Loose ASAT input jack

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:53 pm

Hey, G&L hivemind!
The 2005 ASAT Z-3 that I recently purchased seems to have a slightly loose input jack-- my cable crackles a little bit if I bump it. I previously had the same issue on my 2000 ASAT Classic and ended up needing to replace the jack. I was wondering if anyone had similar issues with their jacks and if there were any recommendations for tightening the jack (since it seems a bit recessed into the body)? I'm OK with replacing the jack if need be, but I thought I'd see how common this issue was for some of you all. I love my ASATs!

Re: Loose ASAT input jack

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:29 pm

hello and welcome.
i had to replace the switchcraft jack on my '89 asat, re: would cut in and out.
never did it at home, but of course, found out at a gig
see http://www.switchcraft.com/productsumma ... Parent=884
and https://www.bassesbyleo.com/jack_replacement.html

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:26 am

I have had trouble with them on two ASATs. This was a few years back, though. I had to have them replaced in both cases. Are they doing with Football jacks now?

Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:40 am

lefty_major wrote:I have had trouble with them on two ASATs. This was a few years back, though. I had to have them replaced in both cases. Are they doing with Football jacks now?

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:46 am

I have seen a few compliants about the barrel jack on ASATs. When I ordered my ASAT Classic S I specifically rrquested the "football" plate jack. G&L has now switched to the football plate jack as standard. I personally haven't had a problem with the barrel jacks, though I am pretty regimented in my rotation so they don't have a bunch of cycles on them yet.

Cheers, Dan

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:44 am

Craig wrote:
lefty_major wrote:I have had trouble with them on two ASATs. This was a few years back, though. I had to have them replaced in both cases. Are they doing with Football jacks now?

My post seems to have been cut off. :o

Here's the rest:

Yes, the factory changed to the football side jacks beginning in 2012, see: viewtopic.php?p=45571#p45571.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:41 am

Thanks, everyone! This is great info. Glad to know it's not just my bad luck :D
Looks like I'll switch up the jack to the football type so I don't have to fret about it cutting out on me in the future.