Blond Commanche RW + Gold Hardware. Scarce or Rare or Unique

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:05 am

I've got a Comanche circa 2001 or thereabouts in trans blond, rw fretboard, and gold hardware. I've never seen another like it in all the years I've owned it. Do you reckon it is totally unique, rare, or just kinda scarce?

When I bought it on Ebay I thought they must be a dime a dozen since it was the first thing that popped up when I searched for a blond comanche with gold hardware. I've seen them with maple fretboards from time to time but not rw.

photo:
http://gtroblq.blogspot.com/2011/04/g-c ... -coil.html

Re: Blond Commanche RW + Gold Hardware. Scarce or Rare or Un

Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:36 pm

ieso, I don't know anything about it being rare but it sure is a looker! -- Darwin

Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks for looking, Darwin. Yeah, it is sweet

Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:53 pm

ieso wrote:I've got a Comanche circa 2001 or thereabouts in trans blond, rw fretboard, and gold hardware. I've never seen another like it in all the years I've owned it. Do you reckon it is totally unique, rare, or just kinda scarce?

When I bought it on Ebay I thought they must be a dime a dozen since it was the first thing that popped up when I searched for a blond comanche with gold hardware. I've seen them with maple fretboards from time to time but not rw.

photo:

I did a search of our G&L Registry and find yours and 3 other Comanches in Blonde finish with gold hardware, see: http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/AUTOREG/interact2.php3?registry_id=1&action=5&model=32&color=5&featfilter=gold&theyr=39&lowyr=1&highyr=39&thesn=&lowsn=&highsn=&serial_num=&multpages=1&printer_fmt=1.

I also notice that yours has a CLxxxxx serial number, which means it was built in 1998 (the first year of the return of the Comanche), See: Production List of G&L Instruments (USA).
I think yours might have been built for NAMM and, at that time Gold Hardware was not an option. Gold hardware as an official option started in 2001 and
by mid-2006 it was dropped from the list of options (due to the high price of gold). Gold hardware was done mostly for NAMM guitars prior to 2001.
I will try and find out the factory history of your guitar later in the week and will post a follow up.

It is a beauty. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:33 pm

Craig, perhaps you could ask about my Comanche which has Blond finish, Ebony FB and gold hardware. My other Blond Comanche with gold hardware has a Maple FB and is indeed a NAMM guitar from 2002. I just have not gotten around to taking the Pickguard off the Ebony Board one yet to see if there are any revealing markings.

This is the 1998 with Ebony and Gold

And here is the 2002 NAMM Comanche with Maple and gold

Serial number for the 1988, Ebony FB, is CLF24709, And the serial number for the 2002 Maple FB is CLF26533

I'm not sure this answers the OP's question as to if there were very many of these made with a Rosewood board, it certainly is of interest and if your contacts can reveal any additional info it would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:58 pm

Thanks, Craig. You'll notice that Guy4Blues owned it before me....my guitar is listed twice -- I guess that's who I bought it from around 2001 or 2001. So there's only one in the reg. that has all three characteristics: blonde finish, rw fretboard, and gold hardware. How cool would it be if this was the NAMM return of the comanche guitar. :alright:

Craig wrote:
ieso wrote:I've got a Comanche circa 2001 or thereabouts in trans blond, rw fretboard, and gold hardware. I've never seen another like it in all the years I've owned it. Do you reckon it is totally unique, rare, or just kinda scarce?

photo:

I did a search of our G&L Registry and find yours and 3 other Comanches in Blonde finish with gold hardware, see: http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/AUTOREG/interact2.php3?registry_id=1&action=5&model=32&color=5&featfilter=gold&theyr=39&lowyr=1&highyr=39&thesn=&lowsn=&highsn=&serial_num=&multpages=1&printer_fmt=1.

I also notice that yours has a CLxxxxx serial number, which means it was built in 1998 (the first year of the return of the Comanche), See: Production List of G&L Instruments (USA).
I think yours might have been built for NAMM and, at that time Gold Hardware was not an option. Gold hardware as an official option started in 2001 and
by mid-2006 it was dropped from the list of options (due to the high price of gold). Gold hardware was done mostly for NAMM guitars prior to 2001.
I will try and find out the factory history of your guitar later in the week and will post a follow up.

Last edited by ieso on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:05 pm

Wow, we must have sister guitars. Rosie and Ebony :alright:

FZTNT wrote:Craig, perhaps you could ask about my Comanche which has Blond finish, Ebony FB and gold hardware. My other Blond Comanche with gold hardware has a Maple FB and is indeed a NAMM guitar from 2002. I just have not gotten around to taking the Pickguard off the Ebony Board one yet to see if there are any revealing markings.

This is the 1998 with Ebony and Gold

And here is the 2002 NAMM Comanche with Maple and gold

Serial number for the 1988, Ebony FB, is CLF24709, And the serial number for the 2002 Maple FB is CLF26533

I'm not sure this answers the OP's question as to if there were very many of these made with a Rosewood board, it certainly is of interest and if your contacts can reveal any additional info it would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:09 pm

ieso wrote:Thanks, Craig. You'll notice that Guy4Blues owned it before me....my guitar is listed twice -- I guess that's who I bought it from around 2001 or 2002. So there's only one in the reg. that has all three characteristics: blonde finish, rw fretboard, and gold hardware. How cool would it be if this was the NAMM return of the comanche guitar. :alright:

Craig wrote:

photo:

I had not noticed that, but which serial number is the correct one (CL27592 or CLF27592)?

Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:18 pm

Craig wrote:
ieso wrote:Thanks, Craig. You'll notice that Guy4Blues owned it before me....my guitar is listed twice -- I guess that's who I bought it from around 2001 or 2002. So there's only one in the reg. that has all three characteristics: blonde finish, rw fretboard, and gold hardware. How cool would it be if this was the NAMM return of the comanche guitar. :alright:

Craig wrote:

photo:

I had not noticed that, but which serial number is the correct one (CL27592 or CLF27592)?

CLF

Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:26 pm

Apparently, Guy4Blues listed this guitar twice in the reg. once with the CL sn and the other time with the CLF sn
http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/AUTOREG/interact2.php3

Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:33 pm

So, on the G&L website it says: "From mid-1998 on, the serial numbers for guitars and basses began with “CLF”." So, this CLF guitar could still be from 1998 ?
http://glguitars.com/faqs/

Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:58 pm

ieso wrote:So, on the G&L website it says: "From mid-1998 on, the serial numbers for guitars and basses began with “CLF”." So, this CLF guitar could still be from 1998 ?

ieso,

See this write-up on serial numbers based on a reasonably large sample of instruments. If yours is the duplicate entry registered as 'CL2####' beyond the correct the 'CLF' prefix, that S/N should correspond more or less with the 2003/2004 time frame when gold hardware was an available option.

- Jos

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:03 pm

ieso wrote:So, on the G&L website it says: "From mid-1998 on, the serial numbers for guitars and basses began with “CLF”." So, this CLF guitar could still be from 1998 ?

See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: Serial number significance.

Hope this helps.

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:12 pm

Craig wrote:

See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: Serial number significance.

Hope this helps.

OK "Beginning in late 1997, G&L employed serial numbers of the
form CLXXXXX, where - as verified by G&L's Dave McLaren - CL stands for
"Clarence Leo" (note that Leo Fender's full name was "Clarence Leo Fender").
This was changed 1-2 years later to the scheme of CLFXXXXX, for all serial numbering."

So, 97 we have CL and "1 -2 years later" we move to CLF. So, it could be 98 after all

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:15 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:

ieso,

See this write-up on serial numbers based on a reasonably large sample of instruments. If yours is the duplicate entry registered as 'CL2####' beyond the correct the 'CLF' prefix, that S/N should correspond more or less with the 2003/2004 time frame when gold hardware was an available option.

- Jos

It had to predate 2003 or 2004 since I bought it used somewhere between 2001 and 2003. I listed it in the reg. in 2003 but not sure how long it took me to get it in there. It was in fine shape but not nearly new

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:29 pm

ieso wrote:
CLF

Ok, I have changed your entry to the correct serial number and removed Guy4Blues' entry.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:36 am

My memory must be terrible. I pulled the neck and the body is dated Oct. 28 2002
The neck has no date but lots of names and the word "Neckwork" ;-)

http://gtroblq.blogspot.com/2018/04/egos-g.html

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:59 am

I may have found a photo of this comanche at the 2003 NAMM show

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:44 am

ieso wrote:I may have found a photo of this comanche at the 2003 NAMM show

I have the same scribbling on my 2002 Comanche neck. Look under the pick guard, that is where they would have written NAMM if if was designated for the show.

Image Image

Tom

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:55 am

okay, I'll check it out.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:05 am

Nope

It says:

Comm

Blnd

RW TGN

WHT CVRS

GOLD

P 225587

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi ieso and Tom,

I heard back from one of my contacts at the factory:

Hi Craig,

Looks like both were sent to Buffalo Brothers Guitars in Carlsbad, CA. Possibly for trade show display…

27592 shows Blonde with Rosewood Fingerboard shipped on 1/30/03

24709 shows Vintage White with Rosewood Fingerboard shipped on 1/25/02

If you need anything else I will have to dig deeper. I only have access to limited serial history on my terminal.

Best Regards,

Jaryd

Hope this helps.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:36 am

Craig wrote:Hi ieso and Tom,

Hi Craig,

Looks like both were sent to Buffalo Brothers Guitars in Carlsbad, CA. Possibly for trade show display…

If you need anything else I will have to dig deeper. I only have access to limited serial history on my terminal.

Best Regards,

Jaryd

Hope this helps.

Thanks Craig. It's odd though because my neck is definitely Ebony not Rosewood. I wonder if it was changed at some point. Seeing as the serial number is on the neck, this must be some kind of anomaly in the records.

Tom

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:17 pm

Hi Craig,

Best Regards,

Jaryd

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Craig. I'm assuming that it was for "trade show display" and *then* off to Buff. Bros.? That photo of the Comanche at NAMM was, I think, Jan. 17

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:31 pm

ieso wrote:

Hi Craig,

Best Regards,

Jaryd

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Craig. I'm assuming that it was for "trade show display" and *then* off to Buff. Bros.? That photo of the Comanche at NAMM was, I think, Jan. 17

Yes, that would be the Winter NAMM show and I likely took the photos of the booth which shows your guitar. Dealers like the Buffalo Bros. get early viewing of the booth and
claim NAMM instruments they want to get for their store which then get shipped to them a few days after the NAMM show is done.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:34 pm

Craig wrote:
ieso wrote:

Hi Craig,

Best Regards,

Jaryd

Hope this helps.

Yes, that would be the Winter NAMM show and I likely took the photos of the booth which shows your guitar. Dealers like the Buffalo Bros. get early viewing of the booth and
claim NAMM instruments they want to get for their store which then get shipped to them a few days after the NAMM show is done.

I don't believe that ieso's guitar is the same one as the one in the NAMM show booth photos. The fretboards are simply not the same. Likewise either is mine but it does say NAMM in the bathtub route but the date would be after the winter NAMM show. I don't know when the next show was but it probably went to that one.

Another interesting matter of note: I further inspected my guitar and it does indeed look like Rosewood according to the grain pattern. It was advertised as Ebony and it sure is the darkest Rosewood I have ever seen but I stand corrected, it's Rosewood so it would be the sister of ieso's guitar. Very interesting, huh? Although mine was built some 5 or 6 months earlier. I will correct the registry tomorrow.

Tom

Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:04 am

I don't think we should be making any more fretboard judgments :shocked003: :mrgreen:

Factory dry wood cf. 15 years of playing wear and 20ish lemon oil applications makes a diff.

Anyways, hard to imagine finishing what might be a one-of-a-kind Comanche like that at the end of Oct and sitting on it until the end of Jan when it was sold to BBros without showing it at NAMM in the interim.
Last edited by ieso on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:11 am

FZTNT wrote:
Another interesting matter of note: I further inspected my guitar and it does indeed look like Rosewood according to the grain pattern. It was advertised as Ebony and it sure is the darkest Rosewood I have ever seen but I stand corrected, it's Rosewood so it would be the sister of ieso's guitar. Very interesting, huh? Although mine was built some 5 or 6 months earlier. I will correct the registry tomorrow.

Tom

I had a MIJ Strat once that an extremely dark rosewood fretboard (with strange dark burgundy and blueish stripes in it) -- looking at it you'd never guess it was RW.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:32 am

Well, I think our guitars are exactly the same. It is Rosewood after all so they are two of a kind. I have not taken the pick guard off to see what it reveals but will post photos when I do. The Maple board Comanche was definitely at NAMM but the one in the fall not winter. If the Rosewood one is from NAMM, you owe me a beer.

Tom

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:02 pm

FZTNT wrote:Well, I think our guitars are exactly the same. It is Rosewood after all so they are two of a kind. I have not taken the pick guard off to see what it reveals but will post photos when I do. The Maple board Comanche was definitely at NAMM but the one in the fall not winter. If the Rosewood one is from NAMM, you owe me a beer.

Tom

Oh, I'll buy you a beer anyway :D

Yours with the RW is "vintage white" according to the factory source unless I'm confusing guitars. Mine's trans. blonde ash

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:06 pm

ieso wrote:
FZTNT wrote:Well, I think our guitars are exactly the same. It is Rosewood after all so they are two of a kind. I have not taken the pick guard off to see what it reveals but will post photos when I do. The Maple board Comanche was definitely at NAMM but the one in the fall not winter. If the Rosewood one is from NAMM, you owe me a beer.

Tom

Yours with the RW is "vintage white" according to the factory source unless I'm confusing guitars. Mine's trans. blonde ash

You may be right on the blond thing. I have two and they look so similar I get the specs confused. I'm old.

Tom

Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:14 pm

FZTNT wrote:
ieso wrote:

Tom

You may be right on the blond thing. I have two and they look so similar I get the specs confused. I'm old.

Tom

Oh, I'm with ya on the old and confused. They make fun of me. :?