G&L Custom Shop L-2000 body in Dragonskin Blue

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Recently posted on G&L Custom Shop facebook page:

We're developing a new finish for Custom Shop and so far the working name for it is Dragonskin Blue. The sales department
got one look at this and next thing we know this Custom Shop L-2000 is already sold to Killerburst Guitars in Bethany, Connecticut.
That was fast! Stay tuned for more images as this beautiful L-2000 comes together.

Re: Custom Shop L-2000 body in Dragonskin Blue

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:32 pm

I dig it! Looking forward to more pics of this finish on other models!

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:48 pm

To each their own, beauty eye beholder etc but for me it doesn’t get much uglier than this.

:sick:

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:20 am

This Custom Shop L-2000 neck has one of the most unique Caribbean Rosewood fingerboards I've seen in a while.
After the fingerboard is properly oiled, this beauty will definitely pop. Once it's bolted to the Dragonskin Blue body and completed,
it will be delivered to G&L Custom Shop dealer Killerburst Guitars in Bethany, Connecticut.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:33 am

Custom Shop L-2000 in Dragonskin Blue body and neck
Here's a closer look at this Custom Shop L-2000 in Dragonskin Blue along with the neck we will be using to complete this unique bass.
Killerburst Guitars, in Bethany Connecticut, will be taking delivery of it soon. Stay tuned for more.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:54 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:To each their own, beauty eye beholder etc but for me it doesn’t get much uglier than this.

:sick:

Piggy backing on this - and this is just my bias, but colors that are naturally found in wood (say, black, brown, red, yellow - even orange) "work" in transparent/translucent finishes - especially where figuring in the wood is concerned. Bursts, burns, and binding can all work together to highlight the natural beauty of the wood.

What doesn't work *for me* is staining natural wood with a non-wood-toned color that fades into, or almost fades into a natural wood tone, as this Dragonskin Blue fnished does here. Don't get me wrong, the blue is nice - it just looks (to me) to not "go" with (i.e. fade into) a yellow center. As nice as the color is, and as sweet as that quilting looks, I'd still say, "meh" to this finish.

Speaking of the quilting: It looks fantastic, but (IMO) that kind of quilting looks best when it isn't obscured by a stain that covers rather than brings out the natural color of the wood.

That's all personal bias though. Whoever chose the wood, and stained the guitar - did a great job on both, and I'm sure it'll look even sweeter once the hardware is there to set it off.

edited for clarity.

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Getting ready to put the finishing touches on this awesome G&L Custom Shop L-2000 in Dragonskin Blue. Next, come neck fitting and final setup.
Killerburst Guitars in Bethany, Connecticut will take delivery of this beast. stay tuned for more.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:19 am

I usually really dislike finishes like this and fancy wood tops on "Fender style" instruments, but this thing looks FANTASTIC.
This would look awesome on a Doheny or a Fallout.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:43 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:I usually really dislike finishes like this and fancy wood tops on "Fender style" instruments, but this thing looks FANTASTIC.

Completely agree. I'm surprised how much I like it. That type of top would look totally Prince-tastic with some kind of purple burst.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:53 am

Just about done with this awesome Custom Shop L-2000 in Dragonskin Blue headed for delivery to
G&L Custom Shop dealer Killerburst Guitars in Bethany, Connecticut.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:32 am

While I still stand by my opinion about colors... this shows (me especially) how an exceptional combination can turn something I would have described as not so great, to something I'd praise. It looks great.