Neck Profiles !?

Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:55 am

Ok played a G&L legacy the other day and it was the best playing guitar i have ever played !!! I wanna find one or order one before i go into the studio on Aug 7th ( crunch time i know )

The neck was much like the Fender 52 RI neck just better !! The frets were awesome and huge .. the guitar however wasnt my cup o tea having EMGs singles and being TB with a TS pickguard .......... never been a fan of the TB, actually i think its ugly with the maple neck to ( whick i do like, just not on the guitar ) http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/i ... cation=733 scroll down 3/4 of the way ..........

So what neck profile is that ?!?!? The vintage C 12" ??

Cause there is another Legacy one closer to me that is BEAUTIFUL in Honey Burst and i played it and it didnt do it for me at all .........

So im in a crunch, No Fenders do it for me, they lack the feel and fit/finish ........ I NEED a Legacy !! Ive got next to none here to chose from but im sure online i can find more, my prob with that is i dont know what im looking for (technically) in the specs for the neck profile. And id MUCH rather play it and see it for sure cause the one here in Greensboro looks sweet in the pics but hadnt been maintained and they didnt know the year ( looked older 3 bolt ) blocked trem job was botched and needed a setup BAD http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/i ... 0&dir=desc

Anyway which neck am i looking for to duplicate the "ONE" that i played ???? which is still for sale but.......

Oh and i played an ASAT Classic with a birdseye neck and that thing was heavy so im guessing alder , and it was magnificant, wasnt the exact neck but it was good .... however it was priced 1499 used !!!! and a dude bought it right after i sat it down ( wonder if knows about the site ??)

Thanks for your help guys i hate to sound stupid but i check the G&L site and i cant tell which neck it was.... people at guitar center are CLUELESS .................. :shocked028:

Re: Neck Profiles !?

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:52 am

A lot depends on when that guitar was made. The new neck profiles are a relatively recent development. Prior to that, the two most popular were a #1 (12" radius/1-5/8" nut width) and a #2 (7.5" radius/1-5/8" nut width). I don't believe there was a standard on neck thickness because #1's could be all over the map - from a chunky '52 U shape to a shredder thin C shape. You could order the same neck and they could be that different. It depended on who did the sanding.

As for weight, wood selection is no guarantee of weight. That's not limited to G&L, BTW. I've owned alder Legacy's and S-500's that ranged from just over 7 lbs. to 9 lbs. Same with ash. I played a semi-hollow Legacy that came in around 9 lbs, so swamp ash is no guarantee that you'll get a light weight guitar.

If you want something specific concerning neck profile and body weight, I'd search till I found something on the rack that tripped your trigger. If that particular guitar at the Durham store feels right, buy it. You can change the pickups to suit your ears and change the pickguard to suit your eyes.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:59 am

Ches wrote:You can change the pickups to suit your ears and change the pickguard to suit your eyes.

Well put.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:50 pm

yes you are right about if it feels right just get it ....

I was telling my wife all the way home "man i dont care if its pink, if it playes good" !!!

Not worried at all with the weight but that is cool to know !!!!! PuPs can be changed and so can the guard I love the TS guard just not on the 3tone SB .... but really i dont stare at it when I play, so i could live ]

Thats Crazy info about the necks though hmmmmmmm makes it HARDER For me to really score one online ..........

Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:14 am

I'm a industrial design student,
and although some people will be satisfied by the objects "functional" capabilities,
most people (conscious or not) are conditioned to look for objects which are aesthetically pleasing as well.
So i'm gonna say that nomatter how much a parker fly or a rikenbacker or whatever "feels" right i will not touch it.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:47 am

The Tribute Legacy (indo version) has a 9" radius and 1 5/8 nut width and is like playing a stick of butter, imho.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:00 am

dareaper8 wrote:I'm a industrial design student,
and although some people will be satisfied by the objects "functional" capabilities,
most people (conscious or not) are conditioned to look for objects which are aesthetically pleasing as well.
So i'm gonna say that nomatter how much a parker fly or a rikenbacker or whatever "feels" right i will not touch it.

HAHA yeah ........ If im spending the money and gotta see it in pictures and video ........... im getting something that looks good to me ..........

Im being paitent.... we will see what pops up !!