Introducing the new CLF Research L-2000

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:10 pm

The new CLF Research L-2000

In the late 1970s, Clarence Leo Fender was looking forward to launching his new G&L brand featuring his latest innovations including
Magnetic Field Design pickups and the Saddle Lock bridge. Leo developed these technologies at his CLF Research company, and
production of his new G&L instruments took place in the CLF Research factory on Fender Avenue in Fullerton, California,
where G&L production continues today.

The new CLF Research L-2000 is a fully modern “2k” that pays homage to its roots with classic details including the early CLF/G&L headstock
and neck profile, beautifully reproduced CLF knobs and '81 control plate, and color-coded mini-toggle switch tips.

Period-perfect thin urethane finishes are:

• Candy Apple Red or Jet Black over Basswood
• Natural Ash
• faded 3-Tone Sunburst over Okoume

About CLF Research

CLF Research is the company Leo founded in 1966, where he continued to support CBS/Fender until 1970, later developed and
manufactured Music Man instruments and ultimately his G&L instruments. Want to learn more?

G&L's webpage for CLF Research L-2000

Re: Introducing the new CLF Research L-2000

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:24 pm

Beautiful bass guitars!! The CAR one almost makes me want to start playing bass.

Tom

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Gorgeous instruments, (almost) as good as the originals! Assume still a 6-bolt attachment instead of the 3-bolt with adjustment. Oh well ... You can't have it all. I still love the look!

Kudos!

:happy0065: :happy0065: :happy0065:

- Jos

P.S. And what a backdrop for that picture!! Well chosen, folks!

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi,

Quick question: Maple fretboard only, or are rosewood/ebony/???? available?

edg

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:37 pm

guitar_ed wrote:Hi,

Quick question: Maple fretboard only, or are rosewood/ebony/???? available?

edg

According to the U.S. Dealer Price List dated January 25, 2018, it is Maple fretboard only:

NEW! CLF Research L-2000™
L2000-CLF-JTB
Jet Black thin urethane finish with maple fingerboard, basswood body
L2000-CLF-CAR
Candy Apple Red thin urethane finish with maple fingerboard, basswood body
L2000-CLF-3TS
Faded 3-tone Sunburst thin urethane finish with maple fingerboard, okoume body
L2000-CLF-NAT
Natural Gloss thin urethane finish with maple fingerboard, swamp ash body
Pickups: Two “CLF Research” Magnetic Field Design humbuckers
Controls: G&L Tri-Tone active/passive electronics, 3-way mini-toggle pickup selector, series/parallel mini-toggle,
preamp control mini-toggle (off/on/on with high frequency EQ boost), volume, treble, bass
Control Plate: Chrome
Neck wood: Maple with vintage tint gloss finish
Neck profile: 1 5/8” Heritage C (.790” at 1st fret .890” at 12th fret)
Radius: 9.5”
No Options Available

We have the complete Specifications and Options in the Knowledgebase, see: January 25, 2018-present G&L U.S. Specifications & Options.

yowhatsshakin wrote:Gorgeous instruments, (almost) as good as the originals! Assume still a 6-bolt attachment instead of the 3-bolt with adjustment. Oh well ... You can't have it all. I still love the look!

Kudos!

:happy0065: :happy0065: :happy0065:

- Jos

P.S. And what a backdrop for that picture!! Well chosen, folks!

Yes, it does have the 6-bolt neck attachment.

Hope this helps.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:12 am

Any hint about the price?

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:36 am

matbard wrote:Any hint about the price?

You will need to contact a G&L Dealer about pricing.
Retail Prices: In keeping with G&L's own policy regarding publication of retail prices, please do NOT post
actual sale prices of new G&L/BBE instruments and products on this site. Example 1: "I found a new ASAT
for $699 - is this a good price?" Example 2: "How much did the '99 GbL_LE actually sell for?" Such posts will
be deleted or modified by the Admin. Posting prices on used instruments, is fine, just make it clear that
you are listing the price for a used instrument. If your post is not clear then the Admin will edit out the price.

[Reference post: GbL History & G&LDP/G&L Knowledgebase/Marketplace Guidelines ]

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:26 pm

On the website they list the fingerboard being either maple or rosewood:

"NECK WOOD: Hard Rock Maple with Rosewood or Maple fingerboard"

But on the Instagram profile G&L states that is maple only.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:50 pm

matbard wrote:On the website they list the fingerboard being either maple or rosewood:

Yes, Maple fretboard only. G&L is still updating their new website and not all corrections have been done yet. I have been providing feedback about changes that are needed.
For the correct specification and options, see: Current G&L Specifications and Options.

Hope this helps.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:28 pm

Craig wrote:
matbard wrote:On the website they list the fingerboard being either maple or rosewood:

Yes, Maple fretboard only. G&L is still updating their new website and not all corrections have been done yet. I have been providing feedback about changes that are needed.
For the correct specification and options, see: Current G&L Specifications and Options.

Hope this helps.

G&L has now corrected their website spec page for the CLF Research L-2000.

Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:13 am

I have a 2019 in Black/Maple. The build sheet indicates that the body wood is Alder even though all of the specs I find on line state that the solid colors are Basswood. I don't think there's much difference other than a little weight. Mine is right at 9lbs. Anyone else have Alder on their build sheet?

Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:47 am

Relsom wrote:I have a 2019 in Black/Maple. The build sheet indicates that the body wood is Alder even though all of the specs I find on line state that the solid colors are Basswood. I don't think there's much difference other than a little weight. Mine is right at 9lbs. Anyone else have Alder on their build sheet?

Body wood should be listed as Basswood. I recommend you contact the selling dealer and ask them to get you a corrected Specification sheet. I will ask a contact at the factory to check to see if the Spec sheet template needs to be updated.