Natural or Butterscotch finish

Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:17 pm

I've recently acquired a G&L guitar from a very dear friend who passed on last year. He had registered the guitar (ASAT 3) previously here as having a Natural finish. Now, I thought the finish may be butterscotch stain. The wood grain is clearly visible, but the color is more of orange-ish gold, not the soft tan I'm used to seeing for Natural finish. Is the butterscotch finish supposed to be opaque? It isn't blonde either. The guitar's look reminds me a lot of Bruce Springsteen's famous Esquire guitar.

I know it would be better if I had a photo, but I think the file is too large to submit here. I'm trying to find a link to a guitar with a similar color.

thanks for your help..
Eric

Re: Natural or Butterscotch finish

Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:00 am

Bluesole wrote:I've recently acquired a G&L guitar from a very dear friend who passed on last year. He had registered the guitar (ASAT 3) previously here as having a Natural finish. Now, I thought the finish may be butterscotch stain. The wood grain is clearly visible, but the color is more of orange-ish gold, not the soft tan I'm used to seeing for Natural finish. Is the butterscotch finish supposed to be opaque? It isn't blonde either. The guitar's look reminds me a lot of Bruce Springsteen's famous Esquire guitar.

I know it would be better if I had a photo, but I think the file is too large to submit here. I'm trying to find a link to a guitar with a similar color.

thanks for your help..
Eric

Check the section on Posting Photos in the guitarsbyleo.com History and G&LDP Guidelines.

Hete's a picture of a Butterscotch Blonde ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow from G&L's website:

Hope this helps.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:57 pm

Thanks, Craig. Well, at least I guess I can eliminate the possibility that it is a butterscotch finish.

Eric :shocked028:

Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:03 pm

Bluesole wrote:Thanks, Craig. Well, at least I guess I can eliminate the possibility that it is a butterscotch finish.

Eric :shocked028:

Hi Eric,

I got your pictures and resized them. The ASAT III's finish is the Natural Gloss on a Swamp Ash body.
It has aged to a very nice golden hue.

Enjoy it and I'm sure you will think of your dear friend while you play.