Truss rod question

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:39 pm

This question relates to my USA Legacy, but it's a generic question regarding truss rods. I also think I know the answer, but I double-checking.

If you make a truss rod adjustment, shouldn't that change the pitch of the strings? I would have assumed that tightening it would raise the pitch and loosening it would do the opposite. I know that raising or lowering bridge saddles noticeably affects pitch because you're tightening or loosening the string.

I'm asking because I was trying to make a small adjustment on my Legacy. I turned it counterclockwise slightly to loosen it then clockwise for about an 1/8th turn. I then noticed that the pitch hadn't changed at all. Assuming that it should change, this would mean that what I did didn't actually turn the rod (either the nut was moving or the wrench was slipping. Before I do anything else, I wanted to check the answer to this question. Thanks.

Re: Truss rod question

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:18 pm

Sometimes it takes a little while for the wood to settle in to the new
position. The pitch changes won't be as drastic as with saddle adjustments.

Did the relief change with the 1/8 turn ?

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Elwood wrote:Sometimes it takes a little while for the wood to settle in to the new
position. The pitch changes won't be as drastic as with saddle adjustments.

Did the relief change with the 1/8 turn ?

I would have said that it changed it ever so slightly but, when the pitch didn't change, I wondered if it was my imagination. I would have wanted turn it a bit more (i.e., it's still not exactly what I was aiming for) but I became concerned that it wasn't actually turning, so I didn't want to strip it or in some other say damage it.
Last edited by dhgleaves on Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:13 pm

dhgleaves wrote:I would have said that it changed it ever so slightly but, when the pitch didn't change, I wondered it was my imagination. I would have wanted turn it a bit more (i.e., it's still not exactly what I was aiming for) but I became concerned that it wasn't actually turning, so I didn't want to strip it or in some other say damage it.

I hear you buddy. Elwood is correct in that a pitch will change less with a gentle neck relief adjustment. The best solution I have found to verify relief is changing is buying a high quality straight edge (most important) combined with either feller gauges or a Stew-Mac gauge (your choice). Having a straight edge in your arsenal is essential IMHO if you want o do any relief adjustments yourself.

And yes, your approach is spot on: adjustment to a truss rod are typically no more that about a quarter turn of the nut. Especially with G&L's, which have had at least a decent (if not great) set-up at the factory. "Never strip your nuts" ;-)

- Jos