S-500 with Legacy neck

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:40 am

I've been looking for an S-500 for a while (I have a Legacy, Comanche, ASAT, and F-100, but no S-500). I've been offered one that has had the neck swapped with a Legacy, apparently just because the owner preferred rosewood over maple. Are there any things to be concerned with regarding such a swap? I'm wanting the S-500 primarily because of the the pickups and different sound. Thanks. David

Re: S-500 with Legacy neck

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:20 am

I have no idea if that swap is a good match. I would imagine so as they are basically the same guitar, just differences in options for the most part. However, there are so many S-500's for sale out there for good prices. Some are really nice and a very good value so why mess around with potential issues that will cause problems down the road and affect value. Unless it's dirt cheap and you want to take the risk. If you want an S-500, buy an S-500.

Just my tuppence, I'm no expert.

Tom

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:22 pm

FZTNT wrote:I have no idea if that swap is a good match. I would imagine so as they are basically the same guitar, just differences in options for the most part. However, there are so many S-500's for sale out there for good prices. Some are really nice and a very good value so why mess around with potential issues that will cause problems down the road and affect value. Unless it's dirt cheap and you want to take the risk. If you want an S-500, buy an S-500.

Tom

Well, to answer your "why..." question, it's because I live in Australia where they are much harder to find. I managed to luck into a situation with a guy in South Australia who had previously imported several G&Ls, so that's where I got my Comanche, ASATs, and F-100; and my USA Legacy I previously bought in the USA. I just don't see many S-500s around here so I eventually put a wanted add on an Australian cite. I've had two responses in months, and the first wanted too much for it. I'm also not worried about re-sale value, because I don't see myself selling my G&L guitars. I just wanted to make sure that there some specific reason why switching those necks might not work well. Thanks though.

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:57 pm

dhgleaves wrote:I just wanted to make sure that there some specific reason why switching those necks might not work well.

There aren't any. An S-500 is just a Legacy with other pickups. At least for long time now.

I've got an 1985 S-500 which isn't a Legacy. It looks like this (which reminds me, to make some better pictures, these are awful):

Some other pictures of it: http://www.wuell.net/gallery/view_album ... Name=S-500

Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:41 am

Pictures look good to me, and thanks for the reply.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:03 am

dhgleaves wrote:I've been looking for an S-500 for a while (I have a Legacy, Comanche, ASAT, and F-100, but no S-500). I've been offered one that has had the neck swapped with a Legacy, apparently just because the owner preferred rosewood over maple. Are there any things to be concerned with regarding such a swap? I'm wanting the S-500 primarily because of the the pickups and different sound. Thanks. David

I would ask the seller what the serial number of the neck is, to determine whether the neck came from a Tribute Legacy or US Legacy.
Do you have photos you could post? You would want to know whether the body is US or a Tribute.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:41 pm

dhgleaves wrote:
FZTNT wrote:I have no idea if that swap is a good match. I would imagine so as they are basically the same guitar, just differences in options for the most part. However, there are so many S-500's for sale out there for good prices. Some are really nice and a very good value so why mess around with potential issues that will cause problems down the road and affect value. Unless it's dirt cheap and you want to take the risk. If you want an S-500, buy an S-500.

Tom

Well, to answer your "why..." question, it's because I live in Australia where they are much harder to find. I managed to luck into a situation with a guy in South Australia who had previously imported several G&Ls, so that's where I got my Comanche, ASATs, and F-100; and my USA Legacy I previously bought in the USA. I just don't see many S-500s around here so I eventually put a wanted add on an Australian cite. I've had two responses in months, and the first wanted too much for it. I'm also not worried about re-sale value, because I don't see myself selling my G&L guitars. I just wanted to make sure that there some specific reason why switching those necks might not work well. Thanks though.

Sorry, I forgot about the whole Aussie thing and not having a good source for these guitars. What these other guys have said seems to make sense so I would follow their advice and carry on. Is it mostly a shipping cost issue that makes G&L's so scarce in Australia or other tariffs or lack of interest?

Tom

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:12 am

Sorry, I forgot about the whole Aussie thing and not having a good source for these guitars. What these other guys have said seems to make sense so I would follow their advice and carry on. Is it mostly a shipping cost issue that makes G&L's so scarce in Australia or other tariffs or lack of interest?

I can only imagine how scarce a G&L would be in Australia. As far as lack of interest goes I would put it squarely on the shoulders of G&L. They seem indifferent to growing their brand and selling more guitars. Good luck with your search, the S-500 is a great guitar.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Craig wrote:
dhgleaves wrote:I've been looking for an S-500 for a while (I have a Legacy, Comanche, ASAT, and F-100, but no S-500). I've been offered one that has had the neck swapped with a Legacy, apparently just because the owner preferred rosewood over maple. Are there any things to be concerned with regarding such a swap? I'm wanting the S-500 primarily because of the the pickups and different sound. Thanks. David

I would ask the seller what the serial number of the neck is, to determine whether the neck came from a Tribute Legacy or US Legacy.
Do you have photos you could post? You would want to know whether the body is US or a Tribute.

Yea, I've already checked both serial numbers with G&L, and they are both USA models. The S-500 is an older model (2007) than the Legacy (2013). On both guitars, the necks had the same radius (12") and nut width (1-5/8”). I have some pictures that I'll try to post, a little later.

David

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:31 pm

FZTNT wrote:
dhgleaves wrote:

Tom

Tom

Well, there's only one authorised dealer in the whole country, and they seem to sell more Tributes than anything else. Getting one from the US would mean dealing with the exchange rate (currently the US dollar is about 1.4 Australian dollars) plus shipping and import taxes. On top of all of that, the S-500 just seems rarest here. The majority of US models I've seen here are either Legacies or ASATs (even more Comanches than S-500s). I'm also looking specifically for a maple fingerboard so I realise my options are limited. I had one other guy reply to my add and his price was 50% more than this one. David

Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:24 am

Here are the pictures that I have so far (I've asked for more), plus I have close-ups of the serial numbers. I can also see from the close-up that it has locking tuners.

and
and
and

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:23 am

Just in case, there is an S500 (US) from 1982 on ebay, in Blackburn, Victoria. Probably a bit pricey, though...

Is the last picture from the original S500 neck? So you get both necks?

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:57 am

Have you asked G&L what that number on the neck is? It's not a serial number. They often use numbers like this for repair orders. They might be able to tell you if this neck was ever sent back for some type of repair.

Tom

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:20 pm

dhgleaves wrote:Here are the pictures that I have so far (I've asked for more), plus I have close-ups of the serial numbers. I can also see from the close-up that it has locking tuners.

and
and
and

That is not the serial number; it is the sales order number. The serial number will be on the back of the headstock on both of the necks. The
body and the original neck are definitely made at the Fullerton factory in Calif. I still would like to see the serial number of the current neck.

Hope this helps.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:23 pm

If you are OK with it not being a factory S-500, maybe you could look at un-modified Legacies and then put some S-500 MFD pickups in it. Then if you ever want to sell it you could put the Alnico pickups back in it and have an unmolested guitar to sell. Just a though.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:59 pm

yucafrita wrote:Just in case, there is an S500 (US) from 1982 on ebay, in Blackburn, Victoria. Probably a bit pricey, though...

Is the last picture from the original S500 neck? So you get both necks?

Thanks but, yes, the one in Blackburn is over twice as much as the one with the Legacy neck. Yes, the last picture is of the S-500 but, no, I wouldn't be getting both necks. The other guy put that neck on the Legacy and would be keeping that.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:02 pm

Tooslowhand wrote:If you are OK with it not being a factory S-500, maybe you could look at un-modified Legacies and then put some S-500 MFD pickups in it. Then if you ever want to sell it you could put the Alnico pickups back in it and have an unmolested guitar to sell. Just a though.

Yes, I had considered that. I actually have two Legacies, one USA and one Tribute, so I could switch out the pickups in one of them. However, I also like them both as they are so I'm not sure if I want to do that.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:25 pm

FZTNT wrote:Have you asked G&L what that number on the neck is? It's not a serial number. They often use numbers like this for repair orders. They might be able to tell you if this neck was ever sent back for some type of repair.

Tom

I didn't know what that number was but, according to Craig's reply, it's a sales number. Both necks have serial numbers on the back of the headstock, and both begin with CLF. I have checked them out with G&L.

David

Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:36 pm

I can't see any reason to not purchase it as long as you are OK with its history and the price is right for you. If it's any consolation, Maton guitars are pretty pricey here, and not easy to find either.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:24 am

Tooslowhand wrote:I can't see any reason to not purchase it as long as you are OK with its history and the price is right for you. If it's any consolation, Maton guitars are pretty pricey here, and not easy to find either.

Thanks. Based somewhat on the responses that I got here, I'm definitely now not concerned about the swapping of the neck issue. It's going to come down to concerns about buying a guitar that I can't see in person and play first. I've done that before (I got my first G&L that way), but not in a long time.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:45 am

If the price is right I'll for sure buy a guitar I've never played before. In fact, for certain rarer models I have bought guitars online because I've never played them before, as buying one may be my only chance to play one in real life :D

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:58 am

I have a lot of guitars and I bought 75% of them without playing them first. As long as the seller is reputable / will accept return if there is a significant issue, I don't think this is a problem. just make sure they pack it well and insure the shipment. One of the instruments I bought had a very minor fret issue that my luthier fixed. The only time I got burned is when I won an auction and the seller wouldn't ship the guitar. He said his cat had knocked it off the stand the night before and it now had a problem. Right. Couldn't be that I got it for a very good price. Even there I wasn't out any money.

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:19 pm

Tooslowhand wrote:I have a lot of guitars and I bought 75% of them without playing them first. As long as the seller is reputable / will accept return if there is a significant issue, I don't think this is a problem. just make sure they pack it well and insure the shipment. One of the instruments I bought had a very minor fret issue that my luthier fixed. The only time I got burned is when I won an auction and the seller wouldn't ship the guitar. He said his cat had knocked it off the stand the night before and it now had a problem. Right. Couldn't be that I got it for a very good price. Even there I wasn't out any money.

The problem in this case was that it was hard to determine if the seller is reputable because this wasn't happening through Ebay, Reverb, or any store. The guy had just responded to my wanted add, and I was hoping to get local responses rather than one from out of town. I was planning to use PayPal because of their buyer protection, but when I brought up that issue and started asking for more personal details (e.g., where he worked and his address), the guy backed out of the deal, claiming that he had decided that the guitar was too nice to sell. Maybe he was telling the truth or maybe it was going to be an attempted scam. I don't know but, at this point, I'm back to where I started, although I'm also now considering just buying a set of MFD pickups to put into a different guitar. Thanks for all of the help though. David

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:46 pm

Seems like you made the right choice. Remember, if you go the pickup route the PTB controls have a significant role in the tone. So if you aren't planning to put the pickups in a G&L guitar, you would probably want to replicate the volume / tone controls too.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:52 pm

Well, it's been almost a year, and it's a long story, but I now own this guitar (as of yesterday). Here are some pictures.

It's my first S-500. So my question, I guess for Craig, is how am I supposed to put this in the registry? It has two different serial numbers (one for the neck and one for the body) and it's combination of two models.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:59 pm

dhgleaves wrote:Well, it's been almost a year, and it's a long story, but I now own this guitar (as of yesterday). Here are some pictures.

It's my first S-500. So my question, I guess for Craig, is how am I supposed to put this in the registry? It has two different serial numbers (one for the neck and one for the body) and it's combination of two models.

Since you know the S-500's original serial number, check to see if it is currently registered in the G&L Registry.
If it is in the Registry, let me now that serial number and the Legacy neck serial number so that I can change the serial number to the that of the Legacy neck and make a note in the Other fields of the original S/N and the Legacy neck replacement.
If it is not in the Registry, just register it as an S-500 with the Legacy neck serial number and make a note in the Other fields of the original S/N and the Legacy neck replacement.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:16 am

Ok, the S-500 is in the registry; the Legacy is not. I'll send you a PM with the details.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:10 am

dhgleaves wrote:Ok, the S-500 is in the registry; the Legacy is not. I'll send you a PM with the details.

I have made the S-500 SN registry change. Do any further edits and change ownership to yourself.

Enjoy your S-500!

Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:37 am

congrats, dhgleaves, nice looking s500! i like the tort on white with maple board