Does this JB2 look legit to you?

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:06 pm

I really like the look of it, and the price the guy is selling it to me for seems good, but I'm totally thrown off by the paperwork in the picture not matching the actual bass. Paperwork says L2000 with L Series humbucker pickups, but the picture is a JB2? and I didn't think they made JB2's in 2012?

https://maine.craigslist.org/msg/d/gl-j ... 83169.html

Re: Does this JB2 look legit to you?

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:18 pm

First things first...the headstock modification?
That would knock down the price a bit.
I'd want to see a serial #, to be sure it's a USA model.
Someone might have had an L-2000, and that's where the case and paperwork came from.

a couple red flags :think:

happy hunting ; )

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:43 pm

tbuck92 wrote:I really like the look of it, and the price the guy is selling it to me for seems good, but I'm totally thrown off by the paperwork in the picture not matching the actual bass. Paperwork says L2000 with L Series humbucker pickups, but the picture is a JB2? and I didn't think they made JB2's in 2012?

https://maine.craigslist.org/msg/d/gl-j ... 83169.html

JB-2 basses were produced from 2001 - 2015. Clearly the COA and Custom Build Specification sheets are not for this bass.

I would ask the seller for the serial number on the back of the headstock and why he does not show the actual paperwork for that bass.
If you get the serial number, contact repairs@glguitars.com and ask them to look up the serial number to get the actual specifications.

As noted by Elwood the headstock was modified and agree that that should lower the price of the bass.
I can see that the bass body and neck are US made; neither are Tribute parts.

Hope this helps.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:11 pm

Thank you guys, seems like you saved me from a potential bad purchase. Now on to the next one. I’m looking at one now that looks like it says “schaller” on the tuners on the back instead of the normal G&L, is that normal or are those replacements? I believe it’s late 80s/ early 90s

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:32 pm

tbuck92 wrote:Thank you guys, seems like you saved me from a potential bad purchase. Now on to the next one. I’m looking at one now that looks like it says “shaffer” on the tuners on the back instead of the normal G&L, is that normal or are those replacements?

I have not heard of shaffer tuners and googled them without finding any.
They are probably Schaller tuners which G&L has used in the past. However, the Schaller non-locking tuners G&L used have the G&L logo on the back of each tuner.
The Schaller locking tuners G&L used have no marking on them. So, the ones you saw probably are aftermarket replacements.

Hope this helps.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:01 pm

The picture was a little blurry but your right they are definitely Schaller (updated my posted before I saw you wrote back).