Red, white, and blue G&L Tele for Buck Owens.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:45 pm

I play with a Norwegian Buck Owens tribute band, and our "Buck," is looking for one of these guitars. Leo Fender gave one to Buck, and he used it at his Crystal Palace shows.
Would anybody know where do get hold of such a red, white, and blue G & L Telecaster?

Re: Red, white, and blue G&L Tele for Buck Owens.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:36 pm

Yes, Yes I would. There was only three of them made. I know of the whereabouts of two of them.
Was that Red, White, and Blue or Blue, White, and Red? Just kidding. PM me. Image

Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:26 am

I bet its going to cost a fortune if you want 1 thou :p

Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:49 am

While it would be definitely cool to get a "real" one - why not find a really great playing/sounding ASAT and have it done up in that paint style? Would be a lot less expensive and a nice tribute at the same time.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:18 pm

Yeap shouldnt be too difficult to paint. http://www.paintyourownguitar.com/
I have the copy of the book online if u want to do it this way :)

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:59 pm

Hi there. Here's my new ASAT. I've checked this site from time to time and finally registered. I found this thread and figured it was a good place to start! I've tried to get G&L to do a Buck-O-ASAT for me before but never had any luck. I finally met the right person.
Last edited by Daniel on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:32 pm

:happy0065: Wow, if that ain't an eye-catcher! Nice. I guess you did meet up with the right person to get that one done. At the same time, you must've introduced them to a wad of Ben Franklins for that paint-job. You've set yourself a high bar, having a guitar that looks like that. Good luck.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:48 pm

I thought G&L's up-charge for the paint was very reasonable. This is definitely my favorite ASAT so far.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:59 pm

Daniel wrote:Hi there. Here's my new ASAT. I've checked this site from time to time and finally registered. I found this thread and figured it was a good place to start! I've tried to get G&L to do a Buck-O-ASAT for me before but never had any luck. I finally met the right person.

Wow! Very cool looking ASAT :thumbup:

Could you post a picture of the back of the guitar, too?

Is the headstock finish the same as the blue part of the body? The lighting in the photo makes it look like a different color.
Was this recently built and painted at the G&L factory? This year or ?

Thanks for sharing your custom painted ASAT.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:27 pm

The blue is the same. The guitar is brand new, it was painted by and shipped from G&L on the 22nd and arrived at my dealer yesterday.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:37 pm

That is slick, I like it. which dealer got it through for you if I may ask?

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:22 pm

What's really impressive is that it only took one week. I've never heard of a custom paint job that fast. And if I'm not mistaken, your in Norway Right?
Very impressive service from G&L indeed!

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:54 pm

Norway? Uh, no, I'm in South Carolina. I think it was about eight weeks from the time we finalized the order until the time it shipped. It took it about a week to cross the U.S.. Eastside Guitars and Drums is my local dealer (and a very good one) and they handled the sale. The non-standard paint job was arranged by a friend of mine who works for G&L. I bought quite a few high end guitars through him when he was with another company and when I heard he was back with G&L (I think he was one of their first sales reps "back in the day") I contacted him about getting this done. It was pure coincidence but he had been discussing having one like this made for himself and so he was able to get one for me as well. This is my fifth ASAT-type G&L and I think it may be my favorite so far.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:04 pm

Ooops. I see where the Norway question came from. The OP was in Norway. I guess I should have started a new thread rather than post this guitar here but the subject matter seemed to fit. This would be normal on the other guitar forums I frequent but I am new here so I appologize for highjacking the thread. Should I delete my posts?

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:27 pm

Daniel wrote:Ooops. I see where the Norway question came from. The OP was in Norway. I guess I should have started a new thread rather than post this guitar here but the subject matter seemed to fit. This would be normal on the other guitar forums I frequent but I am new here so I appologize for highjacking the thread. Should I delete my posts?

Nah, your post fits right in. No need to delete it, that's for sure.

It's great to see these special instruments, which do on occasion get built.
Thanks again for sharing it with us.
:sign0011:

Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:25 am

Does anybody knows any site that has a tutorial to teach you how to build the guitar

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:09 am

Hope this isn't off subject but are you going to build a Buck Owens?

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:40 am

Love those Buck-o-ASATs! I have a big-flake blue sparkle Z3 and would dig having the RWB thing to go with it. And no, I can't play up to that "bar." ;)

DUDEILUVGUITAR wrote:Does anybody knows any site that has a tutorial to teach you how to build the guitar

For my money, the Buckocaster build threads on TDPRI are the best source for building a T-style guitar. Hope that's not offensive to anyone here.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:33 am

Hi my name is Paul. I am the owner of one of the three red, white and blue G&L's. I purchased it from my good friend Dale Hyatt in the early 90's. I just learned how to participate on the post. I would welcome further discussion with Odd Lauretsin and Steinar
Schroder. I can be reached at 714-421-2088.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:20 pm

lombardo wrote:Hi my name is Paul. I am the owner of one of the three red, white and blue G&L's. I purchased it from my good friend Dale Hyatt in the early 90's. I just learned how to participate on the post. I would welcome further discussion with Odd Lauretsin and Steinar
Schroder. I can be reached at 714-421-2088.

Glad to have you aboard Paul, Welcome !

You know we'd love to see some pics of your Buck Owens G&L, and of course look forward to seeing you around
to add to the mix.

I recently found Dales name tucked in a Skyhawk pickup route, I imagine it might have been in his collection as some point.
I'm hoping I can find out a little more about it's history. I think I'll have time to tonight to post some pics.

Elwood