Two Commemoratives On Reverb

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:51 pm

This is not an ad for these guitars but go to that site and search for them and come back and post your thoughts on the expensive one with the Quilted Maple top.

Now, this guitar is listed as a Commemorative, has all the gold hardware, no pick guard. has the right headstock and a beautiful Quilted Maple top. It also has a neck plate stamped #1000 of 1000. We know there was not that many made. This guitar was built by or for former G&L production manager Gene Engelhart. I have never seen this guitar mentioned in all the posts and story's about the Commemorative guitar. Have you?

So, my question is: Is this a true Commemorative? Or just an employee guitar made to resemble one by someone that had access to that numbered neck plate. And, where are the rest of those neck plates because they did produce the full 1000 plates in anticipation of building that many guitars. I would be interested in your thoughts and will give mine a bit later in the discussion.

It is a beautiful guitar...

Tom

EDIT: Sorry, this post should have been posted in the 1991 to Present sub forum. Craig, feel free to move it, just a slip of the ol' mouse.

Re: Two Commemoratives On Reverb

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:29 pm

FZTNT wrote:This is not an ad for these guitars but go to that site and search for them and come back and post your thoughts on the expensive one with the Quilted Maple top.

Now, this guitar is listed as a Commemorative, has all the gold hardware, no pick guard. has the right headstock and a beautiful Quilted Maple top. It also has a neck plate stamped #1000 of 1000. We know there was not that many made. This guitar was built by or for former G&L production manager Gene Engelhart. I have never seen this guitar mentioned in all the posts and story's about the Commemorative guitar. Have you?

So, my question is: Is this a true Commemorative? Or just an employee guitar made to resemble one by someone that had access to that numbered neck plate. And, where are the rest of those neck plates because they did produce the full 1000 plates in anticipation of building that many guitars. I would be interested in your thoughts and will give mine a bit later in the discussion.

It is a beautiful guitar...

Tom

EDIT: Sorry, this post should have been posted in the 1991 to Present sub forum. Craig, feel free to move it, just a slip of the ol' mouse.

I could not find the ad on Reverb. Can you post the photos of this guitar?
Also how did you determine that the serial number of this guitar is 350, even though it has
A 1000 of 1000 neck plate, when you added it to the G&L Registry?

Without seeing it, I’m guessing it is likely a guitar Gene built from some Commemorative left over parts.

Hope you can post some photos.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:41 pm

I just noticed that Jos updated the registry entry and it is listed with a DF Vibrato bridge and it is an ASAT Deluxe body. :roll:
It sounds like a parts guitar (by Gene) to me.
Jos, can you post pictures or the link to the Ad?

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:41 pm

Craig wrote:Jos, can you post pictures or the link to the Ad?

Here is the link to the Reverb auction for the G & L Leo Fender Commemorative 1901-1991 (link checked with urlvoid.com), S/N 1000 of 1000 from the estate of Gene Engelhart. They only recently posted pictures of the neck heel and neck pocket. The pocket clearly shows the back to be mahogany, without cover (no screw holes) for the spring cavity, and a very nice quilted maple top. All hardware is still gold, including the DFV and indeed this one does not have a gold pickguard. Another interesting picture recently added is the one showing the pickups have not been soldered to the harness on the control panel. So as an electric guitar, it is very quiet. :D

The other auction from the same estate is for Commemorative #229 of 1000. In both cases it is clear these instruments were assembled either at the end of the official run or later. According to the letter to the dealers, production would halt in May 1993, and the body stamps for #1000 are May 22, 1993 for the neck and May 27, 1993 for the body (if I read them right). One striking difference between these 2 guitars and any other Commemorative I have seen is the matching Cherryburst headstock on both of them, which to me is another indicator of them being more of the "employee guitar" variety.

Hope this helps,

- Jos
Last edited by Craig on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link to #229

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:26 am

I sent the links to Dave McLaren to get the history on them.

Stay tuned.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:09 am

Craig wrote:I sent the links to Dave McLaren to get the history on them.

Stay tuned.

Here's Dave's reply:
Hi Craig,

I can’t tell you anything about them, but I suggest if someone wants to know history, they should ask the seller.

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:49 am

Here are the Ad descriptions for each guitar:

#229:
Ryan Scott Guitars wrote:We have been elected to assist in the sale of the late Gene Engelhart (Former Production Manager) and long time 30 year G & L employee, Private collection.

Up first is this gorgeous example of the pristine work the guys did under the direction of Gene, and yes it still has the “Gold” strings from the day it was completed.

Letter from the factory will also be
Provided. Original hard case as well.

Super Rare only 500’made in the world, harder and harder to find.
Serious buyers can ask questions.

#1000:

Ryan Scott Guitars wrote:We have been elected to assist in the sale of the late Gene Engelhart (Former Production Manager) and long time 30 year G & L employee, Private collection.

Here is another gorgeous example of the pristine work that Gene and the rest of the team produced. It was built and then placed in the case.

COLLECTORS who know G & L Commemorative Editions will immediately notice NO PICK-GUARD, the tremolo, locking tuners and THAT PLATE. Number 1000!!!

The guitar is literally BRAND NEW, upon removing the control plate we found Gene never soldered in the pickups (LOL)!! The guitar has NEVER BEEN PLAYED!!

Fender sued G&L at around the #500 mark of builds, G&L ceased production.

Gene was able to procure the parts from that whole run including the #1000 neck plate. On the books #1000 never existed because of the lawsuit.
This is the ONLY one on the planet after #500 and it’s stamped with Genes Birthdate!

SUPER SUPER SUPER RARE!!!!

Letter from the factory will also be
Provided. Original hard case as well.

All sales are final, no returns
so please ask all
questions before buying.

One thing I want to point out is that there were only 350 Commemorative guitars officially built and serial numbering was 1-350.
And, there were 150 Commemortive basses officially built and serial numbering was 1-150.

In my opinion, both of these guitars were employee built and final assembled (except #1000 has, for some reason, not been wired up) by Gene Engelhart.
Therefore, I would not deem them offiical G&L Commemorative guitars as is implied by these Ads. So, buyer beware.

I knew Gene and had been to his garage workshop on several occasions. While I had not seen either of these two guitars, I have seen some other amazing ones
he had built. His workmanship was steller and I do not want to down play the quality of either of these guitars.

Just my $0.02.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:22 am

Thanks for filling in the holes Jos. I didn't get much interest in the post at first so I didn't put much detail into it. I mostly wanted to have folks go look at the guitar and post their thoughts as to if they thought at least the one was a legit Commemorative Guitar. I guess both you and Craig would tend to agree they are both very nice instruments but like me, they are just that, a cool re-mix of the actual thing.

BTW Craig, to answer your question, the registry would not let me add a serial number of 1000 so I just put 350 and put the 1000 in the other features section. I wanted to get it into the registry so people know what it really is.

I would still like to hear from some others about this.

Tom

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:38 am

FZTNT wrote:
BTW Craig, to answer your question, the registry would not let me add a serial number of 1000 so I just put 350 and put the 1000 in the other features section. I wanted to get it into the registry so people know what it really is.

Tom

Yep, it would only allow 3 digits. I changed it to allow 4 digits, now.
I also changed the registry entry serial number to 1000.

Thanks for letting me know.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:08 pm

Craig wrote:Yep, it would only allow 3 digits. I changed it to allow 4 digits, now.

Craig,

I can lookup the guitar by S/N but for one reason or another it does NOT show up amongst the Commemorative Guitars on the Rarebird page, whereas '350' did before. There might be still be a restriction that the S/N needs to be lower than 1000 (or even 350?) in the query populating that page.

Just so you know,

- Jos

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:51 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Craig wrote:Yep, it would only allow 3 digits. I changed it to allow 4 digits, now.

Craig,

I can lookup the guitar by S/N but for one reason or another it does NOT show up amongst the Commemorative Guitars on the Rarebird page, whereas '350' did before. There might be still be a restriction that the S/N needs to be lower than 1000 (or even 350?) in the query populating that page.

Just so you know,

- Jos

It does show but out of sequence. It is item 45 instead of 88.
I will look into this soon.

Thanks for the heads up.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:11 pm

Craig wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:

Craig,

Just so you know,

- Jos

It does show but out of sequence. It is item 45 instead of 88.
I will look into this soon.

Thanks for the heads up.

Fixed!

Commemorative Guitar.

Hope this helps.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:11 am

Thanks!

Another Commemorative decal'd instrument from Gene's Collect

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:51 pm

Another one of Gene's "Commemorative" decal'd instruments has been registered in the G&L Registry.
Here's the entry: G004531.

I have emailed the current owner asking to post photos here or send me the photos.

Anybody else know of other G&L instruments from Gene's collection? If you do, please post details and photos (if possible) on this thread.

Re: Another Commemorative decal'd instrument from Gene's Col

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:26 pm

Craig wrote:Another one of Gene's "Commemorative" decal'd instruments has been registered in the G&L Registry.
Here's the entry: G004531.

I have emailed the current owner asking to post photos here or send me the photos.

Anybody else know of other G&L instruments from Gene's collection? If you do, please post details and photos (if possible) on this thread.

Here are the photos of ASAT Deluxe (S/N G004531):

Here are some of my observations on this guitar:

This guitar is definitely a one-off that Gene built. While it has the neck and body decals of the Commemorative guitar, it is not
an official G&L Commemorative guitar.

I think the body is a solid quilted Maple body, which is very unusual. A quilted Maple body blank would usually be used for slicing off quilted Maple tops (1/4” thick).

The body is routed like an ASAT Deluxe; HB pickups and Saddle-Lock bridge. The official Commemorative body would be route like an ASAT Classic.
The Saddle-Lock bridge is an early version (first used on the F-100 guitar). It has the serial number on it and strings are through the body
to the string retainer block. BTW, this bridge can be strung thru the body or thru the bridge (with a later revision of the bridge, like is currently done).

The neck is also unusual being that it was made from a quilted Maple neck blank. My guess is that Gene built this guitar in 2001 or later.
I know that the current owner is very interested in getting other members comments on this guitar. I asked him to register on the G&L Forum so that he may participate
in the discussion here.
Last edited by Craig on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added clarification on bridge note.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:40 pm

It's beautiful. A unique combination. It's a creative, one of a kind guitar, and that's a good thing. Amazing that the body is solid quilted maple, and total weight is barely 7 lbs. I wish the Leo decal had been placed a little lower.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:10 am

I wonder what Gene's obsession with the Commemorative guitar was. I also wonder what other guitars are in his collection. I saw this in the Registry but didn't see it on the usual auction sites prior.

I also find it interesting that the neck is bi-cut. Hadn't they stopped that by the time this guitar was made? Also, what is the mini switch for? Splitting or phase? It is a beautiful guitar, but again, not a true Comm.

Tom

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:22 am

FZTNT wrote:I also find it interesting that the neck is bi-cut. Hadn't they stopped that by the time this guitar was made? Also, what is the mini switch for? Splitting or phase?

Tom,

The Bi-Cut was discontinued around 2006 when G&L built the Trinity for Tim Page. Half of these still have the Bi-Cut neck, the other half are the first with the non-compression truss rod and PLEK. Since this neck is from 2001, it should be Bi-Cut. It would be more noticeable for the faux Commemorative to have a 4-bolt neck attachment whereas all official Commemoratives have a 3-bolt neck attachment. That transition took place in 1997.

The mini-toggle is for coil-splitting the buckers.

A thing that struck me is the lettering of the S/N on the bridge which initially looked different to me than one would find on early G&L Locktight bridges, now called Saddle-Lock. But that might be lighting and camera angle. BTW, my F-100 Series I has the preceding S/N:
ImageImage
These bridges were used on very early F-100s, still with string through body. It is nice to see the same is happening on this Commemorative Deluxe, even though with a more modern ferrule block.

- Jos

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:47 am

Wow! That is a gorgeous guitar! Yes, its hard to believe that it has a solid maple body, but weighs <7 lbs. I bet it sounds great! I bet it is has a very snappy attack, but also good sustain....

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:33 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
FZTNT wrote:I also find it interesting that the neck is bi-cut. Hadn't they stopped that by the time this guitar was made? Also, what is the mini switch for? Splitting or phase?

Tom,

The Bi-Cut was discontinued around 2006 when G&L built the Trinity for Tim Page. Half of these still have the Bi-Cut neck, the other half are the first with the non-compression truss rod and PLEK. Since this neck is from 2001, it should be Bi-Cut. It would be more noticeable for the faux Commemorative to have a 4-bolt neck attachment whereas all official Commemoratives have a 3-bolt neck attachment. That transition took place in 1997.

The mini-toggle is for coil-splitting the buckers.

A thing that struck me is the lettering of the S/N on the bridge which initially looked different to me than one would find on early G&L Locktight bridges, now called Saddle-Lock. But that might be lighting and camera angle. BTW, my F-100 Series I has the preceding S/N:
ImageImage
These bridges were used on very early F-100s, still with string through body. It is nice to see the same is happening on this Commemorative Deluxe, even though with a more modern ferrule block.

- Jos

Thanks for the info Jos, I was unsure on when they stopped the bi-cut necks. Didn't think it was that late. I guess it just stuck out a lot. Probably due to the figuring in the wood makes the cut more obvious.

It is a nice looking instrument but a silly notion really.

Tom

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:35 pm

Hello All

Craig, thanks for posting. And thanks to everyone for all the input on this guitar. I feel blessed to be its current caretaker. In my opinion, it truly is an amazing guitar. To one of the commentors, it does sound great. As you surmised, it is very bright and snappy yet holds great sustain. Thanks for adding me to the community.

Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:13 am

Thanks for the photos and welcome. That's one beautiful guitar. How did you come to own this beauty? I have seen other guitars from Gene's estate but not this particular one.

Tom