SC-2 and F-100 Taking Time Off?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:05 am

Saw this comment on G&L Facebook page. Anyone notice this? It was related to a question if any neck profile options for SC-2/Fallouts yet.

"G&L Musical Instruments Well, not really. Plus the SC-2 and F-100 are going to take some time off. We're going to tinker with them. After NAMM it'll probably make sense what we might be up to."

The follow up comments were interesting:

"Blake Reynolds G&L Musical Instruments I'm still wishing upon a star for the return of those angled cavalier humbuckers! A man can dream!"

"G&L Musical Instruments Blake Reynolds I haven't had a Cav in like 25 years. I almost bought a nice one off Reverb, but the color combo was same as the '86 Skyhawk, so I dithered and now it's gone. Anyway, I'm going in a direction I think you'll like."

Wonder what they might be up too? Maybe return to more vintage vibe? Return of the Cavalier? Intrigued...

Re: SC-2 and F-100 Taking Time Off?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:40 am

WitSok wrote:Saw this comment on G&L Facebook page. Anyone notice this? It was related to a question if any neck profile options for SC-2/Fallouts yet.

"G&L Musical Instruments Well, not really. Plus the SC-2 and F-100 are going to take some time off. We're going to tinker with them. After NAMM it'll probably make sense what we might be up to."

The follow up comments were interesting:

"Blake Reynolds G&L Musical Instruments I'm still wishing upon a star for the return of those angled cavalier humbuckers! A man can dream!"

"G&L Musical Instruments Blake Reynolds I haven't had a Cav in like 25 years. I almost bought a nice one off Reverb, but the color combo was same as the '86 Skyhawk, so I dithered and now it's gone. Anyway, I'm going in a direction I think you'll like."

Wonder what they might be up too? Maybe return to more vintage vibe? Return of the Cavalier? Intrigued...

Yes, I saw that last night and added it to my list for discussion with Darth and company next week at NAMM.
I'll find out what I can report about after the NAMM show.

Stay tuned.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:01 am

I know they've been posting more vintage G&L stuff on their instagram and on their F100 they mentioned something about the controls possibly having been too much. I'm wondering if there's been under performing sales on the F100 Return model and SC2 and my take is that the new versions are too far off from the original in terms of looks. I've been on the hunt for months of a classic style SC2 with the control plate and slab body on top of wanting that vintage neck profile. I understand adopting the more traditional looks for the S and T style guitars but part of me wishes they had gone more old school for both the F100 and SC2. There's something special about the slab body look of an SC2 and for both models that control plate

Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:33 am

I know I've seen in the past the reason given for no neck options on the SC-2 and F-100 was due to their low sales volumes. My hope is that during this time off, they refine these models and bring back some of the vintage appointments. I this the SC-2 would definitely benefit from the vintage style control plate. Crinkle black would be cool, but even chrome to match the Saddle Lock bridge would work in my opinion. The few comments I've seen on the F-100 sounds like it would really benefit from the PBT controls. For some reason the lack of the control plate didn't bother me as much on the F-100 as the SC-2. But I'm guessing by the time you add PBT controls, the control plate would improve the aesthetics. I think return of some of the vintage appointments could really help sales on some of the lower volume models. Just my opinions.

I'm really intrigued how G&L said replied to Blake that they are going in a direction that they think he'll like especially when Blake's comment was about wishing for the return for the slanted humbuckers of the Cavalier....

Either way, I'm excited to see what comes out of NAMM and how that hints at the direction G&L is going!

Rock On! Dan

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:45 pm

Hopefully they come back with the black control panels!
I'd like to see the Band of Susans type mods done to the SC-2.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:54 pm

Control Plate and a double Humbucker option for the SC2 , SD's or MFD's would be fine by me ( or option of either in matched set)

Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:59 pm

I wouldn't even hate if they had changed the headstock design to use whatever other common shapes between their S and T lines on these to give us neck options. The 12" radius for me has been a real deal breaker.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:16 pm

WitSok wrote:I know I've seen in the past the reason given for no neck options on the SC-2 and F-100 was due to their low sales volumes. My hope is that during this time off, they refine these models and bring back some of the vintage appointments. I this the SC-2 would definitely benefit from the vintage style control plate. Crinkle black would be cool, but even chrome to match the Saddle Lock bridge would work in my opinion. The few comments I've seen on the F-100 sounds like it would really benefit from the PBT controls. For some reason the lack of the control plate didn't bother me as much on the F-100 as the SC-2. But I'm guessing by the time you add PBT controls, the control plate would improve the aesthetics. I think return of some of the vintage appointments could really help sales on some of the lower volume models. Just my opinions.

I'm really intrigued how G&L said replied to Blake that they are going in a direction that they think he'll like especially when Blake's comment was about wishing for the return for the slanted humbuckers of the Cavalier....

Either way, I'm excited to see what comes out of NAMM and how that hints at the direction G&L is going!

Rock On! Dan

I think the control plate on the SC-2s are gret(I'd want chrome not black), but I think the original L-2000 and f-100 plates were pretty ugly. I actually really like the F-100 return edition. The only reason i didn't order one was because A. they discontinued Yellow Fever which is what color I'd have gotten, and B, they don't offer the modern classic C which is the best neck profile they offer by far IMO.

But yeah. the sc-2 control plate is awesome.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:33 pm

I really hope the F-100 sticks around as a model - I love my 2014 model. It does, how ever, REALLY need the passive bass control. The current production F-100 pickups are quite a bit darker than the 80s version (thank goodness).

After breaking out a drill and doing the following changes to the electronics, it has become my #1.
- Swapped out 500k volume pot for a 250k pot with a 200pF treble bleed cap (just like a Comanche). I can now ride the volume without everything becoming a muddy mess.

- Swapped the trebble pot with a no-load pot to compensate for the extra loading of the new volume pot. I really didn't want to darken up the sound.

- Drilled out a hole for a 3rd pot and added a passive bass control. This is ENORMOUSLY helpful on this guitar given how thick sounding the pickups are in humbucking mode.

Anway, if the tweaks they do are similar to the above, I'll be really happy.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:11 pm

Looking at the pictures of the new Legacy RMC, I think one of those would scratch most of my F-100 itches. Just add an option for the MFD humbuckers, and I'm there. :D

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:58 pm

I am Blake btw! I'm the one who wrote that comment. as you can see from my avatar, I have a lust for offset humbuckers.my dream is to have an asat deluxe with cavalier pickups. I'm gonna keep begging at g&I's doorstep ;)

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:27 pm

My guess is that they will be coming back with control plates. The F-100 will likely also re-emerge with PTB. Other control plate models are also likely on the horizon if you read between the lines...I am very, very excited.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:41 pm

Just saw the new/old L-2000 on the Facebook page - they've gone back to the old no-tit headstock and brought in the control plate. My hopes are high that black hardware will also come back, along with an SC-1.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:21 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:Just saw the new/old L-2000 on the Facebook page - they've gone back to the old no-tit headstock and brought in the control plate. My hopes are high that black hardware will also come back, along with an SC-1.

Looking forward to pics of that (I'm not on FB, can you post one?)

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:32 pm

Elwood wrote:
blargfromouterspace wrote:Just saw the new/old L-2000 on the Facebook page - they've gone back to the old no-tit headstock and brought in the control plate. My hopes are high that black hardware will also come back, along with an SC-1.

Looking forward to pics of that (I'm not on FB, can you post one?)

Hey Elwood.
You should be able to see it at this URL
Code:
https://www.facebook.com/GnLguitars/
without being signed up or logged in. Just click the "not now" button on the sign up/log in nag screen and then scroll down a few posts.

Hope all s well.
Cheers
Robbie

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:30 am

Pretty Cool,thanks,
...and good ta see ya Robbie!

I'm guessing these have the six recessed neck screws.
Nice to see that control plate again. :thumbup:

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:27 am

I'm honestly not crazy about the control plates. They're kind of an ugly shape. I just want those Cavalier pickups modernized and reissued!!

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:53 am

neutralomen wrote:I'm honestly not crazy about the control plates. They're kind of an ugly shape. I just want those Cavalier pickups modernized and reissued!!

I agree, they’re a bit chintzy in chrome, but love the black crinkle on the SC-2s and love that they’re going down this path. I’m going to start saving up :thumbup:

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:55 am

I actually think the control plate looks great on these basses! :D As I mentioned, the lack of the control plate on the new F-100 didn't really bother me. For some reason the plate on a F-100 looks a bit crowded with how the one corner comes right up to the bridge pickup. I think it is the same plate as used on these basses. From the reviews I've read, the main thing I took away is the F-100 really would benefit from the PBT controls. Many have commented that the pickups are very dark, so some base roll off would be welcome.

As for the 1st and 2nd body style SC's, I love the control plate! Smooth clean lines, it follows the shape of the body nicely. There is nothing "ugly" about the SC plate IMO. Without a control plate it look too sparse. Personally I like some of the modern features on the new SC-2, the contours, new medium jumbo frets, 12" fingerboard radius, plus being able to pick your finish and fingerboard material... I also love the black crinkle hardware, but it needs to be matched. I would rather have a chrome control plate to go with a chrome Saddle-Lock bridge rather than having a black crinkle plate with chrome bridge. So I'd be very open and tempted by a new SC-2 with vintage style control plate. :think:

I kind thought they might be headed in the more vintage direction when they had picture showing a new control plate laid on top of on old drawing for the control plate. Like I stated at the beginning, I'm intrigued where this all may go. I really like some of the old designs which at where just too different for the market. Now I think the market is used to more unique designs and return to some of these old feature may help distinguish G&L from the masses. So many already think G&L is just some Fender knock-off... If they would only take some time to learn the history!

:banana:

Cheers, Dan

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:53 pm

Vintage L-2000s! This is something! (Probably should be its own thread). Perhaps this is the start of a "vintage series". Hopefully, we will soon see the next installments: L-1000, SC-1 and SC-2, F-100, then possibly a Cavalier or HG-2.... and if we are really lucky: vintage El Toro reissue!!! :banana:

The facebook post said that the vintage L-2000s have the "90s lightweight bodies" so I suppose we won't get the nice maple or mahogany bodies from the 80s. But, hopefully they will have the 80s style necks: slender, solid and fast! And yes, please bring back the black crinkle plates!!!!

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:24 pm

OMG, the new L2Ks have the magic 80s knobs.

My wife is going to REALLY hate this. :D