New Finishes For G&L?

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:37 pm

I am a G L noobe. I have a Belair Green ASAT Special and love it. I love the history and tradition of G L but is it time for some more modern finishes to be made available? Thoughts?

Re: New Finishes For G&L?

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:13 pm

If I could choose, my G&L would be Bel Air green; congratulations, that's my favorite finish. I'm not clamoring for more finishes, but why not? Couldn't hurt.

(MF Special?)

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:18 pm

docdynamite wrote:I am a G L noobe. I have a Belair Green ASAT Special and love it. I love the history and tradition of G L but is it time for some more modern finishes to be made available? Thoughts?

For the record, G&L currently offers 51 different colors (Standard, Premier and Metal Flake) with a Gloss Top Coat.
In addition, they offer 43 of the Standard and Premier finishes with a Frost Top Coat.
So, they offer 94 unique finishes to choose from for standard production models.
See: September 1, 2017-present Body Finishes.

What do you consider modern finishes? How about naming some examples you would like to see?

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:33 am

I'd personally really love to see more solid, non-metallic colors. @Craig, while their color lineup is indeed impressive, they only have seven solid, non-metallic colors out of that 43.

They don't offer a true blue solid. They don't offer a true turquoise. All those medium blues are missing from the color line and those are my favorites.

The one you see in my avatar is my baby blue ASAT which was replaced with Himalayan. Baby was still a bit too light for what I really wanted but himalayan is even lighter now.

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--MColaK9g--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_1600,q_80,w_1600/v1500668227/oqs614ptigfwx3xl40v9.jpg

Who's with me? Wouldn't that be amazing?

I'd also love a non-metallic orange and yellow. They used to have yellow fever, but discontinued it.

I feel like there is a lot of redundancy in their colors, and big gaps as well.

Emerald Green, emerald blue, lake placid blue, and midnight blue are pretty similar.

Himalayan is not green enough to be daphne, so it's just a slightly darker sonic.

Belair Green is amazing, but it's squarely a seafoam. Not enough blue to be a turquoise.

I really hope to see more non-metallic solids. That's how I roll!

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:36 am

Neon yellow would be cool. Neon yellow metal flake perhaps. Neon red or maybe neon chartreuse

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:28 am

I’m not a fan of the metallic colors either. It’s awesome G&L has as many options as they do but I’ve always preferred grain showing, or just a plain color (e.g. Sonic Blue, or Himalayan). It would be nice if all the metallic options could be ordered “non-metallic”.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:12 am

Craig wrote:How about naming some examples you would like to see?

SUNSET CORAL

Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:01 am

Nubs wrote:
Craig wrote:How about naming some examples you would like to see?

SUNSET CORAL

SWEET!!!
Last edited by docdynamite on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:02 am

Sunset Coral for me. -- Darwin

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Hey they did give us surf green which is a big step IMO. But currently there's a lull in the shell pink/peach/magenta hue offered. Fullerton Red would be the closest and CAR, but those are undoubtedly red.

Come on G&L! Give us the pink! :)

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:57 pm

Nubs wrote:SUNSET CORAL

darwinohm wrote:Sunset Coral for me. -- Darwin

For me too!

:think: Wait a moment ...

- Jos

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:18 am

^^^ Looks more like Shell Pink ^^^

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:14 am

JagInTheBag wrote:^^^ Looks more like Shell Pink ^^^

That is not what they name it in this thing:

- Jos

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:56 am

Hmm...

This is vintage Fender Shell Pink, a 1956 Desoto color, Dupont Number: Duco 2371

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:09 pm

Sunset Coral is Tahitian Coral, a 1958 Chrysler Color:

Ford and GM had their own versions of this color, Cameo Coral and Tahiti Coral respectively.

Here is the Chrysler color:

Image1958 Chrysler 300D Tahitian Coral by Patrick Krook, on Flickr

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:57 pm

Had a blazing pink HM Strat years ago that I miss for some reason, :shocked028:

These are only feeding my GAS now, thank you all.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:50 pm

OMG that Chrysler & Jag are superb!! Major GAS for coral now just like that!

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:01 pm

Nubs wrote:OMG that Chrysler & Jag are superb!! Major GAS for coral now just like that!

The Chrysler, I can help you with...;)

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:15 pm

Hey we got surf green & shell pink. Works for me!

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:19 am

Time to revive this thread. G&L needs some new, more vibrant finishes.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Do like coral/pink - Here's a 55 Chevy I own my dad rebuilt, repainted with the original code colors:

Here's a guitar I repainted a car color; there's a lot of checking in the Duplicolor over ten years later:

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:07 pm

love it!

Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:11 pm

docdynamite wrote:Time to revive this thread. G&L needs some new, more vibrant finishes.

Since this post was originally posted, G&L had released new Dealer Price Lists in late January and February of this year.
In addition, they have also announced a full Custom Shop. See these posts in the G&L Knowledgebase forum:
January 25, 2018-present G&L U.S. Specifications & Options
January 28, 2018-present Tribute Series Production Models
Feb. 1, 2018-present Custom Shop Specifications & Options
You will find some new finishes listed and several examples of each (Galaxy Black, Pharaoh Gold Firemist, Rally Red, and Shell Pink).
In addition, the Custom Shop has some custom finishes. You can see some of them in various posts in this sub-forum. If you don't see a color you are looking for,
contact one of the Custom Shop Dealers and ask them to check with the Sales Department to see if they will approve the color finish you want (Thin Urethane, Nitrocellulose or Polyurethane).

Hope this helps.

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:01 pm

Personally speaking, I wish they'd make more Rampages or at least offer it as a standard production model and then bring back not only the 80's era colors Black, White, Yellow, Rampage Red, and Hot Pink, but offer up some new colors that were never done on a Rampage before. The Jerry Cantrell Signature model is available in Ivory, Black and Whiskey , yes....but take it beyond that and go a step further in the color options. \m/

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:32 am

Kenny821 wrote:Personally speaking, I wish they'd make more Rampages or at least offer it as a standard production model and then bring back not only the 80's era colors Black, White, Yellow, Rampage Red, and Hot Pink, but offer up some new colors that were never done on a Rampage before. The Jerry Cantrell Signature model is available in Ivory, Black and Whiskey , yes....but take it beyond that and go a step further in the color options. \m/

X2 , the Signature part ruins it for me too , I would rather order a Rampage and pick my own options and lightweight wood , no offence to Jerry

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:37 am

Fumble fingers wrote:
Kenny821 wrote:Personally speaking, I wish they'd make more Rampages or at least offer it as a standard production model and then bring back not only the 80's era colors Black, White, Yellow, Rampage Red, and Hot Pink, but offer up some new colors that were never done on a Rampage before. The Jerry Cantrell Signature model is available in Ivory, Black and Whiskey , yes....but take it beyond that and go a step further in the color options. \m/

X2 , the Signature part ruins it for me too , I would rather order a Rampage and pick my own options and lightweight wood , no offence to Jerry

I don't see that happening anytime soon. You might check with a G&L Custom Shop dealer and see if Sales would approve a non-signature Custom Shop Rampage build.