View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 New Custom Shop Doheny On Order...bringing the beach to gig! 

Post New Custom Shop Doheny On Order...bringing the beach to gig!
Here is what the Custom Shop has cooking for me...what do you think of the Doheny Beach Surf Guitar?

ImageDoheny Deluxe Custom Shop concept by Patrick Krook, on Flickr

This is a riff on a PRS finish I saw called, "Beach Cross Fade". It will also have a flame neck and black block inlays. I am excited to see in in person!

Perhaps they will post pictures on their social media as the build progresses.

~JagInTheBag

Last edited by JagInTheBag on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:31 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: New Custom Shop Doheny On Order...bringing the beach to
I like it- is the headstock a transparent finish as well? I think that would be best.

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:18 pm

Danley wrote:
I like it- is the headstock a transparent finish as well? I think that would be best.

Yes, Master grade flame neck with a transparent finish on the neck. :happy0065:

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:01 pm
Profile WWW

If the neck is tinted like in your rendering, it will look great combined with the lower-bout yellow transition :D

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:07 pm

The neck will be “sand” like the lower-bout. It will also have a “sand” natural binding.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:58 am
Profile WWW

It's a cool color scheme. I wish they could blend the blue and green the same way as the green and yellow are blended. The stark line is distracting. But, if that's what you are looking for, great. Just my thoughts. Can they put a matching veneer on the headstock. I have a Legacy with that and it looks awesome.

Tom

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:57 pm

I love the "quilted" finish on the body and the colors are awesome, it would be cool to see the same pattern and color scheme on the headstock as the body although it could be a bitch to paint... nice looking machine, I gotta give you that \m/

Marshall MX 412A Cabinet
Dunlop JC95 Cantrell Wah
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion
Gibson Les Paul Pure Nickel Strings 9-42
Dunlop Electrics Strings 10-46

Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:36 pm

FZTNT wrote:
It's a cool color scheme. I wish they could blend the blue and green the same way as the green and yellow are blended. The stark line is distracting. But, if that's what you are looking for, great. Just my thoughts. Can they put a matching veneer on the headstock. I have a Legacy with that and it looks awesome.

Tom

This is just a rendering. They will make the fade transition smoothly, similar to how an ocean floor drops off intot the deep.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:51 pm
Profile WWW

Kenny821 wrote:
I love the "quilted" finish on the body and the colors are awesome, it would be cool to see the same pattern and color scheme on the headstock as the body although it could be a bitch to paint... nice looking machine, I gotta give you that \m/

Thank you Kenny. We discussed the quilted neck veneer, a simple case of "the juice isn't worth the squeeze". The super flamy neck will show just fine. I also agree with you on repeating the cross fade on the headstock- I respect them for knowing what they can do masterfully and what would be risky. I'll be very pleased with the trans-turquoise headstock.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:38 pm
Profile WWW

You know that is going to show up on some fancy guitar magazine don't you. :evilgrin:

All seriousness aside, she's real looker and sure shows what the boys behind the curtain in Fullerton can do, can't wait to see the finished product.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:52 pm

very cool looking fade. these dohenys (dohenies?) are works of art in and of themselves. definitely borrowing from PRS' build philosophy

http://thekickups.bandcamp.com

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:36 am
Profile WWW

Looking forward to seeing some real pictures in the future Patrick. Should be stunning, and like Sam wouldn't be surprised to see it in one of those fancy magazines!

Cheers, Dan

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:43 am

I'm not big on quilt tops mostly because they usually ditch the pickguards and control plates, etc which give so much character to the design and in the case of some body shapes, the pickguard really helps bring it all together. Jazzmasters look really weird with no pickguard. The body shape takes on an odd melted Gumby look without the contrast of the lines of the pickguard. Same goes for Jaguars. Fender put out a few Jazzmasters like this, both US and JPN made models and they were very unpopular with the Jazzmaster fanbase and didn't last long.

All that being said, I really like the few Doheny Deluxes that they've shown. I don't know what it is that is different.. maybe the DFV instead of stop bars and TOMs? Maybe it's because they don't have silly carvetops with Gibson hardware?
Yours should be very interesting and unique. Can't wait to see it.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:02 am

I was always hoping that G&L would make a "Jaguar" type guitar because I primarily play Surf music, but when I saw that the Doheny wasn't a short scale like the Jag, it turned me off. Also, I think the guitar looks like there is too much space between the DFV and the butt area. I can see were it makes sense to have all that area on a Jag because the vibrato type sits much farther back, but I think G&L would be better off to shorten that space.

G&L, if you are listening... a short scale Doheny with a shorter body please! *LOL*

Anyway, I do love the looks of this beast and can't wait to see it.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:03 pm
Profile WWW

Jaguars and Jazzmasters are my "thing" and don't really need any changes IMO- even the stock bridge works well for me! So I'm fine with G&L giving us a prettier, more ergonomic way to get ASAT tones with the Doheny, and leaving the traditional Fender stuff to Fender :)

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:08 pm

Looks awesome Jag! The deluxe model without the pickguard looks so good, and that paint job on the quilted top looks great!

Do you know if they would be willing to move the pickup selector switch? That is the one thing I don't like about the Doheny. I would much prefer that it was out of the way, down by the knobs...

I'm still waiting for the Doheny pickups to show up in the G&L store. I'd like to try them in one of my Legacys...

Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:29 pm

cho wrote:
Do you know if they would be willing to move the pickup selector switch? That is the one thing I don't like about the Doheny. I would much prefer that it was out of the way, down by the knobs...

We've seen them do some one-off stuff with other Custom Shop builds, just by looking at the Instagram stream. Heck, they've done one-off stuff for me before the Custom Shop even existed. It is certainly worth asking them when you place your order. Let me know when you get it started. I'd like to see it!

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

JagInTheBag wrote:
Here is what the Custom Shop has cooking for me...what do you think of the Doheny Beach Surf Guitar?

ImageDoheny Deluxe Custom Shop concept by Patrick Krook, on Flickr

This is a riff on a PRS finish I saw called, "Beach Cross Fade". It will also have a flame neck and black block inlays. I am excited to see in in person!

Perhaps they will post pictures on their social media as the build progresses.

~JagInTheBag

Sweet, the body color finish looks similar to this one shown at Winter NAMM:

Are you having it done in the default Urethane finish or the optional Nitro finish?
And let me know the Custom Shop finish name so that I can added it to the G&L Registry finishes list.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. :searching:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:46 pm
Profile WWW

Jag,

That is the Doheny H2O. Water and sunshine are what come to my mind. Hopefully sunshine is in store for northern Illinois today.

I want to see this when it is done,

y2kc

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:02 am

y2kc wrote:
Jag,

That is the Doheny H2O. Water and sunshine are what come to my mind. Hopefully sunshine is in store for northern Illinois today.

I want to see this when it is done,

y2kc

I'll invite you over once I have it! And yes, today has turned out to be a sunny day!

Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:31 pm
Profile WWW

Craig wrote:

Are you having it done in the default Urethane finish or the optional Nitro finish?
And let me know the Custom Shop finish name so that I can added it to the G&L Registry finishes list.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. :searching:

It is going to be a thin Urethane Finish, they felt it would be best finished in that versus Nitro. I will certainly let you know what they call it once they give it their own name. Here is the original inspiration for this project. I am hoping to inspire an "East Coast versus West Coast" friendly competition with this one. Notice that the direction of the fade is reversed?

Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:41 pm
Profile WWW

Well any G&L already wins for me, but the PRS finish does look cool. Are they going to match the direction of the flame to the fade like that too? That helps it really look like "waves."

Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:01 am

Danley wrote:
Well any G&L already wins for me, but the PRS finish does look cool. Are they going to match the direction of the flame to the fade like that too? That helps it really look like "waves."

That is a good question, we are doing a one piece quilted top, so, it is possible we can turn in on the angle. We shall see!

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:03 am
Profile WWW

That's gonna be one fine fun ax, I'm jealous already :mrgreen:

Here's a random throwback that comes to mind,

Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]