New S-500 owner - help with volume??

Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:29 am

Hi Guys

I have just purchased an almost new G&L S500 which I must say is absolutely stunning. However when I amped it up today I noticed the overall volume output is very very low compared to my Gretsch 6120 with TV Jones Classic pus. So much so that I needed to play at twice the amp volume to achieve the same output.

Can someone help, are the MFD pus of a lower volume output than other guitars??

many Thanks

Scotty

Re: New S-500 owner - help with volume??

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:34 am

Hello,

Aside from a different output between single coils and humbuckers, you can't really say that MFDs are low output pups. Quite the opposite actually. Are they correctly wired?
Note that I don't know TV Jones pups.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:49 pm

I'm a moron, but I suspect your guitar has some kind of electronic fault. The MFDs are powerful and should be at least as "loud" as the TV Jones pups. It might be worthwhile to talk to the previous owner if known. Maybe he experimented with other pickups and failed to put things back together properly when restoring it to stock..... - ed
Last edited by zapcosongs on Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:25 pm

The S500 Tribute I borrowed played as loud as I wanted it to. Volume was never an issue. :confused0007:

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:29 pm

How is the pickup height? Is it possible the previous owner lowered the pickups too far?