Tribute ASAT comparison

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:28 pm

Hey folks,

Have been looking at P90's again and the Tribute ASAT Carved Top P90 and Tribute ASAT Junior II keep coming to mind.

I prefer the Saddle Lock over Tone Pro bridge but pickups look the same. JR has hog body and P90 has flame maple-topped mahogany body

Here are Pick up comparisons from G&L.

G&L AP4285CR P-90 single coil (42 gauge-8.5K turns) Neck position of Tribute Ascari GT90, Neck position of Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top P-90
G&L AP42105CR P-90 single coil (42 gauge-10.5K turns) Bridge position of Tribute Ascari GT90, Bridge position of Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top P-90

G&L AP4285B P-90 single coil (42 gauge-8.5K turns) Neck position of Tribute Fallout, Neck position of Tribute ASAT Junior II, Neck pickup of ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90 (7/2015), Neck pickup of ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90 Semi-Hollow (7/2015), Neck pickup of Fallout (7/2015)

G&L AP42105B P-90 single coil (42 gauge-10.5K turns) Bridge position of Tribute ASAT Junior II

Who around here owns these or one of the two and what are your impressions?

Re: Tribute ASAT comparison

Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:12 pm

sam wrote:Hey folks,

Have been looking at P90's again and the Tribute ASAT Carved Top P90 and Tribute ASAT Junior II keep coming to mind.

I prefer the Saddle Lock over Tone Pro bridge but pickups look the same. JR has hog body and P90 has flame maple-topped mahogany body

Here are Pick up comparisons from G&L.

G&L AP4285CR P-90 single coil (42 gauge-8.5K turns) Neck position of Tribute Ascari GT90, Neck position of Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top P-90
G&L AP42105CR P-90 single coil (42 gauge-10.5K turns) Bridge position of Tribute Ascari GT90, Bridge position of Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top P-90

G&L AP4285B P-90 single coil (42 gauge-8.5K turns) Neck position of Tribute Fallout, Neck position of Tribute ASAT Junior II, Neck pickup of ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90 (7/2015), Neck pickup of ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90 Semi-Hollow (7/2015), Neck pickup of Fallout (7/2015)

G&L AP42105B P-90 single coil (42 gauge-10.5K turns) Bridge position of Tribute ASAT Junior II

Who around here owns these or one of the two and what are your impressions?

Sam, I want to point out that the MF/GC Tribute P-90 guitar specifications are not correct on their website.

Here are the correct specifications:

Note that the specs on the MF/GC website are not quite correct.
Here are the actual specs:

ASAT Deluxe ‘Carved Top’ P-90 (Musician's Friend/Guitar Center calls it "G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top P-90 Electric Guitar Orange Cream")
Finish: Butterscotch Blonde, rosewood fingerboard
Body wood: Alder with top binding
Neck wood: Hard Rock Maple with tinted gloss finish
Neck dimensions: 1 5⁄8” width at nut, 12” radius
Neck shape: Modern Slim C
Pickups:
· Neck: G&L AP4285CR P-90 single coil with creme cover
· Bridge: G&L AP42105CR P-90 single coil with creme cover
Controls: 3-way toggle pickup selector, volume, tone (with push/pull for tone expansion*)
(*) What this switch is doing is placing a .0022uf capacitor across the pickups,
which lowers the resonant frequency of the pickups by approximately 2KHz.
Think of the “Wah Pedal pulled back ½ way” sound. Or the “Woman” tone
if the woman wasn’t tipping the scales at 200 pounds.
Bridge: G&L Saddle-Lock™

Reference post: 2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models.
Note: The description of the tone expansion came directly from Paul Gagon, who designed the pickups and circuit for this guitar.

I have one which I got it from a SDOTD back in 2016 and I like the combination of the pickups with the added tone expansion and the Saddle-Lock bridge.
I also have the 2012 ASAT Junior II Custom Creations Korina model and I like the Tribute ASAT Deluxe ‘Carved Top’ P-90 better. I think the Saddle-Lock vs
the Tone Pros bridge has better sustain.

I highly recommend the Tribute ASAT Deluxe ‘Carved Top’ P-90.

Just my $0.02.

Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Thank you sir! :thumbup:

That appears to be the only P90 version with Saddle Lock, I looked at the Korina models but they have Tone Pro bridge as you said.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:02 am

Never played the Carved Top, but I have a Tribute Jr. P-90 and I really like it. Easy to play and versatile sound if you like P-90s. The fit and finish on mine was excellent, though it did come with a buzz at the first fret which I had a luthier repair. I got a great deal on it so even after having to have it worked on it was well priced.