Under the pickguard

Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:14 pm

What is under the pickguard on an ASAT special, is it boat routed or something? I am curious as I cannot get a no pickguard ASAT special unless it is a deluxe (and I don't want the curly top) I plan to get trans orange swamp ash w/o a pickguard, but it seems that cannot be done. The alternative might be a clear pickguard, as even if it is not boat routed there will be holes.

Re: Under the pickguard

Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:18 pm

sirmyghin wrote:What is under the pickguard on an ASAT special, is it boat routed or something? I am curious as I cannot get a no pickguard ASAT special unless it is a deluxe (and I don't want the curly top) I plan to get trans orange swamp ash w/o a pickguard, but it seems that cannot be done. The alternative might be a clear pickguard, as even if it is not boat routed there will be holes.

It's not bath tub routed [boat routed?]; there are individual pickup routs.

Have you checked with your G&L dealer to see if the factory will build what you are looking for? They should be able to find out and
let you know whether or not they will build it that way.

Hope this helps.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:42 pm

Craig wrote:
sirmyghin wrote:What is under the pickguard on an ASAT special, is it boat routed or something? I am curious as I cannot get a no pickguard ASAT special unless it is a deluxe (and I don't want the curly top) I plan to get trans orange swamp ash w/o a pickguard, but it seems that cannot be done. The alternative might be a clear pickguard, as even if it is not boat routed there will be holes.

It's not bath tub routed [boat routed?]; there are individual pickup routs.

Have you checked with your G&L dealer to see if the factory will build what you are looking for? They should be able to find out and
let you know whether or not they will build it that way.

Hope this helps.

Checked with A dealer, not sure if they tried to call it in though, was more just fishing for a quick quote at the time. Often companies will be more lenient when it comes time to drop the $$ so I will try again then. Boat, bath tub, both work I guess :D.

Thanks a lot Craig.

Kyle

Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:06 pm

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:We've got a couple in the shop that aren't the quilt/flamed top right now.

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/image ... index.html

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/image ... index.html

One is new, the other used ~ it can be done. Drop an e-mail to:

john@buffalobrosguitars.com and let him know what you want exactly.

Regards,
Tim

Appreciate the help Tim, looking for trans orange when the time comes, on swamp ash. However I just dropped the bank on a Mesa mark V and avatar 412. So thinking 8 month time line right now. Don't want to send the wrong impression here and make it look like I don't appreciate flamed/quilted tops. My Carvin tops however are so stellar I want something a little plainer. Not to mention the grain structure of swamp ash is delicious.

The hate of pickguards comes with the fact I never use them. My picks are agate, shaped closely like either a dunlop sharp, or a jazz pick the size of a traditional pick. If I was picking onto the body with these they would absolutely dig the guitar to crap, that and once again I have been spoiled by the lack of pick guards on my Carvins. More wood showing = better in my mind.