Flying through space with our new Galaxy Black finish ...

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:29 pm

Posted on G&L's Facebook page:

Flying through space with our new Galaxy Black finish. Yes, it's like our prototypes from years ago. Stage lights will love this.

Click on video to play this short clip:
phpBB [video]

Re: Flying through space with our new Galaxy Black finish ..

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:02 pm

What are those four screws for?

Tom

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:22 pm

FZTNT wrote:What are those four screws for?

Tom

You are seeing four of the six neck screws as this is a bass.

Here is a photo from last NAMM showing them:

Hope this helps.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:58 pm

That's sort of what I figured. When did they stop using plates? I like the plates.

Tom

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:33 pm

FZTNT wrote:That's sort of what I figured. When did they stop using plates? I like the plates.

Tom

I searched over on Ken Baker's bassesbyleo.com G&L Basses forum for the answer:

Ken Baker wrote:G&L kinda-sorta started moving little by little to 6 bolt in the mid 90's. Or so. Depending on the model. Probably the first to go was the L-5500, which started out
that way and had a plate. Then the L-2000 made the switch from 3 bolt. The L-2500, JB-2, and all recent basses have always been 6 bolt. The ASAT and SB-2
were the last to make the move to 6 bolt just a few years ago when G&L changed over to CNC and redesigned the necks. Dealers and newbie players perceived
the Precision Tilt attachment to be inferior, so G&L discontinued it. They were headed that way anyhow.

Hope this helps.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:15 am

Craig wrote:Posted on G&L's Facebook page:

Flying through space with our new Galaxy Black finish. Yes, it's like our prototypes from years ago. Stage lights will love this.

phpBB [video]

Whee! Like my ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90!

Hard to photograph, though, without looking like it's covered with dust specks.... :)

--Al Evans

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:30 am

Such a cool finish!

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:11 pm

Al Evans wrote:
Craig wrote:Posted on G&L's Facebook page:

phpBB [video]

Whee! Like my ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90!

Hard to photograph, though, without looking like it's covered with dust specks.... :)

--Al Evans

When Dean and I went to NAMM, we stopped at the G&L Factory to visit with several of our friends there.
I dropped in to the Paint Dept and visited with Malcolm (who runs the dept and is a MASTER painter). He showed me the new finishes, including Galaxy Black.
He said they added some more color to the specks in the finish, so it is slightly different from your prototype ASAT Classic 90. I am definitely going have them build me
a guitar with this finish, likely next year.