Where to buy a G&L USA Legacy HB (now an HSS)

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:24 am

Hi folks.. I'm in the UK and am having massive difficulty finding a new G&L Legacy HSS in black. There's just nothing at all in the whole of Europe. :confused0007:

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/US ... /index.asp

Can anyone direct me to where I can get one please? I guess I will have to order it from the US and pay the import tax and postage etc but I have my heart really set on this guitar
and model..

Thank you..

/edit/ Sorry folks I mean USA Legacy HSS
Last edited by Shuko on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Where to buy a G&L Legacy HSS

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:31 am

Shuko wrote:Hi folks.. I'm in the UK and am having massive difficulty finding a new G&L Legacy HSS in black. There's just nothing at all in the whole of Europe. :confused0007:

Can anyone direct me to where I can get one please? I guess I will have to order it from the US and pay the import tax and postage etc but I have my heart really set on this guitar
and model..

Thank you..

See: G&L buyer's resources ....

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:43 am

Hi Craig,

Thank you..

Iv'e emailed 10 countries on that G&L International dealers list already with no success. Many of these companies are dead.

Wading through the USA dealers now.. :roll:

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:58 am

Shuko wrote:Hi Craig,

Iv'e emailed 10 countries on that G&L International dealers list already with no success.

I need a source in the US that will ship to the UK..

I suggest you look at the Premier Dealer list (most have a link to the dealer's website) to see if they ship internationally.

Also, check out this post: Some G&L instruments heading to International destinations.

Hope this helps.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:10 am

Whooooo they have 3 heading to Germany.. emailed them right away.

Thank you so much :banana:

Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:19 am

Shuko wrote:Whooooo they have 3 heading to Germany.. emailed them right away.

Thank you so much :banana:

Also, check out G&L's Facebook page as they post photos of recently completed instruments and where they are shipping to.
I also added this to the G&L buyer's resources ... post.

Perhaps some of our other international members will post about some of the G&L sources they have used or know of.

Best of luck on your search.

Also, since this is your first post here, please post one in the Introductions sub-forum and tell us about yourself and how you found out about G&L instruments.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:30 am

Yes I found the G&L Facebook page yesterday and also emailed them yesterday when I saw the images of guitars to be shipped. I did not get a response yet.
I assumed all those guitars were custom orders so it did not occur to me to actually contact the destination supplier in Germany. I have now done so.

I actually kind of like the difficulty in getting this instrument as it gives it such a unique and personal touch.

One supplier just got back to me an hour ago from the US and said they are built from scratch which is why you don't just find them lining the shelves
of stores anywhere.. unlike the estranged CBS cousin.. :fighting0030:

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:45 pm

Martin Music from Nashville Tennessee will ship to you and can get you what you want

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:46 pm

Martin Music has quite a few in stock too

Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:15 am

Thank you Fumble Fingers.. I see two on their site.. just bounced them an email.

Re: Where to buy a G&L Legacy HB

Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:10 pm

It's hard to believe that Europe which contains 50 different countries does not have a single G&L dealer/supplier/distributor. That's just crazy..

I have emailed maybe 12 from G&L's official list on their site and not got a single reply. Half are no longer even in business.

I'd hate to have to send a guitar all the way back to the states for a warranty or repair issue. The shipping and taxes back and forth would add up to the price
of the guitar itself..

I hope that after finally finding the guitar of my dreams.. it does not remain just that, a dream. :zzz:

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:11 am

Martin Music is for sure open , I always prefer to call over email but I'm in the same time zone

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:50 pm

The only German link on the G&L website http://www.glguitars.com/distributors/Germany.asp only supplies retailers and not individual buyers.

So I asked them if they could point me to any retailers in Germany. They refused to do so. Makes me wonder if they are interested in selling these things at all.

I managed to find 3 G&L suppliers in Germany and emailed them all. Not one replied.

On a more positive note a nice fellow from AB Music Studio in California contacted me to say they can order me a USA Legacy HSS (which replaced the discontinued Legacy HD)
and it will be built to my spec and is positive it can be delivered to the UK [actual price removed].

Total customs value (CIF): [actual price removed]
This is the amount that customs values your import at
- Duty: £42.36
- VAT: £237.42
Total import duty & taxes due: £279.78
This is the amount that needs to be paid to customs
- Product, shipping & insurance: [actual price removed]

Total landed cost: [actual price removed]

I think I can live with that..

I seem some light at the end of the tunnel..
Last edited by Craig on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin removed actual price listing as they are not allowed to be posted.

Re: Where to buy a G&L USA Legacy HD (now an HSS)

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:32 pm

BINGO!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

http://axepalace.com/guitars/g-l/build- ... n-g-l.html

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:47 am

Update:

This is turning out to be more difficult than I imagined. After conversations with numerous dealers offering me models I have no interest in.. or trying to rush me into
"we've got one left grab it now' (with wrong components) pressure sale tactics I'm nowhere further to getting a G&L than I was a month ago.

One has to bear in mind that money these custom guitars cost.. the up to 6 to 12 weeks it takes to build them.. then the hefty import tax, and expensive

shipping costs, international bank transfer fees, plus financial losses during currency exchange, plus any middlemen/dealer cut, and bare in mind if this guitar ever

has to be sent back across the earth nearly 6,000 miles for a warranty repair or fault again it will all at my expense, this is not a guitar that 'grab it now' should apply to.

If and when I should go down this tricky path with a company (G&L) that refuses to even communicate with me directly the very least they can do is give me the pick-up
colours and knobs I like.. It makes sense now why outside of the US there are so few possibilities to get a custom G&L and why European dealers have given up on them
with comments like: "We no longer are distributers of these guitars because G&L are so difficult to deal with".

Well.. if established dealers are having issues with this company what chance does a mere mortal like me have..

I do believe my desire is waning...

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:34 am

Hi there !

I'm a EU G&L enthousiast as well... it's a pain in the a** to find some 'round here... i was totally amazed to find a new SC2 in the Netherlands for quite a good price (@ Piet Joosten music store)... but forget about choosing anything (even if they have some at EMP)... so I'm stuck to the 2d hand market and found what i wanted... but i don't care about colors and finishes to be honest... ^^

Re: Where to buy a G&L USA Legacy HB (now an HSS)

Sun May 21, 2017 3:34 am

I'm in the market for a 2nd USA model as well. I already own an USA Legacy HSS. Bought it a few year ago when internet was not as big as it is today.
Today I can only find tribute series in Europe. Tried several distributers but no succes. Only 2nd hand models are available.
Good thing is that the value for 2nd hand USA models are rising :) If i ever want to sell my Legacy I probably get more for it than I paid for it a couple of year back :)

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:23 pm

One year later update: A whole year has passed and I am still completely unable to buy a G&L Legacy HSS Jet Black (or any other colour for that matter) in Europe.

We were told told that a new UK distributer would be chosen and up and running by January 2017 but that's now a year ago and still zero.

I have written to G&L directly, also via twitter, Facebook and any other way i can think of to try to order a custom or even a standard Legacy HSS but hey have shown no interest at all in responding to me.

Even distributors in the UK are having the same issue. G&L refuse to even talk to them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN52mQl7po4

So.. i guess i will never be buying one of these guitars not for the lack of trying.

This company treats people including their distributors and customers like rubbish.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:30 pm

This is the official Twitter page of G&L Guitars.. As you can see it's very active. One and only tweet was back in March 2009! :roll:

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:14 am

G&L is more active on Facebook and Instagram.

I just checked the UK Distributor website (http://www.dist-x.com/), go there and then scroll down to the Dealers section (or click on the Dealers link at the top).
If you enter "UK" in location and "G&L" in Choose A Brand, you will find four dealers listed on the map.

Check it out.

Hope this helps.

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:53 pm

Hi Craig,

Oh believe me i tried their Facebook too.. all they do on social media is post endless pics of their latest guitars they are making but zero responses to actual queries to buy one.

I also tried that new UK distributer Dist-X and they have not bothered to reply.

It's not good karma to flog a dead horse and even less advisable to buy something as personal as a musical instrument from people that could really not give a dam about you or even their own distributers for that matter. What a ridiculous and absurd situation. God forbid you ever need a repair or spare part.

I’m completely put off their whole image and attitude.

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:01 pm

Oh believe me i tried their Facebook too.. all they do on social media is post endless pics of their latest guitars they are making but zero responses to actual queries to buy one.

I also tried that new UK distributer Dist-X and they have not bothered to reply.

It's not good karma to flog a dead horse and even less advisable to buy something as personal as a musical instrument from people that could really not give a dam about you or even their own distributers for that matter. What a ridiculous and absurd situation. God forbid you ever need a repair or spare part.

But did you try contacting the four dealers listed? They would be the ones you would be placing an order with.

Here they are:

Merchant City Music Ltd
60 London Road, Glasgow, Scotland, G1 5NB
0141 552 6290
http://www.guitar.co.uk/

Adlib Music
8 Jamaica Street, Greenock, PA15 1XU
01475 786821
http://www.adlibmusic.co.uk

CC Music Shop
Kelvinbridge, 33 Otago Street, Glasgow, G12 8JJ
0141 3397766
http://www.ccmusicshop.com/

Promenade Music
404 Marine Road, Morecambe, Lancashire, LA4 5AR
01524 410202
http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi Shuko. I'm very sorry and also surprised to hear about your experiences with G&L. I live in Australia, and at least I have had no problems communicating with G&L. Regarding your comment about repairs or spare parts, I can say that every time I write their "repairs" contact, I get a response within 24 hours; in terms of spare parts, I have recently bought two different sets of G&L locking tuners from their online website, and they sent them immediately and only charged me $5 for international shipping (the latter pleasantly surprised me because, on ebay, I often have to pay $40-$50 shipping for similar items).

It sounds as if you are put off on the idea of getting the G&L guitar but, if not, have looked into working with someone on this list to buy one in the US and having it sent over there? Or have you looked into buying directly from a US shop (you mentioned it in your original email, but I don't know how much you've looked into it). Most of the G&Ls that I currently own (6 total now), I bought in Australia, but none were directly from G&L distributors in Australia (there is only one here). I know a guy who bought about 6 USA G&Ls from a USA distributor a while ago and had them shipped over here. He did it at a time when the AUD was strong relative to the USD, so it was quite affordable to get them here. I've now bought 4 from him, and I got them all for an affordable price, much less than if I bought them directly from the G&L distributor in Australia (so it can be done).

Anyhow, I don't know if this helps at all, but I thought I'd share my experiences.

David