Here’s a great video shared by our friend Ben Woods jamming

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Recently posted on G&L's facebook page:

Here’s a great video shared by our friend Ben Woods jamming at Leo's Lounge ・・・
Penetration (by the Pyramids)

phpBB [video]

This video can also be seen on youtube. Search on "Ben Woods guitar" for other videos he has done played on the Doheny.
Last edited by Craig on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Here’s a great video shared by our friend Ben Woods jamm

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:31 am

Hey Craig!

Thank you for posting these videos - I appreciate them!

I typically peruse these forums on my down-time at work (I'm a government IT worker during the week). Social media content is blocked on our network (to protect us from people within from posting things that could get them, and by extension their bosses, in a lot of trouble). That's not a bother to me since social media isn't one of my crutches.

The only time I regret the fact that about 40% of all companies block social media, is when you post a link to Facebook, and I can't get to it directly.

If I want to see a posted video I have to search YouTube for it. It would be a small help - but when you post these videos, can you include a link to the same video on YouTube? I can't be the only one who isn't able to access inline videos that (although hosted on YouTube) are linked to the post to a social media site like Facebook.

Just a thought - trying to be helpful and informative, and certainly not critical.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:34 am

DanDoulogos wrote:Hey Craig!

Thank you for posting these videos - I appreciate them!

I typically peruse these forums on my down-time at work (I'm a government IT worker during the week). Social media content is blocked on our network (to protect us from people within from posting things that could get them, and by extension their bosses, in a lot of trouble). That's not a bother to me since social media isn't one of my crutches.

The only time I regret the fact that about 40% of all companies block social media, is when you post a link to Facebook, and I can't get to it directly.

If I want to see a posted video I have to search YouTube for it. It would be a small help - but when you post these videos, can you include a link to the same video on YouTube? I can't be the only one who isn't able to access inline videos that (although hosted on YouTube) are linked to the post to a social media site like Facebook.

Just a thought - trying to be helpful and informative, and certainly not critical.

Sorry, but because youtube.com links RED fail the link check, I will not post the youtube.com link.
Instead, I will provide a search keyword string to use when searching on youtube.

Hope this helps.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:04 am

Craig wrote:
Sorry, but because youtube.com links RED fail the link check, I will not post the youtube.com link.
Instead, I will provide a search keyword string to use when searching on youtube.

Hope this helps.

Facebook.com fails the URLVoid test also, albeit only on one out of 35, rather than 2 out of 35 blacklist engines checked.

So, no. that didn't help, it only made it worse. :think:

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:18 am

DanDoulogos wrote:
Craig wrote:

Hope this helps.

Facebook.com fails the URLVoid test also, albeit only on one out of 35, rather than 2 out of 35 blacklist engines checked.

So, no. that didn't help, it only made it worse. :think:

Yes it do know some facebook.com (and ebay.com) links fail, too. It's only an issue when posting the external links.
Using those links in inline video posts are fine though.

I'm not sure why posting the youtube search string makes it worse, though. :think:

Sorry, that posting the facebook and youtube videos inline don't work for you. I guess you have to wait to view them at home.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:52 am

Craig wrote:
I'm not sure why posting the youtube search string makes it worse, though. :think:

Hehe. It's because scumware.org returned one of the two failures required to list the site as "red".

If you go to URLVoid and type in YouTube.com pay attention to the two sites that fail. Follow the details link on the scumware.org, and you end up on their page where you can (after proving you're not a robot by passing their 'fill in the letters' test) you can enter www.youtube.com into the url (make sure you select the Hostname/URL radio button beneath the text box) and see what comes up.

I can tell you. A single failure from 2013 comes up.

Now do the same for facebook.com. A whole bunch of successes come up... from 2013 also.

The last time scumware polled facebook.com was in 2013....

Let that sink in.

The reason youtube is failing on scumware.org (and subsequently causing URLVoid.com to fail) is because scumware.org hasn't refreshed it's blacklist since 2013.

If you try to find info on CNN.com on scumware.org, you won't be able to find it (i.e. it isn't even in their domain list). There is no way this site has been updated in the past five years. It should be re-named abandonware.org or taken off the net.

I expect that the other failure in the list (from GROUP-IB.com) is failing for the same reason. GROUP-IB.com no longer offers the service. That means that the blacklist that is being checked by URLVoid, still exists but is no longer being updated. So both Facebook and Youtube, at some time in the past, had an issue - that's all that tells us.

So yeah, I feel worse, because the reason we're avoiding using Youtube on this site is because the URLVoid site hasn't removed these two useless, abandoned blacklists engines from their aggregate list.

Craig - please verify these details. We're not using Youtube links because one site in the aggregate found a virus on Youtube five years ago, and hasn't updated its blacklist since.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:18 am

DanDoulogos wrote:
Craig wrote:

Hehe. It's because scumware.org returned one of the two failures required to list the site as "red".

If you go to URLVoid and type in YouTube.com pay attention to the two sites that fail. Follow the details link on the scumware.org, and you end up on their page where you can (after proving you're not a robot by passing their 'fill in the letters' test) you can enter http://www.youtube.com into the url (make sure you select the Hostname/URL radio button beneath the text box) and see what comes up.

I can tell you. A single failure from 2013 comes up.

Now do the same for facebook.com. A whole bunch of successes come up... from 2013 also.

The last time scumware polled facebook.com was in 2013....

Let that sink in.

The reason youtube is failing on scumware.org (and subsequently causing URLVoid.com to fail) is because scumware.org hasn't refreshed it's blacklist since 2013.

If you try to find info on CNN.com on scumware.org, you won't be able to find it (i.e. it isn't even in their domain list). There is no way this site has been updated in the past five years. It should be re-named abandonware.org or taken off the net.

I expect that the other failure in the list (from GROUP-IB.com) is failing for the same reason. GROUP-IB.com no longer offers the service. That means that the blacklist that is being checked by URLVoid, still exists but is no longer being updated. So both Facebook and Youtube, at some time in the past, had an issue - that's all that tells us.

So yeah, I feel worse, because the reason we're avoiding using Youtube on this site is because the URLVoid site hasn't removed these two useless, abandoned blacklists engines from their aggregate list.

Craig - please verify these details. We're not using Youtube links because one site in the aggregate found a virus on Youtube five years ago, and hasn't updated its blacklist since.

Thanks for all the research on this. :thumbup:
At some point I will need to find a better link checker when I have some free time.
We are not avoiding using youtube at all. As long as you use the BBcodes (video and ytv) to post the videos inline, there is no issue.
It's only when you post external links that there might be a problem and that is why we require any external link to be checked. If you know of a better method
of checking these links let me know.

Thanks again for you input.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:24 pm

Craig wrote:
Thanks for all the research on this. :thumbup:
At some point I will need to find a better link checker when I have some free time.
We are not avoiding using youtube at all. As long as you use the BBcodes (video and ytv) to post the videos inline, there is no issue.
It's only when you post external links that there might be a problem and that is why we require any external link to be checked. If you know of a better method
of checking these links let me know.

Thanks again for you input.

I still use URLVoid - its one of the best (free) ones out there for identifying websites known for malware. But rather than blindly make my decision (safe/unsafe) on the color returned by the search (green no fails, yellow one fail, red two or more fails) - I'm just going to look at the list myself and make a judgment. If I'm only failing on scumware.org or group-ib - sites that are known or suspected to be unreliable - I'll ignore those results and pay attention to the other 33 sites that remain credible.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:55 pm

DanDoulogos wrote:If I'm only failing on scumware.org or group-ib - sites that are known or suspected to be unreliable - I'll ignore those results and pay attention to the other 33 sites that remain credible.

This sounds like a good rule of thumb, so I will update this post: How to check links using the urlvoid website.

Thanks! :thumbup: