Doheny for Jazz tones?

Sun May 06, 2018 7:41 pm

There wasn't much response in the thread about the new Doheny pickups. I was wondering if these could cop a convincing jazz tone. I am certainly smitten with the Doheny's looks, but based upon the limited clips of these pickups, I like the tone of Fender's Jazzmaster pickups better for this application so far. A shame there are mostly overdriven or reverb drenched surf demos of these; that is cool too, but I would love to hear what the PTB tone knobs could do for these pickups in a cleaner setting, jazz comping. Thoughts?

Re: Doheny for Jazz tones?

Sun May 06, 2018 9:34 pm

TN Blues wrote:There wasn't much response in the thread about the new Doheny pickups. I was wondering if these could cop a convincing jazz tone. I am certainly smitten with the Doheny's looks, but based upon the limited clips of these pickups, I like the tone of Fender's Jazzmaster pickups better for this application so far. A shame there are mostly overdriven or reverb drenched surf demos of these; that is cool too, but I would love to hear what the PTB tone knobs could do for these pickups in a cleaner setting, jazz comping. Thoughts?

It might help get the discussion going if you introduce yourself by posting an introduction post in the Introductions sub-forum.
See: Welcome! Read This First.

:idea: or :BadIdea: ;)

Re: Doheny for Jazz tones?

Mon May 14, 2018 2:30 am

I’ve not t played a Doherty, but all the other MFD single coils are fantastic for jazz sounds. The Z coil is near perfect. Based on this I’d say with confidence that they could do what you want