focus their attention on the FB page but seem not to support this site by participating here.

Just an observation...

KF

I used to have a thriving BB style forum years ago and when F-book came along it was just decimated. These days, its it's not Fbook or Instagram or Twitter, etc., it's a ghost town.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:19 am

It's a shame. While I'm glad G&L are up to date on their social media, I really hate having to drag social media baggage along in order to ask questions about guitars or other products; why do people feel the need to tie in their actual identity and social circles to ask a company a question? It's over-sharing culture at its worst; nothing matters to people any more unless everyone can see it.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:29 am

Danley wrote:It's a shame. While I'm glad G&L are up to date on their social media, I really hate having to drag social media baggage along in order to ask questions about guitars or other products; why do people feel the need to tie in their actual identity and social circles to ask a company a question? It's over-sharing culture at its worst; nothing matters to people any more unless everyone can see it.

Well, I think you're correct. America is a land where people want to be seen doing something rather than doing it. :D The local ski lodge for example, at least half of the folks there don't actually ski but hang out in their ski gear where they can be seen and take selfies to post to FB etc.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:08 pm

Hey, guys, just a good news update. I made my move to MA and sent the neck in and Memo was on it!

I got the neck back in no time and had the thing restrung and it sings beautifully.

https://gtroblq.blogspot.com/2019/04/g-legacy.html

that's an old photo in the link above (check out the filthy, filthy maple neck; I've since put a SD hot rails in the bridge position but still prefer the neck single coil into a cranked Marshall tone. Love it!

https://youtu.be/kUCnPSdk85I?t=15