Mysteries of an ASAT HB

Sat May 05, 2018 5:10 pm

Hi everyone,

First time on this forum as a potential G&L owner.

Big thanks beforehand to anybody who can give me a hand on this one.

So, I'm in the middle of trading an acoustic for a TRIBUTE SERIES ASAT HB. I've seen that apparently there are white and black ones. This is for a black one.

What do I know? I've done a bit of research (on this forum and diving into the hidden realms of the web), and this is one of three models which were manufactured in China. Specifically, this one was discontinued quite quickly. All references to this model say it should have a coil split push/pull tone know. Just bear this in mind for a sec.

So, I've been sent pics (I'll post them at the end of the text).

Here's what I'd like to know.

- All descriptions say pickups should be overwound alnico V. If so, would these be Fullerton U.S.A or eastern outsourced? The pickups in the pics say G&B. From what I know, this is a Korean company. Are these THE stock ones? Kind of strange to send from Korea to China but hey...

- If someone could confirm these ARE actually the stock ones, being overwound as they should be if these are the stock, are they too muddy? I was looking for a clear sound, not something to go high gain nuts on.

- I've found ended listings on reverb to this model. Check out the serial number design behind the headstocks.

https://reverb.com/item/1818083-g-l-tri ... rose-black
https://reverb.com/item/2109904-g-l-asa ... rose-white
https://reverb.com/item/898335-g-l-trib ... floyd-rose
https://reverb.com/item/5158762-g-l-asa ... se-tremolo

All round, right? Check mine. Straight line. What gives? Unless my pic isn't behind the headstock? Hard to believe this guitar would ever be faked. Such a limited run, low demand... makes no sense.

- The owner says the tone knob isn't split coil. Can you make out from the pics if the cabling is split coil? Could the tone knob be jammed? Hard to believe someone would swap knobs on a split coil wiring for a normal one. If that was the situation and it's just the case of getting the right knob back on, I could deal with that.

- It seems this was selling for $600 dollars back then. Modern G&Ls that are fully indonesian (nothing American on them) go for 300-350.
Any ideas on the price justification? Maybe the Floyd? But even at that price, it must be licensed, right?

- Any general comment on the guitar. By the description it seems to have pickups to go into shredding land. The neck radius (13) points this way. It kinda feels like a superstrat on a tele body and less frets. Tbh, I used to have a Vintage Modified Thinline 72. I stupidly traded that one and now I miss it. I've got to lay down some tracks based on some rough work I did with that one, and can't get anywhere near the sound. I was looking for something similar and thought this might work. Afterall, the pickups on the Thinline were humbuckers. Supposed to be Wide Ranged but it's general knowledge they aren't. But they might be low output. No idea.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but really want to clear this all up before I green light this one.

Cheers!
Pochete

Re: Mysteries of an ASAT HB

Sat May 05, 2018 6:58 pm

Pochete wrote:Hi everyone,

First time on this forum as a potential G&L owner.

Big thanks beforehand to anybody who can give me a hand on this one.

So, I'm in the middle of trading an acoustic for a TRIBUTE SERIES ASAT HB. I've seen that apparently there are white and black ones. This is for a black one.

What do I know? I've done a bit of research (on this forum and diving into the hidden realms of the web), and this is one of three models which were manufactured in China. Specifically, this one was discontinued quite quickly. All references to this model say it should have a coil split push/pull tone know. Just bear this in mind for a sec.

So, I've been sent pics (I'll post them at the end of the text).

Here's what I'd like to know.

- All descriptions say pickups should be overwound alnico V. If so, would these be Fullerton U.S.A or eastern outsourced? The pickups in the pics say G&B. From what I know, this is a Korean company. Are these THE stock ones? Kind of strange to send from Korea to China but hey...

- If someone could confirm these ARE actually the stock ones, being overwound as they should be if these are the stock, are they too muddy? I was looking for a clear sound, not something to go high gain nuts on.

- I've found ended listings on reverb to this model. Check out the serial number design behind the headstocks.

https://reverb.com/item/1818083-g-l-tri ... rose-black
https://reverb.com/item/2109904-g-l-asa ... rose-white
https://reverb.com/item/898335-g-l-trib ... floyd-rose
https://reverb.com/item/5158762-g-l-asa ... se-tremolo

All round, right? Check mine. Straight line. What gives? Unless my pic isn't behind the headstock? Hard to believe this guitar would ever be faked. Such a limited run, low demand... makes no sense.

- The owner says the tone knob isn't split coil. Can you make out from the pics if the cabling is split coil? Could the tone knob be jammed? Hard to believe someone would swap knobs on a split coil wiring for a normal one. If that was the situation and it's just the case of getting the right knob back on, I could deal with that.

- It seems this was selling for $600 dollars back then. Modern G&Ls that are fully indonesian (nothing American on them) go for 300-350.
Any ideas on the price justification? Maybe the Floyd? But even at that price, it must be licensed, right?

- Any general comment on the guitar. By the description it seems to have pickups to go into shredding land. The neck radius (13) points this way. It kinda feels like a superstrat on a tele body and less frets. Tbh, I used to have a Vintage Modified Thinline 72. I stupidly traded that one and now I miss it. I've got to lay down some tracks based on some rough work I did with that one, and can't get anywhere near the sound. I was looking for something similar and thought this might work. Afterall, the pickups on the Thinline were humbuckers. Supposed to be Wide Ranged but it's general knowledge they aren't. But they might be low output. No idea.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but really want to clear this all up before I green light this one.

Cheers!
Pochete

Yes, this is a legit Tribute model. The Tribute ASAT HB model was built in 2010-2011 in China. See the Internet Archives (5/17/2011): Tribute ASAT HB.
Also, see this post: G&L Tributes made in China?.
For serial number info, see: Re: Serial number significance.

The pickups were built to G&L's specifications. Here's the wiring diagram we have in our Gallery: Album: 2010 G&L Tribute ASAT HB Wiring Diagram.
Also, see: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

I have sent your post to one of my contacts at G&L to get details on this guitar, specifically the serial number layout and whether or not the pickups are stock.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Craig on Sun May 06, 2018 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated post: sent it to a contact at G&L for further details.

Mon May 07, 2018 6:51 am

I heard back from Dave McLaren:

Hi Craig,

At the moment I don’t remember much except the factory was called Leader, pickups were overeas made, and Floyd was a good licensed one.

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

My WAG on the serial number layout: is that the Leader factory used the wrong waterslide decal for this G&L Tribute guitar. The model name decaling
on the front of the headstock is correct.

Hope this helps some.

Mon May 07, 2018 8:31 am

Hi Craig,

Thanks for both your replies and for asking for details at G&L. That was very kind; much appreciated.

The wiring diagram will come in handy as soon as I get the guitar.
The current owner has confirmed it doesn't have a push/pull knob. That's what led me to believe the pickups might not be stock.
But being G&B, I'm inclined to believe they are. However, why anybody would get rid of the original push/pull pot is a mystery to me. Maybe it needed a repair and they went for a traditional tone pot. Pity as it would be much more versatile if they had left it stock. I will, obviously rewire it.
Easier to get the cleaner tones.

And Re decal. You're probably right. As I already mentioned, chance of this being faked are next to none.

Thanks again and if any other user has more insight towards how this guitar sounds or plays, I'd love to hear it.

Bye for now.