Stone Tone Rock Block Tremelo Upgrade for G&L DFV

Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:41 pm

Folks,

Does anyone have any experience with these stone tremolo replacement blocks?

https://www.stonetoneproducts.com/colle ... oducts/g-l

I have two G&L Legacy guitars (1995 & 2014) and I'm looking for upgrade options. Since Callahan is no longer making steel upgrade blocks, I've been researching all my options and I was kind of startled when I stumbled across this one.

Here is Andy Fuchs talking about what the block did to his G&L Legacy:
https://youtu.be/JXNQyulIfYQ

Thanks,

--Stefan

Re: Stone Tone Rock Block Tremelo Upgrade for G&L DFV

Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:48 pm

Whoa...that's cool !
We used black pearl granite everywhere when we built a house,
...tough and dense stuff. It has a nice 'ting' to it's tap tone.

Nice to see someone is thinking outside the box....I might have to try one.
Thanks for the heads up.

:thumbup:

Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:16 pm

I just ordered a rock block and I'll give it a try. I'll post my thoughts/opinions to this thread after I test it out.

After some thinking and tinkering, I may put this block in my 1995 Legacy, instead of my 2014 model after all. My '95 appears to have a zinc block, whereas my '14 model appears to have a brass block...hence the '95 will probably benefit more.

The only thing which gives me pause is the fact that I've never modded anything on my '95 model...it's pristine and totally factory spec. Hence, I do have some reticence to mucking about with this guitar BUT I can always put the old trem block back and restore it easily enough.

Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:02 am

I'll really be looking forward to your impressions.
I'm real close to pulling the trigger.

The brass blocks are zingy-er; brighter, a little quicker attack and better sustain in my experience.
The freq response graphs (waterfall plots would be better) on the stone tone site suggest otherwise, so it'll be good to hear from you first hand.

I'm also on the fence to changing out a zinc to brass on an old G&L,as you say... it is totally reversible.

Elwood

Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:59 am

I've been kicking myself for not picking up the DFS upgrade a few years back. I might jump on this if there are good reports here.

Mon May 14, 2018 12:47 am

Up !
@Pangloss, did you try the stone block ?!

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:19 am

Update: I've never received my trem block.

Despite multiple e-mails claiming it would ship soon, the product never seems to materialize. I was originally told on April 6th that I could expect delivery in 2-3 weeks. Alas, no joy.

I'm not sure what to make of this situation because the company's web page seems to show lots of recent activity of artists receiving their trem blocks.

If anything changes, I'll update this thread.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:55 pm

Too bad ! Thanks for your answer...

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:15 pm

UPDATE: I still have not received my tremolo block, nor has my money been refunded. I've spoken to the guy behind this company multiple times and heard myriad stories and promises of shipment and/or refund but nothing has ever materialized.

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:21 pm

Can't you dispute the charge with your credit card company?

Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:17 am

That sucks.

I noticed the price for one on his web page has gone up....hope he gets his
production and accounts in shape. I still like the idea of a dark granite block :think:

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:09 am

Well, we are coming up onto a year and I guess I'll have to write this one off.

The last I'd heard from Rob (the proprietor) was in January, 2019. At the time he swore the block had been built and would be shipped soon. Obviously no block has arrived and no responses have been received to my last few emails.

I actually talked to Rob on the phone several times. Many promises were made, but one of them kept.

Caveat emptor folks.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:53 pm

Geez. I was actually thinking of maybe buying one for one of my two Legacy models. Guess I won't bother dealing with the guy now. Thanks for the heads up!

Wed May 22, 2019 5:30 pm

Much to my amazement, my Stone Tone tremolo block just showed up! I ordered in on April 8th, 2018 and it arrived May 21st, 2019.

It looks cool but I won't be able to instal it immediately. I'm heading out to Sweetwater tomorrow to take a Mojotone amp building class and won't be back for a few days. Maybe I'll get to it next week.

Nonetheless, I'll report back when I know more.

--Stefan

Wed May 22, 2019 7:31 pm

Cool news Stefan,
I'm still eager to try one, thanks for keeping the thread going :)

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:55 am

Okay, I have the Stone Tone block in my 1995 G&L Legacy and I'm very happy with it. The block did change the tone of the instrument slightly however it added a bunch of clarity, sustain and definition to the notes & chords. The change in tone is really a slight reduction in warmth...but that can be compensated for easily by rolling the treble back, or adjusting the amp. The instrument feels more vibrant in my hands....I can sense the entire guitar ringing out in a way I couldn't before.

If you watch Andy Fuchs' video, I think his analysis of the product is pretty spot on.: https://www.stonetoneproducts.com/pages/andy-fuchs Apparently, Mr. Fuchs also had another order for a block in the same batch as mine...I think he must have multiple G&L Legacys.

The guy who runs Stone Tone is named Rob Desantis and his telephone number is 239-216-7631. Rob says he has three more Legacy blanks he can whip out now and he plans to go into a larger production run in August. Call him, if you are interested. Apparently, a bunch of G&L folks jumped on this as the word came out and Rob was a little unprepared for it.

As far as the actual deliveries go, if you read from the top of the thread, you'll see that delivery times are approximate, at best. Nonetheless, I'm pleased with my block, even though it took a long time to get it.