Factory installed Sperzel locking tuners on a 1995-ish ASAT?

Thu May 24, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi everybody,

First time poster on this forum.

So my wife comes home with a 1995-ish ASAT (serial number 0045786) she purchased at a tag sale for a good price. After inspecting it I’m unsure as to whether the tuners were installed at the factory (custom order or special run) or after purchase by a buyer. There is only one “nib” hole adjacent to the larger shaft hole and it’s perfectly positioned for the “nib” on the tuner. I see no evidence that an original “nib” hole, one appropriate for a G&L tuner, was patched up. So my question is, is anyone aware of G&L offering Sperzel locking tuners (or for that any other non-G&L tuners) on a custom order or special run basis?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Last edited by stringthrough on Thu May 24, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Factory installed Sperzel locking tuners on a 1995-ish A

Thu May 24, 2018 2:06 pm

Sperzel tuners have been used as original tuners by G&L. I have a 1995 Legacy Special that came with Sperzel locking tuners new.

Thu May 24, 2018 2:59 pm

Challenger wrote:Sperzel tuners have been used as original tuners by G&L. I have a 1995 Legacy Special that came with Sperzel locking tuners new.

Thanks Challenger!

Thu May 24, 2018 3:40 pm

I think this http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3399 describes tuners used by G&L. The ones marked G&L are actually Schallers but Sperzels have definitely been used (my 90s Legacy had them originally).

Thu May 24, 2018 5:35 pm

dhgleaves wrote:I think this http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3399 describes tuners used by G&L. The ones marked G&L are actually Schallers but Sperzels have definitely been used (my 90s Legacy had them originally).

Thanks dhgleaves... I should mention the Sperzels on my ASAT do not have G&L stamped on them. Is it still safe to assume they were factory installed?

Thu May 24, 2018 6:05 pm

stringthrough wrote:
dhgleaves wrote:I think this http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3399 describes tuners used by G&L. The ones marked G&L are actually Schallers but Sperzels have definitely been used (my 90s Legacy had them originally).

Thanks dhgleaves... I should mention the Sperzels on my ASAT do not have G&L stamped on them. Is it still safe to assume they were factory installed?

The Sperzels never had G&L stamped on them. It's the other ones (Schallers) that have the stamp although the locking ones apparently didn't back them. I think it's safe to say that either yours were factory installed, or Sperzel non-locking tuners were factory installed and someone switched them to locking. That's what I did with my 90s Legacy.

Fri May 25, 2018 3:54 am

dhgleaves wrote:
stringthrough wrote:

The Sperzels never had G&L stamped on them. It's the other ones (Schallers) that have the stamp although the locking ones apparently didn't back them. I think it's safe to say that either yours were factory installed, or Sperzel non-locking tuners were factory installed and someone switched them to locking. That's what I did with my 90s Legacy.

Thanks!

... and here's a picture of the guitar.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/q2pCoOxBlL4JtGQ53

Fri May 25, 2018 1:32 pm

Nice ASAT! I love the jumbo MFDs

Fri May 25, 2018 1:57 pm

dalto wrote:Nice ASAT! I love the jumbo MFDs

Thanks!... BTW, it's now up for sale on Reverb. Why? because I'm primarily a bassist and I already have all the guitars I need. Here's the link: https://reverb.com/item/12577285-g-l-asat-special-from-1995-with-feiten-tuning-system

Sat May 26, 2018 9:28 am

That is interesting about the Buzz Feiten tuning system. I haven't seen that on a G&L before. However, I thought the BF tuning system was comprised of a different nut, which allowed the different strings to have different lengths. The pictures of your guitar look like it has the stock nut.... So, what exactly is the BF tuning system on your guitar?

Sat May 26, 2018 9:37 am

cho wrote:That is interesting about the Buzz Feiten tuning system. I haven't seen that on a G&L before. However, I thought the BF tuning system was comprised of a different nut, which allowed the different strings to have different lengths. The pictures of your guitar look like it has the stock nut.... So, what exactly is the BF tuning system on your guitar?

The nut was moved closer to the first fret (you can still see the line where the nut original sat) so as to compensate for the additional pressure needed to press strings unto frets that are closer to the nut. This additional pressure causes notes up the neck to sound a bit flat compared to ones played nearer to the nut.

Mon May 28, 2018 10:52 am

stringthrough wrote:Hi everybody,

First time poster on this forum.

So my wife comes home with a 1995-ish ASAT (serial number 0045786) she purchased at a tag sale for a good price. After inspecting it I’m unsure as to whether the tuners were installed at the factory (custom order or special run) or after purchase by a buyer. There is only one “nib” hole adjacent to the larger shaft hole and it’s perfectly positioned for the “nib” on the tuner. I see no evidence that an original “nib” hole, one appropriate for a G&L tuner, was patched up. So my question is, is anyone aware of G&L offering Sperzel locking tuners (or for that any other non-G&L tuners) on a custom order or special run basis?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

The serial number is likely G04578; the neckplate serial numbers can be hard to read because the powdercoating can make the 'G' look like a '0'.
Regarding tuners used by G&L, see these posts in our G&L Knowledgebase forum: What tuners are used on G&L guitars (USA models)? and Locking tuners question.

Hope this helps.