Rare, unusual G&L

Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:50 pm

I just got this guitar and I thought people on this forum may be interested. It's an ASAT, looks to be from 1994, and came with a factory piezo which has a separate output. It's kind of a light metallic flake blue, the flake is very subtle though. It's a beautiful colour that my camera doesn't do justice to!

Right now, the piezo isn't working as one of the battery leads came loose. While I'm at it, I may replace the pots. The guitar sounds very dark and the sweep (particularly of the volume) is very drastic. The third knob is a blend control. I am unsure whether this blends acoustic into electric signal when using the electric output, or whether it works only when using both outputs. I'd also like to shield this guitar, it's not noisy but I had a well-shielded Tele before and thought it made a big difference.

Overall I really like this guitar though, the build quality is great and it sounds good acoustically.

Re: Rare, unusual G&L

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:29 pm

What leads you to believe that it was factory built with the piezo system? I am not aware of any special builds in this configuration in 1994.
It may have been an employee built guitar. The body color is Lake Placid Blue (Metallic) and is a standard color,
see this page from the Oct. 1, 1994 Dealer Price List: 10-1-94 G&L Price List Page 4.

Please do add your ASAT Classic to our G&L Registry.